Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ecers

I'm quite excited - I've just been asked to go on some ECERS training so that I can at a later date audit settings on behalf of my local authority! xD

I'm sure they've asked all the usual suspects but it is nice that someone thinks I can do something useful!

I hope I can get some cover sorted so that I can go on the training (five whole days out of the setting). You just know I'll be boring for England on the subject before too long! :o

Maz

Woo Maz! how fantastic! plenty of spondoolix too?

Well I don't think I'm going to get rich because of it, Cait. They're funding the training and paying for cover but the way you pay them back is to do some audits for them. I don't know how much the training costs but I imagine its a considerable investment.

I'm seeing this as an investment in my future rather than a get rich quick scheme. Will it make me rich? Will it ECERS-like!

Sorry - couldn't resist that one! :o

Well I don't think I'm going to get rich because of it, Cait. They're funding the training and paying for cover but the way you pay them back is to do some audits for them. I don't know how much the training costs but I imagine its a considerable investment.

I'm seeing this as an investment in my future rather than a get rich quick scheme. Will it make me rich? Will it ECERS-like!

Sorry - couldn't resist that one! :o

HAHAHAHA fantastic - glad I gave you the opportunity to pun! No ennui visible here then!

umm asked me too Maz!!!! but out for 2 weeks doing jury service eeeekkkkkk - but that is 3rd week sand have put temp cover in already at work - so asked chair??? what do you think my chances are M????? :o

what do you think my chances are M????? :o

Not sure, hali! But I do know its a good opportunity - so if the group won't sort out cover maybe the borough can?

Would be great to do it together though! xD

Maz

we had ecers done in 2006.

It is a good tool to use you can use it alongside any action plans and or with your reflective practice

we scored very highly on it.

our eyat did ours and it was something that Kent took on board in 2006

there is also Itters (for infant and toddlers)

I'm quite excited - I've just been asked to go on some ECERS training so that I can at a later date audit settings on behalf of my local authority! :(

I'm sure they've asked all the usual suspects but it is nice that someone thinks I can do something useful!

I hope I can get some cover sorted so that I can go on the training (five whole days out of the setting). You just know I'll be boring for England on the subject before too long! xD

Maz

Great news Maz :(

You can gain so many good ideas from visiting other settngs and I'm sure you will make the process a positive experience for the settings too. I'm just a little envious. :o

Peggy

boo hoo i hate commitees they wont let me go Maz xD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure: ;)

Its looking unlikely that I'll make it either - need cover. :ph34r: Do you think the parents would mind if I closed a week early for Easter? :o

no go for it M - i'll sack my committee too then we can both go :o

we had our ecers done by our preschool development worker and early years support teacher - we found it very beneficial and it helped us to relook at our setting and see where we could improve it with little or no cost.

its really like a new pair of eyes looking at your room and seeing where it can be improved- they also tell you why you didnt get to the next scale on the rating and how that can be improved.

• 2 weeks later...

Our pre-school has been ECERSd today, Toddlers being ITERd tomorrow - local early years folk did it.

VERY thorough, totally unthreatening.

Some brilliant results, with some areas marked up for work, but we knew about those - part of Development plan.

Sue :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

we had our Ecers feed back today from Early Years and overall did well with lots of 6's and 7's. However, we were

given a '1' in snack/meals. The reason given was due to the fact the fruit is cut and prepared in the kitchen and placed

on plates. One plate is placed on the table for four children to share. The problem hilighted was that they took pieces off the

plate to eat but did not have their own plate to put it on or that there were no utensils to pick fruit from the plate! Surely with bite sized pieces as 'finger food', plates and utensils seem a bit o.t.t.

They also suggested wet wipes after snack time which I am quite happy to do.

Could any one share their snack routine with me for new ideas??

dottyp

I've bought the book from Amazon so I can have a go with the staff and we're prepared!

Our children have their own laminated tablemats BTW. These have their symbol on and enable us to seat children sometimes in specific places, when we have a clash of personalities for example.

