Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Potential Inspection!

Guest debbiel15

Guest debbiel15

Hi

New to forum and was wondering if anyone had experience of when Inspectors visit settings following changes within.

I took over as Supervisor in November and have only just received an expensive health report from the doctor to send on to Ofsted so all the formalities have been completed from my end.

I understand that there are triggers for when Ofsted could carry out inspections and one of them is change of Manager.

This has really put the willies up me as I'm in the thick of reviewing the policies and procedures that should have been done last year before I took over. I feel completely overwhelmed with it all and lack substantial support from the rest of the team due to their lack of confidence in this area. (a predesessor was very efficient at paperwork and organisation but never involved the staff in the process)

Has anyone experienced inspections following this type of change and if so what timescales were involved. My half term break (badly needed) is looking less attractive as the day wears on!

Many thanks for any advice/information

:o

Think it is a bit erratic.. the manager who took over from me had her suitability Interview within 2 weeks of sending in the paperwork..

she took over in July...

and at the same time they changed from sessional to extended care..

plus change in committee....

so a lot of changes...

but they are still waiting for an Inspection..

Inge

Edited by Inge

My experience of taking over as supervisor of my group was six years ago so might not be relevant. Ofsted arranged my suitable persons interview with my boss - and it happened in my first week. :o So we knew when it was - no sudden visit.

On the basis of that I was deemed 'suitable' and Mrs O didn't look at any paperwork or anything - possibly because the registered person hadn't changed.

So you may not get an inspection at all until you're due for one!

What do other people know though - as I said, this was six years ago!

Good luck - whatever happens!

Maz

I think they are alerted by change - I was manager for 4 months and they visited.

If nothing else it does make you get on and get everything up to date and ship-shape, but the stress is horrendous! But the relief when they have been and gone is fabulous......it shouldn't feel like this should it, what other job is like this? :oxD

Mine was a long time ago, and I think she had a form which she ticked and wrote short comments on (came back 2 weeks later cos she'd missed a page out!) but to make you realise just how human they are I'll tell you what the inspector asked me.

Having noticed we hadnt got any sand out and hearing my explanation that a parent was on the look out for some for us, she asked 'Cant you use builders sand?'

I passed!

Good luck with it and dont panic. You're new to the setting which is why they are doing the interview. Have an action plan ready to show her that you know there are areas to improved on and what you're going to do about them. :o

I took over my pre-school in September 2007 and wasn't inspected until July!!! I spent every single journey to pre-school last year worried that they would be there!! I was in exactly the same position as you though debbiel15 with updating paperwork (although have already had to update it all again this year!!) You just never know when they will come!

Cx

Not a fun time for you!

I took over as Temporary Supervisor of a group that had great, enthusiastic staff but had rather lost it's way. I had to set up a Key Working system and a clear set of planning (pre- EYFS) which I did over the Summer hols. I started my role in the September and two weeks in I had an visit from Mrs O. Worse - it was the same inspector I had had a run-in with a few years earlier when I was Childminding, and oh yes, she remembered me...

However, the years had mellowed both of us and the inspection was OK, mainly because I was able to show (through talking to the inspector) that I had put new practices in place and got things (like a review of the policies) planned. With hindsight, an Action Plan would have been a really good thing, so I am with Rea who suggested you put an Action Plan together to show the Inspector that you are aware of what needs to be done, who is going to action it and that you have a time scale. If you plan to get your staff more involved, put that down in the AP as well.

Don't forget it is not just down to you, delegate where you can to staff and committee. It'll share your load and it helps people to feel more part of the running of the group.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest debbiel15

Many thanks to you all for replying.

Since the post, I've actually started an action plan and discussed the workload and objectives with the committee and the rest of the team.

They're all now aware of the necessity to tackle and put our practice into ship shape condition (although not necessarily happy about it) and understand they need to also take an active part in the process.

I'm still feeling nervous, sick, uneasy, etc about the prospect of the big O descending on me every single day but bit by bit I chip away at the seemingly insurmountable mountain I'm faced with.

I suppose I should keep telling myself...stop worrying cos it won't change the outcome! Just get on with it and deal with it when it happens....yeh right it sounds so easy doesn't it....but I'm only human!!

Many thanks to you all for replying.

Since the post, I've actually started an action plan and discussed the workload and objectives with the committee and the rest of the team.

They're all now aware of the necessity to tackle and put our practice into ship shape condition (although not necessarily happy about it) and understand they need to also take an active part in the process.

I'm still feeling nervous, sick, uneasy, etc about the prospect of the big O descending on me every single day but bit by bit I chip away at the seemingly insurmountable mountain I'm faced with.

I suppose I should keep telling myself...stop worrying cos it won't change the outcome! Just get on with it and deal with it when it happens....yeh right it sounds so easy doesn't it....but I'm only human!!

I think (but don't quote me) that Ofsted Inspectors are human too. :o:(

Hi debbiel15, a warm welcome from me too, I love your attitude, and the way you've got your 'team' around you shaping up to 'ship shape' fashion. xD Well done, I'm sure you will be fine when they turn up. Just one thing for your insurmountable list (and I'm sure you've thought of this as you seem so efficient), have a look at the settings previous Ofsted report and try to address any actions on it. :(

Peggy

Do you have access to your setting's online SEF? I'm told that its status changes immeidately prioir to inspection - so if you check every day and suddenly see the status change then you'll know the dreaded O are about so descend. I haven't seen this at first hand (although I have got into the habit of checking every day). :o

Perhaps someone who checks their SEF and who has been inspected can share with us what the status of their SEF said immediately prior to inspection?

Maz

Guest debbiel15

I had heard the same thing about the SEF being 'suspended' a few days before the descent of the O. Unfortunately, we've not submitted ours yet...I was wading through the action plan first. I've recently attended a training course about writing the SEF and again, need to allocate time for the team and I to start this process. I know that once you start to submit, something has to be in each box even if it's 'to be actioned by....' I plan to get something submitted within the next few weeks but my priority is the policies up to date, continuous provision revised and re-produced and our risk assessments updated.....then the process of SEF begins.

Thanks for the tip Maz...I had downloaded our last report and am going over it with a fine tooth comb. I've also downloaded a few of the new style reports to get some sense of where the O is coming from...looking at satisfactory outcomes in relation to those who've achieved the holy grail of Outstanding (one such setting in my area recently).

I'll keep chipping away but appreciate all contributions to my ongoing stress inducer.....haha!

Debbie

I found that downloading other local setting's reports extremely useful too as it seems inspectors vary around the country. Good luck, it'll be fine. Just remember that any critisms they give are only there to help you improve and after all, hopefully,they wont be back again for a few years!!!!!!