Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Accident / Incident Policy

mrsbat

I don't know if you all know but I was pulled up on this and actually got it as an action. the inspector said you HAVE to have in your policies that after any serious incident or accident you will not only notify ofsted but you MUST also notify the child protection agency.

Did anyone else know this, maybe it was just me who didn't though :o

Not heard of having to notify the CPA, just ofsted and riddor - if need be

We got it as an action to add child protection agency into the policy.....

She said it was because the accident or incident could be a case of neglect - something along those lines, i'm afraif my mind went a bit blank when she was talking lol

New one on me too Mrsbat. I thought it was only Ofsted and Riddor.

Mind you, you say serious INCIDENT & accident, depending on what incident then maybe CPA would need to be contacted. :o

I think it' confusing to have the two terms together, I would have seperate policies, one for Accidents and any 'incidents' covered in my CP policy.

What did she/he actually mean by 'incidents'?

Peggy

We got it as an action to add child protection agency into the policy.....

She said it was because the accident or incident could be a case of neglect - something along those lines, i'm afraif my mind went a bit blank when she was talking lol

Is this 'neglect' on the part of the setting, or if parents report an accident at home, or maybe both?

Peggy

Well this is interesting!

Here's what the new Pre-school Learning Alliance policy says:-

"Child protection matters or behavioural incidents between children are NOT regarded as incidents and there are separate procedures for this."

:o

Maz

New one on me too Mrsbat. I thought it was only Ofsted and Riddor.

Mind you, you say serious INCIDENT & accident, depending on what incident then maybe CPA would need to be contacted. :o

I think it' confusing to have the two terms together, I would have seperate policies, one for Accidents and any 'incidents' covered in my CP policy.

What did she/he actually mean by 'incidents'?

Peggy

she said it needed to be in both because if the child has a serious incident (she said where an item of furniture fell on them!) then it would possibly be a case of neglect on behalf of the pre-school because obviously furniture shouldn't be able to fall on a child - something like that she said anyway.

to be honest i'm not sure why it needs to be in the accident policy xD

mind you i think furniture falling on you is more of an accident than an incident :(

When I had my ofsted reg meeting the ofsted inspector checked that my safeguarding children policy had the details of how I would contact my LSCB

That's always been the case for CP policy, but as Peggy says, there is a difference between an incident and accident.

if a child had a serious accident at a setting say they fell over and broke their arm/leg. Nobodys fault just one of those things- I would call that fairly serious- you would have to inform your CPA? I cant find this written anywhere, just looked through the new PSLA policies and they dont actually say this-

A serious incident is different and I'm sure (dont have them to hand) we have always had tis within our policies.

Hi

In the specific legal requirements under illness and injury it states

"providers must notify the local child protection services of any serious accident or injury to. or the death of, any child whilst in their care."

Is this what they are referring to.

I think a clear understanding of the definitions of 'accident' and 'incident' is needed.

To me an accident is a one off event that occurs unintentionally, it may prove however on review that some health and safety policies were not adhered to, this to me is 'negligent' but not 'neglect. To me the term 'neglect' with regard to CP is a continuous state of affairs, not necessarily intentional as it could occur through sheer ignorance (ie: lack of parenting skills), but could also be intentional.

Maybe a discussion with staff to find out what their definitions are, and to clearly define the difference would be useful, then an agreed change or addition to policies can be written if required. The most important thing is that the people who need to report either accident or incident know clearly how to do it. It's all very well having these statements written into policies, as required by the Inspector, but the policies need to be understood and carried out in practice, therefore clarification within the settings workforce will ensure that the childrens welfare is met.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)