Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Portakabin/lilliput

Hi, those of you who have read my previous threads will know that we have a potential 'home' crisis. We may have to leave the building we are in if it is sold this year, so we're starting to look at options.

One of these is to have a portakabin as they make bespoke preschool units called Lilliput nurseries which look very good - they've sent me some literature, but no prices (surprise) so what I'd like to know is - does anyone have one, what are they like in use, and what sort of price are they going to be?

Obviously with this option we'll need to get some land too, but I might be able to talk a friendly farmer into being generous and supporting his community!

I wish someone would wave a magic wand and take all these worries away! If any of you win the lottery, will you help? :o

I wish someone would wave a magic wand and take all these worries away! If any of you win the lottery, will you help? xD

Sorry - if I win the lottery I shall give hali my nursery with enough money in the bank for the next five years! :o

Can't help with your query I'm afraid Cait - but have you spoken to your Local Authority with regard to sustainability/start up funding for a new venture. There is money around for people who know who to talk to, and how to make a winning bid!

Good luck

Maz

don't forget to try your local lea, sometimes they have mobiles/portakabins to get rid of, often free of charge, epsecially when a school has been refurbished, or is being closed down.

Also Lilliput and portakabin often have refurbished units for sale, so ask about those! good luck

Hmm, that's a thought, thanks Narnia. I was wondering if I quivered my bottom lip a bit .............

Haven't got any sensible ideas to help you - but I find a bit of lip quivering always helps - I can do 'helpless female' like no other when the need arises!

Good luck

Sunnyday

don't forget to try your local lea, sometimes they have mobiles/portakabins to get rid of, often free of charge, epsecially when a school has been refurbished, or is being closed down.

Didn't Peggy once say she had the offer of a portakabin in these very circumstances? Or was I dreaming? I'm not sure whether she investigated prices and stuff though...

Maz

What about your local children centre cait.

We have just set up a pre-school with our outreach to meet the demands of the community.

as you are already there would the children centre be willing to help fund a building or rent somewhere?

Like our set up.

Now has a waiting list they've only been going 7 months .

Well we had a very bizarre meeting of providers last year some time where we were told that we are all forming part of the children's centre under the umbrella of Barnardos - but no-one asked us if we wanted to do this, and it was all a bit surreal, and everyone left the meeting thinking 'WHAT???'

I'm sure they can't just take over the PVI sector without at least asking us!

Nothing has been said about it since.

Anyway, the 'team' know the situation, and that's all I can do at the moment.

I'm just wondering how much I should tell the parents - or if this will mean an unneccesary reduction in the number of bookings for September if nothing changes in March..........

Hi Cait,

To cut a long story short, we looked at the lilliput range last year and for a brand new one all set I am afraid it was tens of thouands! As lovely and as perfect as they were, the price was a shock for us to further look at the brochure so it got promptly recycled (and then discounted), so I'm afraid I can't check exactly how much. :o

So sorry it's not good news - I hope you manage to find a solution to your situation.

Edited by Guest

I'm just wondering how much I should tell the parents - or if this will mean an unneccesary reduction in the number of bookings for September if nothing changes in March..........

Tricky this - you want your parents to hear whatever news there is to tell from you and not from reading the papers but nor do you want to scare the wits out of them unnecessarily. There's probably not a lot you can do until you hear for sure what the Church is planning to do - but hopefully your early years team will be able to identify your various options so you can begin to plan some kind of strategy.

Maz

We decided today that to tell the parents now could cause unnecessary upset, with parents looking for new places elsewhere. If it's a bad outcome in March I am going to 'insist' on us staying put until July, which I think will give parents plenty of time to look at other options if they need to. My Management group all know, so we'll just sit on our hands a bit I think now.

We decided today that to tell the parents now could cause unnecessary upset, with parents looking for new places elsewhere.

Probably a wise decision, Cait - assuming that a decision is made in March (and these things can drag on for ages can't they?) then parents will have a term to find other places. What will you do about families who enquire about your group in the meantime though?

Maz

Well we will take their details just as usual. I'm not being an ostrich, but we're in a Chapel after all, and we must believe that we are going to be ok. (but at the same time, be realistic enough to think about alternatives!)

We has a price for a bog standard one to cater for 18 children it was 130,000 I will look and c if I still have the mail and plans etc and if so I will mail them to you I have a feeling I too recycled them after the shock of the price! Also apparently the rep said they need planning permission?

You can buy them second hand but they are very rare, I did see one on e bay for 50,000!