Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Play Resources

I've got a bit of money allocated to spend out outside play equipment and was curious to find ouit what sort of resources you all have for your outside area and if there was anything you would recommend or anything that you have bought and regret.

I'm thinking permanent equipment as well as resources that can come and go as requested by the children.

I look forward to reading your replies x

Carpet sample squares 4 for £1 from the local carpet shop (money raised donated to Children in Need) We have a pile and the children cart them around if they want to sit as 80% of the outside is tarmac, use them in their role play for houses etc or small world.

This might sound a bit of a dippy question, but if they paint on perspex attached to a wall, doesn't the paint run down the wall when it's cleaned off?

Thinking about it, I suppose it depends on how much water you use :o

Hi, I'd be tempted to make the outside area suitable for all weathers and times of the day. Have you thought about an awning which be good for rainy days and really hot days. Wellies and oull over macs that could be kept at nursery. A decent, coverable sand pit. And, although quite expensive Community Playthings large blocks,

http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/products/blocks/hollowblocks/B501.html

(kept inside but wheeled outside in their case) are fantastic for childrens' imaginations: making dens and cars etc...

Good luck

Thanks for all your replies - I've probably got about £1000 to spend - not sure whether to go for a bigger item or develop boxes with lots of different resources.

We borrowed a 'windy day' resource box from our local resource centre. Do you have one of those? If so, you could try there first and borrow things before purchasing, to make sure that you get what you really want

I would definately get those community play blocks, we loaned some from our LA for a term and oh my goodness, the children loved them and were so upset whent the EYAT took them back that the manager said "oh blow the budget" and bought us some of our own! They inspire the most wonderful,y creative play, if we read a story before we go outside, you can bet your bottom dollar that the children will somehow incorporate these blocks into recreating the story themselves. (A bridge in 3 Billy Goats Gruff, a Caravan from Ted's Shed, A Boat from Mr. Gumpy- you get the idea). They also like to make see-saws from them and balancing obstacle courses, everything! Can you tell I think they're mega?

Other suggestions:

- drain pipes/guttering, we have some loose and some fixed to the fence for construction and also, water/small ball shutes.

- Camoflauge netting, makes a fabulous den.

- A Couple of A frames, barrels, planks, for some Climbing Opportunities

- A water but with a tap.

I think the best outside resources aren't really expensive things, a box of fabric and pegs to build dens, some dolly pegs and ribbon to make streamers for the windy days, tyres for planting in or climbing on. Pots of water and paintbrushes for painting the fence, chalks for mark making on the floor.

Ohh have fun with your outdoor area, I loved developing ours and I'm moving rooms on Monday so I get to do it all again in 2-3's :) YAY!.

HTH

Edited by Guest

You lucky thing! Do you get a budget too?

Me??????

If so then no, no budget. Generally our nurseries budget is "the cheaper the better" lol :o It's all good fun though, makes me think about things a lot more. That said, we do have a £40 credit note for B and Q so we may well be spending that. I love the outside area, it get's me all excited and child like! xD

x

Where did you get your big blocks from - and have you got a picture?

earlyearsjules posted the link a few posts up Cait!

I can thoroughly recommend them - best investment I ever made in terms of resources!

Maz

I have a numeracy trolley (just the plastic storage type from argos) and filled it with various resources including skittles, large plastic snakes and ladders with large dice, and number tiles. Also have a CLLD one filled with pots and paintbrushes, chalks, ribbons on sticks, paper. These trolleys just get wheeled in and out each day and are easy enough for the children to wheel about too! Also because they are waterproof they can come out in any weather. Ive also stapled plastic wallets to the fence with writing materials in (pencils, crayons, felt tips) and numbers for pegging on a number line. I bought some hanging baskets and filled with plastic musical instruments which can also stay out whatever the weather. Also we have pots and pans and various cooking utensils hanging on the fence which act as musical instruments. These were donated by parents. The children decorated them with paints too!

Where did you get your big blocks from - and have you got a picture?

They are the Community Play Blocks that Early Years Jules Mentioned, they were about £300 but as I said, the children were mortified when the loaned ones went back so the manager 'juggled' the budget so that we could have them. Bless her! It's the most expensive piece of kit we've had since the nursery was built and resourced 10 years ago! lol!

Definately agree Maz, they are fab!

Edited by Guest

Awww there's some fantastic stuff on that site - what could you do if you had money eh!

Indeed Cait - but my theory is that they last so long that if you work out the cost on a per child/per day play value they represent extremely good value for money! Am still wondering if I can get havennursery's Community Playthings table in my cupboard - but have to remember Peggy's is still calling out to be danced on!

I really want a self-selection trolley from Community Playthings next - and you can buy the display board that attaches to the back so it can act as a room divider too. Guess what my final EYPS payment is going to go on?! :o

Can I put that in my SEF?

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)