Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding Policy Or Lack Of One

Hi Peeps

Sorry If I am woffling but need to tell somebody

2 Weeks ago I started a managers job in a creche that is run by a well known nursery company. Before this job Iworked in a creche that was run in house. As I was the responsible person it was down to me to write and update all the polices and procedures especialyy safeguarding as I know the importance of having one etc and the procedure of who, when and how to involve the approprite agencies.

Since I have changed jobs I am aware that this policy has not been updated it is still called " Child Protection". It does not include any of the significant chnag that have come in force. I asked if it was being possibly updated and was told it was but got the feeling I should not have said anything. The policy does not tell me who my local safeguarding boards and the contact number for first responce etc. Naturally I am worried about this especailly as OFSTED seems to be around inspection other creches in the company. I dont want to come accross as a know it all because of my previous exsperiance. The staff have not acceed any safeguarding training and are not aware of what to do, how to recordam incident, what sighns to look for etc

Any ideas how to deal with this as it makes my hair stand up on end because itis not right.

Thanks

Bluebelle 2008

Hi,

It seems like i am in the same boat as you, although i am not a manager so raising this issue as an assistant in a new setting meant that i was firmly put in my place.

Ofsted are hot on safeguarding children and rightly so. All member of staff need to know the safeguarding policy off by heart and it is now recommended that all attend safeguarding training.

I am sure that you will find a safeguarding children policy in resources or on the internet and pass that on to the member of staff that is updating policies.

It seems like you need to have a staff meeting to raise this issue, pass on a copy of the safeguarding policy to all staff members and go through it as a team.

I persume that these members of staff hold the relevent childcare qualifications so why are they not aware of what to do.

It is important that you stand your ground on this matter but what would i know i am just an assistant banging my head against a brick wall.

Apologies for any spelling mistake, fighting to keep my eyes open

I can really sympathise with you and your reticence at 'sticking your head above the parapet', particularly if you have had a past nasty experience. However, a management position holds a level of responsibility. Part of this is ensuring that things are running according to the regulations laid down. Clearly this isn't happening in this instance and you know about it.

These safeguards are in place to protect children - what do you think would happen if you had an incident which was missed or not reported properly? The consequences could be potentially devastating! Policies are not about passing an inspection but are supposed to be there to improve pratice! However hard it may be you need to push this until action is taken and I think deep down you know that too. :o

If it's any help, our SCB posted a sample Safeguarding Policy on their website & I used that to draft our own. I was surprised about how many other policies cam eunder this as a broad heading - I see the PLA policy book treats it similarly. Whoever does the policies could start with either of these if available - I understand that it can be daunting becaus eof the size of it, but it's very important it's in place.

PLA one, for instance, has

Children's rights and entitlements

Safeguarding children and child protection

Looked after children

Confidentiality and client access to records

Information sharing

Uncollected child

Missing child

Supervision on outings & visits

Safety & security on the premises

Making a complaint

Valuing diversity and promoting equality

Children with SEN

Achieving positive behaviour [includes bullying]

So safeguarding is a much wider concept than child protection in its narrower sense

HI

Thanks for the replys I do know the importance of the safeguarding policy and have written one in a previous setting. Because I work for a large chain I am not allowwed to write the polices and procedured Quote " ..........writes the polices and you will get them when they are up dated" was the responce from the area manager. I have taken the one in I have written and discussed with the staff, and i have found out all the local authority information. So i am still at aloss where to go next. I know I am right in saying that it should be updated and presented to the staff .

ANY IDEAS

bluebelle2008

I've tried to write a response to this a couple of times but feel the need to choose my words very carefully. I think you have been proactive in pointing out the need to have a safeguarding policy in your setting and clearly the response you have received is inadequate. Your setting is very lucky to have such a reflective and knowledgeable practitioner.

Are you responsible for managing these staff who have had no safeguarding training? If so perhaps you could order them the necessary publication recommended by the EYFS - 'what to do if you're worried a child is being abused' or whatever it is called. You can also do an amount of 'on the job' training about the signs and symptoms etc, but you already know that this training needs to be done by a professional.

