Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rules Over The Extended Offer (15 Hours)

I have been searching but cannot quite find the answer to this one. Does anyone know if, when a funded place moves to a three hour session, will we still have the option to only offer 2.5 hours?

I believe not but I could do with some urgent clarification.

Thanks

Your LEA is the one to contact about this.. ours have sent us an idea of how it will be implemented but this is still to be confirmed / discussed .

Entitlement: 15 hours over a minimum of 3 days (unless taken over more than 38 weeks)

Length of offer: 38 weeks

Minimum hours in a day: 2 hour block

Maximum hours in a day: 10 hours in one day, 13 hours in total if the offer is split over 2 days only

Providers: Maximum of 2 providers (unless there are exceptional circumstances)

I am assuming that the minimum 2 hours can be added to by the hour or half hour... and not in set 2 hour blocks... Idea is to make it flexible. Only time will tell.........

We were also told last November..

The DCSF will be producing and consulting on a new Code of Practice for the free entitlement for introduction in 2010..

But dont know timescale

Inge

Inge has all the info there, except I think the new code of practice is may be more imminent than 2010. Some settings are unable to offer 15 hours because of all sorts of reasons, but thats where combining providers might help. We have a couple of settings who are teaming up with childminders in the area to find a workable pairing of provision.

Holly are you in the position that you cant offer the 15 hours?

The official date I believe is sept 2010. We are piloting 20% of settings from sept 09, but there is no obligation for the settings identified to take it up. Check this out with your LA, there will be someone there who can tell youthe situation.

Thanks everyone. The LA was my first port of call but as usual no one returned my call. We will be able to offer five mornings of three hours each but not the flexible offer as far as I can see. I was being pushed for an answer by someone connected to our building management due to terms on a grant they are trying to secure. I knew someone here would be able to clarify it for me :)

Guest MaryEMac

We will be doing the extra hours from September 09 because we are in an area that is classed as being in need (or something). We were thinking that we would have problems because of sharing a building but the out of school group closed at Christmas so we can be more flexible.

Mary

We will be doing the extra hours from September 09 because we are in an area that is classed as being in need (or something). We were thinking that we would have problems because of sharing a building but the out of school group closed at Christmas so we can be more flexible.

Mary

Hi all

So what happns to us? We currently run from WI hut 9 - 11.30 am and thn children have option of going to school for lunch until 12.45 when parents pick up. So would our 15 hours be covered by the lunch club or is it 15 hours still in the WI hut being educatd (so to speak!!). Its jut that not all children use th lunch club facility. Plus there will be implications for the use of the WI as it is quite often used by others in the afternoon!

Hi all

So what happns to us? We currently run from WI hut 9 - 11.30 am and thn children have option of going to school for lunch until 12.45 when parents pick up. So would our 15 hours be covered by the lunch club or is it 15 hours still in the WI hut being educatd (so to speak!!). Its jut that not all children use th lunch club facility. Plus there will be implications for the use of the WI as it is quite often used by others in the afternoon!

I can't actually find my notes of the training I attended, marley so I can't check. But I was of the opinion that lunch clubs will be included in the 15 hour entitlement - they'd have to be if parents are allowed to take their 15 hours over two days!

When I find my notes I'll check!

With regard to those groups like us who meet in shared premises, the times when the hall is used by others will affect your ability to offer the 15 hours flexibly - but no-one is saying you have to be able to offer 15 hours over two days, or even three. That's a commercial decision which your group needs to take in the light of the constraints placed upon you by your setting and what your parents want.

Maz