Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Not Allowed Outside

Its when it's other members of staff who don't think children should be outside unless it's gloriously sunny (what's that, 3 weeks in the year?!) That's what drives me MAD!!!! :(:o:(

I'll bet you feel better now you've said that, emmajess! xD

It would be part of my policy and would let the child out... invite parent in for the morning.

I have a problem like this coming up where we have a chance to take our group to a forest school but one is child in not allowed out of the setting on any trip so wish me luck on this one ....im gonna invite parent to the school with us!!

GOOD LUCK suer :(

and lynned55, I was about to say that all those little colds help all the little children to build up their immunity systems to help ensure that as adults they don't so easily get the dreaded flu, maybe your husband stayed indoors as a child too. xD :wacko: :o

Speaking of chills, I've just had the worst cold ever, I'm sure it's because, since retiring, I'm not around snotty nosed little children anymore. :(:( When working at preschool I very rarely caught a cold.

Peggy

I remember having a similar scenario when a particularly fussy parent didn't want their child playing outside and by the way could we keep him out of the sand too!

I was very professional about it all and tried to get my point across that way, but it clearly wasn't working. In the end told mum that I wasn't prepared to compromise the safety of the other 38 children by asking staff to be constantly on the lookout for her child and that if she expected us to do that then maybe our setting wasn't 'for them' :o .

She stonked off which left me feeling sick! I was expecting the head to sack me at any moment. About an hour later she rang up full of apologies and since then we had a much better relationship with her!

The next time I the parent dropped the child off and I was there. They said directly to me that as it was cold today surely we wouldn't be letting any of the children outside. I explained that we would be. I asked whether their child would be allowed outside and they reluctantly said yes. I said how brilliant that was as the last time the child wasn't allowed outside they had been very very upset and had played alone as all the other children were outside. The parent hasn't since asked for the child to be kept inside.

Elfy

x

:o but i guess the fact that they arrive about 20 mins before the start of the session and stand around outside in the cold/rain waiting to 'get rid' off their little darlings doesnt matter!!!!!

Or when they arrive by car in jumper or cardigan......get dropped off by mum and on their way out tell you...'ooh they have a bit of a cold/cough today' xD

Oh yeah! that really annoys me - we had one girl a couple of years ago who used to turn up in just a strappy princess dress and skinny 'slippers'. Mum said 'well she insisted on wearing it' and I used to fume and think 'who's in charge in your house!!'

So, one nice fizzly wet day, we all went outside to dig over the flower bed, and we said that she had to come too, (bit harsh perhaps, but honestly we'd stayed inside for 3 days because of her unsuitable attire) and we made sure she did plenty of digging, and the dress got good and wet and filthy and only a little bit torn, and of course the strappy shoes were beyond redemption, but hey - she never did it again. Mum didn't say a word, although I had such a great speech prepared - I felt quite cheated!

Oh yeah! that really annoys me - we had one girl a couple of years ago who used to turn up in just a strappy princess dress and skinny 'slippers'. Mum said 'well she insisted on wearing it' and I used to fume and think 'who's in charge in your house!!'

In our setting, our Deputy Supervisor is very good about recognising (and reminding us) how difficult life can be in the morning getting children up and dressed and out of the house in time to do the multiple drop offs that our parents face each morning. So we smile brightly when little Johnny brings in his seven foot light sabre or comes in wearing his full Arsenal kit (including goalie's gloves) when its ten degrees below - even when mum is mortified that yet again she's given in for a quiet life.

We have spare wellies for those who don't bring them and can usually cater for most children. However we have a very fashion conscious little girl in our group who never has spare outdoor shoes and this has been exercising me for some time. With our outdoor area descending into a mud bath since the snow I found a spare pair of flowery doodles and an old pair of black plimsolls and told her that she would need to wear these because she didn't have proper indoor shoes. She hated the doodles (too young for a big grown up girl like her) and reluctantly wore the black plimsols (too dull for a fashion icon). But from then on she has made sure her mum packs her wellies so she can continue to wear her favourite shoes inside!

Result!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)