However your setting has the responsibility to ensure that a policy is in place and that all staff are trained and able to put that policy into practice, and Ofsted will come down on management like the proverbial ton of bricks if they do not. However, knowing that they will be held culpable doesn't make you feel any easier about what you know, and if it were me I would consider putting my concerns in writing, although clearly this might have an impact on my employment status. Does your setting have a whistle blowing policy? This is on my 'to do' list because it was suggested to me by an early years adviser for just this kind of incident: when a staff member brings a complaint or worry to their boss and nothing is done about it.

Ultimately if you are concerned that the lack of policy and staff training is adversely affecting the setting's ability to safeguard children then you are duty bound to do something about it. If I didn't get a response to my letter or any attempts to discuss it further then I would seriously consider ringing Ofsted and looking for another job. Not an easy decision to make but better to do something than ignore it and later find that your setting failed to safeguard a child at risk.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - let us know how things go.

Maz

I agree with you wholeheartedly Maz. As a first step I would suggest that you get the PSLA's booklet as it has some very useful information in it which will help you draft your new policy. Also, as Maz suggests, read through the 'What to do' booklet and have a staff meeting about it.

The NSPCC do some very good distance leaning in conjunction with Educare, and this is very useful for introducing the concept of keeping children safe and protecting them from abuse.

Hi

Thanks fro the replys again. I am looking for another job as I asked to speak to Care and education about the situation and my conerns. She was expectiong me to call and tried to fob me off with the policy being updated etc and she would arrange training fro staff in the next six months. I have told her I will do staff training in the setting but think the girls need to access cousres run by early years etc. To understand signs symptons and all the other extras as we all know is no longer just about safeguarding the child but staff as well. I was told I could not do any training as i am not a trainer just a manager and I was not to access early years course with out priour arrangment with her. I am so shocked because I have gone from a small in house creche where I arranged everything and worked hard to have the correct polices and procedures in place probably more then we needed but I like to be safer rather then sorry to a big compny that should be ontpo of all these issues and they dont seem to give a dam. I have spoken discreetly to my buddy today and her staff have not had any either. I am really angry today so sorry for woffling on. i have looked fro a whistle blowing policy and cant find one no shock .

If OFSTED come in I am so going to get a roasting but my hands are tried. God our work can be frustrating maybe should judt go back to being a Nursery Practitioner.

bluebelle2008

oh i do feel for you Bluebelle i have similar issues with our committee at mo , you bounce from one set of members that let you do anything to another that take everything away from you- nightmare!

good luck hun im also looking for a new job and am gutted as i love mine and have been there for 8 years! :o

Hi Hali

I am sorry you in a simular situation. It is very frustrating and a worry because this week 10 creches within the copmany have all had a vist fron OFSTED so the powers to be have gone into overdrive to sort stuff now. I dont understand how the previous manager did not say anything, Now i go to health and safety another bone of contention but hey I will save that fro another day.

oh i do feel for you Bluebelle i have similar issues with our committee at mo , you bounce from one set of members that let you do anything to another that take everything away from you- nightmare!

good luck hun im also looking for a new job and am gutted as i love mine and have been there for 8 years! :o

Hi Hali

So sorry that you are having problems with your committeee.who'd have them eh?

I'm sure that there cannot be, anywhere, another group of people with the professional status that we have who are prepared to be ruled by a bunch of amateurs! It's just not logical, and I really feel very strongly that it's time it was looked into. I have yet to see any benefit in the system

Hi Hali

I am sorry you in a simular situation. It is very frustrating and a worry because this week 10 creches within the copmany have all had a vist fron OFSTED so the powers to be have gone into overdrive to sort stuff now. I dont understand how the previous manager did not say anything, Now i go to health and safety another bone of contention but hey I will save that fro another day.

Thank goodness OFSTED are currently involved with Inspecting this company, they will have to act now. I agree with all that has been said and despair that this type of ignorance on the part of the company is still evident in this day and age. Well done you for sticking to your principles. If the required changes only occur 'on paper' and not 'in practice' then maybe as Maz suggests it is now time to distance yourself from this company. Hopefully following Ofsted Inspections practice will change and you can stay, and the children who are cared for by this company will still have you as 'their voice'.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)