Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music Memories

Rea

Ooh I tell you what - I heard Puff the magic Dragon on the radio a couple of weeks ago - a remake - and they got the words wrong! I was really shouting at the radio! Mike was laughing at me! They shouldn't muck with our memories! :o

My mum was clearing out a cupboard last week and came across my school hymn book. They had to be covered in clear plastic, and there preserved for all this time is a picture of David Cassidy on the front cover :o

And Rod Stewart, how I was sure he'd marry me not Britt!

But my best musical memories would have to be listening to Sing Something Simple with my Dad.

By the time he'd come in from work and had his tea, I'd be in bed (I was about 5). He'd come upstairs to have a wash & shave and put the wireless on (didn't have radios in those days!) and he'd sing along with the Cliff Adams Singers. I'd join in too and we'd chat away, and then mum would shout up to see if I was asleep!!

Years later I came across a tape of them in the market and bought it, just because it reminded me of my Dad xD

Ohh just remember what I heard on radio yesterday in car, made me glow and feel so warm inside and feel so full of love xD

Daniel Bedingfield - If your not the one!!

It was out not long after James was born and he was on my shoulder and that song was on the radio and I just stared at him and thought how perfect and georgous he was!!

I still stare at him and think all of the above, although the words cheeky, funny, caring, bright and the person I care for more than anyone else in the world can now be added to it!!!

See, you hear one slushy song and you turn into an emotional, quivering lump of jelly!! :o

But my best musical memories would have to be listening to Sing Something Simple

We used to listen to that tooo... and Val Doonican, with his jumpers and rocking chair is an early TV memory of music.. along with Andy Williams show..

But earliest I songs I remember singing at about 3 or 4 are

Lambeth walk, Roll out the Barrel, My old man said follow the Van, Daisy Daisy, and lots more

and a rather rude version of My Old Mans a Dustman...where the neighbour complained to my Grandmother and was she aware of what I was singing sat on the doorstep... her reply was yes.. she had taught me all the songs!! :o

I an still join in now when I hear them!

Inge

Ah, Val Doonican,

and how about that lovely Jim Reeves my parents used to sing along to?

I love you because you understand dear

Every single thing I try to do

You’re always there to lend a helping hand dear

I love you most of all because you’re you

I love you because my heart is lighter

Every time I’m walking by your side

I love you because the future’s brighter

The door to happiness you opened wide

No matter what the world may say about me

I know your love will always see me through

I love you for a hundred thousand reasons

But most of all I love you ‘cause you’re you.

But most of all I love you ‘cause you’re you.

Stiff upper lip alert - my dad used to sing this to my mum. :o She'd roll her eyes! xD

Major nostalgia moment too with the holiday advert where Jim Reeves is singing "welcome to my world". Mum was a big Jim Reeves fan!

And as for Val Doonican - Paddy McGinty's Goat and The Marvellous Toy were a big part of my childhood. Very familiar years later when I discovered Tom Paxton!

Maz

Oh I know! Great to know that I'm not the only one with these memories!

Does anyone remember the group called 'The Fivepenny Piece'? They had some (what I thought at the time were) 'rude' songs, but were probably quite tame!

Does anyone remember the group called 'The Fivepenny Piece'? They had some (what I thought at the time were) 'rude' songs, but were probably quite tame!

They have a website Cait - have a look here and take a stroll down memory lane! :o

I'm a Jim Reeves fan, mainly due to my nan's influence but also because my parents are huge C&W fans and when we were kids,everytime we got in the car we were blasted with A-tracks by Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash, Charlie Pride, Marty Robbins, John Williams etc....All four of us all have some C&W cd's in our collections, we use to call it travel torture and the more we argued, the louder it got; which was better then my dad frightening the beejesus out of us by swerving into buses when we argued in the car.

Karrie

I'm a Jim Reeves fan, mainly due to my nan's influence but also because my parents are huge C&W fans

What about Slim Whitman? When I'm calling you-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo, will you answer true-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo? I think I'm far too young to remember the Nelson Eddy and Jeannete McDonald version! :o

Maz

I still love all those black and white movies, again my nan's influence as she loved watching them all!

There's nothing quite like a cold winter's day spent in front of the tv watching Brief Encounter or Now, Voyager! I loved the musicals when I was little because it would guarantee mum and me sitting on the sofa together uninterrupted for an hour and a half! So Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse were my idea of the perfect couple! My faves were Singin' in the Rain, High Society, Brigadoon, My Fair Lady... ooh its a shame I have the SEF to look at or you can guess what I'd be doing this weekend.

Maybe I should just visit iTunes and download some golden oldies to speed me on my way... :o

Maz

And "I saw a mouse! Where? There on the stair. Where on the stair? Right there. A little mouse with clogs on.....well I despair.....going ...................................."

Come on then, how many of you completed the last line?? :o

I have to tell you, that song will be in your head all night now. xD

Chris Evans played this in his show on Radio 2 tonight.

Do you think he's been reading this thread?

No, it was because he interviewed a clog maker, so it would have been rude not to have played it really. I'd forgotten what a good song it is - some lovely lines in it!

My favourites:

First they had triplets and then they had quins

A windmill with quins in, and triplets and twins in

and later

The daughters got married and so did the sons

The windmill had christ'nin's when no one was list'nin'

Not so sure about the runaway train Cait: I think we're about ready for the Max Bygraves retrospective - I shall now serenade MrsWeasley with a rousing chorus of Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea (eee, eee, eee, eee). :o

Maz

Thank you Maz.... I knew I should not look in here this morning... now I cannot stop singing ...................... all together now..

There’s a tiny house (There's a tiny house)

By a tiny stream (By a tiny stream)

Where a lovely lass (Where a lovely lass)

Had a lovely dream (Had a lovely dream)

And her dream came true (And her dream came true)

Quite unexpectedly

In ....................................

She was out one day (She was out one day)

Where the tulips grow (Where the tulips grow)

When a handsome lad (When a handsome lad)

Stopped to say hello (Stopped to say hello)

And before she knew (And before she knew)

He kissed her tenderly

In ..............................................

will sent me batty for the rest of the day now! (and it was released in 1954 before I was born!)

Inge

Edited by Inge