Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tips For Being The Only Adult In The Room

I'm interested to know how often other reception classes have one adult in the room. And also how you manage this.

I am by myself in the afternoon with 26 children and I feel I can't do meaningful focus activities and spend all my time

' classroom managing'

Its hard to get observations done as I don't have the time.

thanks in advance

Hi mrs pepperpot

This was one of my real bu bears with the EYFS, I really hoped like many others that a legal ratio of 15:1 would apply to reception classes.

I always worked with shared support in reception so we had every other session on our own with 30 children. So I sympathise.

Is it possible for you to speak to your head and ask how you can deliver the EYFS effectively with one adult. (point out that a better ratio IS good practice and therefore you are not operating best practice)

Out of interest, how many reception teachers are managing classes n their onw?

Hi ,

I know exactly where you're coming from as it is a continuing problem in my school. On a Monday, Thursday and Friday pm I am on my own with my class of 30 and yet "all children's needs with additional behavioural issues are being met" Well I don't think they are if you have two children who need constant supervision and what are you meant to do with the other 28???

When I have tried to raise it the constant response is "We have no money" to have additional staff but sometimes we have no TA support for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2. In the past I have tried to include more parent helpers in the afternoon but that hasn't been possible so far this year.

Any ideas would be really useful as I am sure we all have times like this.

Nicky Sussex :o

I too am on my own every afternoon with 29 Reception pupils. It makes indoor, outdoor provision impossible. We can only use our outdoor area in a morning. Financial restraints are given as the excuse for no p.m. TA. I also wish that EYFS had made 15-1 a statutory ratio in Reception classes.

So glad its not just me experincing this frustration, the other reception teachers are in similar positions. It also concerns me that my TA is reguarly ( a day a week) in charge of my class while i'm out. Its all due to money too.

As mundia said this is one of the contradictions of EYFS. To provide this type of curriculum requires a higher ratio of adults to children. 1-30 is an absolute nightmare. How teachers are expected to supervise outdoors teach and observe 30 children alone is a mystery.

Does she have to have extra qualifications to be responsible for the same numbers of children as you?

She doesn't require an extra qualification to cover for single days another contradiction of EYFS

It really doesn't seem right, does it. Hmmm. I wonder what the answer is?

In an ideal world, we whould be educating parents about what the EYFS is about, and empowering them to ask about how many adults will be teaching and caring for their child whilst they are at school.

It is probably a good job my children are so much older now - I'd probably be the parent from hell (adding to my delinquent parent status)!

This thread does make me realise that in this respect at least (ratios) we are very lucky in pre-school.

Maz

If you have no additional adult in the pm you could make the am totally adult directed and the pm totally child initiated thus ensuring a 50/50 balance as required????? (Very tongue in cheek)

It is really annoying. And unfair.

Cx

The classes TA is a level 3.

There are 3 reception classes in similar situations.

It just makes me sad, because my school day and the learning that takes place looks nothing like I thought it would when I started.

Hi, am also in similar situation but with a mix rec/yr1 and no support. I take photographs of different activites going on and record later. I also set challenges to keep others busy while I quickly observe others and make sure yr1 are on task. Basically its an juggling act which gets to you because you feel you are not doing your best. Parental help may be an option. The powers above are governed by money issues and without experiencing the problems themselves will not understand how EYFS has moved the goal posts without consideration for teachers without support.

Maybe this is why Ed Balls has suggested 16 yr olds are employed as apprentices in classes, an extra body at minimum wage. :oxD

I really don't see how the basics of even H&S can be met with these ratio's let alone any significant learning taking place. Teachers have my full empathy in this matter.

Peggy

I heard somewhere that you get an extra pair of eyes handed out with a teaching cert. Hmm, perhaps Ed Balls heard that too - and believes it.

Yes and I know for a fact that when you achieve EYPS you get an extra two pairs of hands too - how else would they justify the 1:13 ration in pre-school. :o

I'm interested to know how often other reception classes have one adult in the room. And also how you manage this.

I am by myself in the afternoon with 26 children and I feel I can't do meaningful focus activities and spend all my time

' classroom managing'

Its hard to get observations done as I don't have the time.

thanks in advance

Interestingly we are having our yearly visit from H&S perhaps this is the route to go down - the EYFS says that children require outdoor provision when they wish it which entials an adult being in the OLE at all times when children are engaged in self initiated play and learning which should be 80% of the time they spend in the unit - perhaps some risk assessments about how the children are accessing this area of learning and development but that the risk of injury is high level as there is not a dedicated member of staff available to scaffold learning - these risk assessments are looked at by the Governoring body H&S team and they also have a duty of care linked to the curriculum committee so is the school governing body failing in their duty of care? The problem is we just put up with this because as good teachers were were good pupils and always did are we were told perhaps the time has come to be a little more agressive (in the nicest possible way) about what we are prepared to do and how we will achieve this - mind it doesn't make you popular and you certainly won't be appointed into management positions in your county - but such is life

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)