Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Poems On Snow/ Ice/cold Climates

Hi there,

I'm looking for some simple, rhyming poems on the theme of snow, ice and the cold to use to model simple poem writing. . I've had a good search on the net and haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Kitty:)

ha ha ha

This came straight to mind - when I was about 14, 4 of us in my class had to recite this as part of an English Speaking award. You'd never be able to use it with 'littlies' as it's a bit grizzly - mind you they may like that aspect :o

It was good to read it again after all this time - I was amazed at how LONG it was!

Thanks for your help. Wolfie - I love that poem! That would be a great example to use to start off :-)

Cait - blimey that is a long poem! Oh the good old English Speaking awards - brings back memories - do schools still do them now? A prep school I worked in during my GAP year did them but that was 15 years ago!

I did manage to find one which I am also going to use

Winter Time Poem – Mary Ryer

Icy fingers, icy toes,

Bright red cheeks and bright red nose.

Watch the snowflakes as they fall,

Try so hard to count them all.

Build a snowman way up high,

See if he can touch the sky.

Snow forts, snowballs, angels, too,

In the snow, so white and new.

Slip and slide and skate so fast.

Wintertime is here at last.

Hi there could you tell me how you are planning to use this poem; modelling simple poetry writing, as I am interested in doing this with my reception class.

Hi there could you tell me how you are planning to use this poem; modelling simple poetry writing, as I am interested in doing this with my reception class.

Sure - no problems - will post in more detail on Saturday if that's ok: Early night needed and an early morning ahead! :o

Sure - no problems - will post in more detail on Saturday if that's ok: Early night needed and an early morning ahead! :o

Would like to write simple Winter Time Poem with my reception class next week - not sure whether or not to tackle as a whole class or small group? xD

Would like to write simple Winter Time Poem with my reception class next week - not sure whether or not to tackle as a whole class or small group? :o

Hi there,

As Cait suggested, I would create a non-rhyming poem using adjectives about the temperature and the weather. Especially after the week some of use have had with the snow/ice, it would also be a good way to extend their vocabulary. I found when I have done this in the past with (lower ability) Y1, they have had lots of success with this and have been proud of their poems. I would do this as a group activity with you acting as a scribe where appropriate.

I planned to use the poem with a mixed (average ability) Y1/2 class as a model to start them writing their own version, but I had do a recap on rhyming words for some of the class, and then support them in creating a rhyming second sentence. Some of the more able year 2 were able to create their own rhyming couplets but with some support input and a different poem the next day.

There is a very good article in EYE magazine this month with Roger McGough. Read lots of poems to them, giving them experience of poems and rhymes! Good books to use are:

Poems for the very young: Michael Rosen

Puffin Fantastic First Poems

Spike Milligan Treasury

How to Teach Poetry Writing at Key Stage 1 by Michaela Morgan is a very good resource book - it's in the same series as the Pie Corbett books which are very good.

Hope it goes well :-)

I used the Winter Poem as a starter and then worked with small groups and the chn came up with lovely ideas for their poems, thanks for all your help ev'one!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)