Hi Cait. Thanks for your sharing your practise. Do you have bowls of fruit for the children to take from and

do they use spoons etc to help themselves as this is why we got 'inadequate' for snack time :o

dottyp

Could any one share their snack routine with me for new ideas??

dottyp

Hi dottyp - our snack is as follows:

1 parents donate fruit/veg

2 fruit/veg prepared by children

3 all the fruit is put on various plates - put on a long bar with numbers and smily faces to represent how many children can take so for example if we have loads of apples we cut them in half and children can take 1 piece of apple and if only small amount of banana, the sign says 1 piece - carrots usally 2 sticks etc etc.

4. children come along when snack bar open collect their plate and take the fruit/veg they wish according to how many they are allowed - so all children have equal share.

5. Milk and water on table for children to pour their own drink.

Works well for us, but does need constant adult supervision though Dot :o

Hi Dot - thanks for sharing your routine. Do you provide spoons, forks or tongs for the children to select their fruit or do they

just use their nicely washed hands to help themselves??

I'm feeling that Ecers have been a bit picky on this one! I did suggest to early years that i buy doillies, a cake stand and a hostess trolly too (but was feeling a bit mift at that point ) :o

Hi Dottyp - well they could wear plastic gloves eh............. bit daft talking about tongs - how would a 2 year old get on using tongs :o I feel the way our snack is set up ie all fruit & veg on separate plates, they have to make a decision as to which fruit/veg they want to eat and they are told if they take one they have to put it on their plate and eat it - so after continual training they do just take the amount determined in our signs and put that piece on their plate = I think sometimes things just get a bit toooooo much - in reception year I know children are given a piece of fruit / veg to eat take it to the playground run around and eat it - I think it is always worth looking at what we do and improving, but I do think the tongs idea is really daft. Dot

Hi Dot - thanks for your post - I got a bit of a bee in my bonnet over this one :o I will ditch the idea of tongs as being

inapproprite. The idea of children walking round with plastic gloves on did make me giggle though. It would look like a

scene from casualty xD

dottyp

I've bought the book from Amazon so I can have a go with the staff and we're prepared!

I bought the book sometime ago Cait - took one look and closed it again. Am hoping after next week it will make more sense! :o

dottyp: here is our snack routine, if it helps.

We usually have three separate snacktables (we all sit down together rather than a milk bar arrangement). Two of the older/more mathematically aware children are responsible for laying the table with a plate and cup for each child, and a vase of flowers on each table. One child is responsible for serving the snack to the children, so by and large this is the only stipulation we make as to where children sit - one child per table. Each table has a milk jug and a water jug which the children pour themselves. When we're having fruit for snack, there is a small bowl of fruit and children help themselves to whichever fruit they prefer. The child serving snack goes round their table with a box of crackers, which the children help themselves to using tongs.

When we have toast, the child serving snack goes round the table with a toast rack containing enough half-slices of toast and then returns the rack to the kitchen hatch. When ready, a second rack of toast is placed on the table for the children to help themselves if they want another half-slice. An adult goes round with the butter and loads an Ikea plastic knife with spread so that the child can spread their butter. We then also offer marmite or honey which the children spread themselves.

Once the children have finished, they tip any unwanted milk or water into a jug and put their plate and knife into a plastic box to be washed. Any uneaten food is placed into the bin provided.

Not sure how all this will fare on the ECERS rating, but it works for us!

Maz

Hi Dotty P - we had plastic gloves this week in our hospital role play along with oxygen masks - you may well of read my post on interesting inspection, again due to like you someone with a clipboard giving an interpretation to "what should happen" - was really funny seeing the kids with the plastic gloves on we only experienced a few children giving birth though - snack anyway can be so wonderful, one of our parents came and brought in her chicken last week - really great she even brought in some eggs for our snack.....Dot

HappyMaz - You have some great ideas with toast and spreads - was only talking today as to what we can do over and

above the same old fruit being brought in each day. Would love to introduce this to our setting. Thank you for sharing your

ideas xD

Dot - amazing what a pair of gloves and an imagination can lead too :o thanks for your ideas too :(

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure how all this will fare on the ECERS rating, but it works for us!

Now I have a much better idea about how it will fare on the ECERS audit - pretty good actually, providing hygiene practices are followed! :o

Am now a bit of an ECERS anorak and am dying to get stuck in! I'm going to do a proper audit on my own group with a colleague and see how we fare (without making any of the changes that my training has highlighted are needed because that wouldn't be fair!).

Then I can work out my action plan and set about improving our practice. Great for feeding into the SEF too!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)