Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Planning - Opinions Please?

Hi all, we had a staff meeting the other day and we've decided to plan around the children whenever there is not a festival or event to cover. Last week we did winter as all the children were talking about what they had done in the snow etc. Next week we are doing all about me theme as a couple of children are moving or have just moved, also a few children have been very interested in peoples eye colour.

Would you mind looking at my planning please and telling me if it looks ok, what needs adding/taking away.

I have continuous provision sheets for everythign so really the plan is showing what we get fomr the activities that are planned - does that make sense and is that enough do you think?

Many Thanks in advance :o

NEW_WEEKLY_PLAN.doc

That looks fine to me, apart from what the resoures/equipment provided are maybe.

What I can not understand is how 52 people downloaded it yet,none made a comment or thanked you for it

What I can not understand is how 52 people downloaded it yet,none made a comment or thanked you for it

I'm on my hubby's laptop so not allowed to download the file :o I'm sure people will return later and add their comments. I'll have a look later on my laptop and comment, hopefully.

xD

This looks really good and manageable. Thankyou. As already said, perhaps resources could be mentioned, but as you have such a variety of activities, perhaps a small sheet for each one, with any language to be modelled, or specific things to note for a specific child?

Your planning looks very clear, mrsbat. I would just have removed the children's names before uploading it here - although they are only first names and I might be being over cautious! xD

Do you have more detailed activity plans which show the resources/adult role etc in more detail? I find how other people plan endlessly interesting - the trouble is whenever someone uploads there plans here I begin to see more things I'd like to change in my own group!

Thanks for sharing, mrsbat. Don't be too worried that not many people have responded - it is Saturday after all. I'm sure there will soon be more comment than you could shake a stick at! :o

Maz

looks good to me, do you evaluate on another sheet? we evaluate on the document in red as it is a working document, haven't quite got our continuous provision sheets done yet, I gave examples to the team but no one has taken the initiative to make some suitable for us, looks like I will have to delegate!

I will share your document if that is ok to help inspire, we are eagerly awaiting some training in this area but I am waiting until I have a new staff team in place. Has everyone checked out nursery world, there are some lovely jobs going! :o

I think it looks very clear - my rule of thumb is that if all the Nursery team were off and the head, deputy head, senco and head of science (ok it's more of a revenge fantasy) had to be in nursery for the day they should be able to come in and understand and follow the planning.

PS I put resources on con prov

Posy

I think it looks very clear - my rule of thumb is that if all the Nursery team were off and the head, deputy head, senco and head of science (ok it's more of a revenge fantasy) had to be in nursery for the day they should be able to come in and understand and follow the planning.

PS I put resources on con prov

Posy

Hi Posy, I think this looks very clear and straightforward. If you don't mind I am going to share it with y team on Monday! Do you put specific objectives anywhere, ie writing 40-60 months?

Sounds like a pitch for a new sitcom - coming to Teachers' TV sometime soon. Who would play you though Posy? :o

Well, Angelina Jolie and I share the same love of children, figure, dress sense/style so I guess it would have to be her.

Elle Macpherson is another one who springs to mind, I think she could capture my essence

Posy

PS - if they're not available maybe Olive from On the Buses (that dates me) might be interested.

I like your planning Mrs Bat - I think it is really good that you are following children's interests in your focussed activities - rather than just festivals etc or staff interests which we currently do :o (I'm hoping to change things soon). You are also identifying which indivdual children you are focussing on which I think is good and linking to developmental matters as well. I also like the ways it all fits together to a theme, which I think could really help extend the children's interest.

I just had a few questions out of interest:-

- since this is the plan for your focussed activities do you have a separate weekly plan for your continuous provision?

- there are no days of the week on your plan - put perhaps you slot them into days of the week somewhere else?

- I like the fact that you have an evaluation section and wondered whether you are evaluating the activities generally or the learning of the focus children or both.

Thanks so much for sharing this Mrs Bat. It is so helpful to see what other people are doing.

I like your planning Mrs Bat - I think it is really good that you are following children's interests in your focussed activities - rather than just festivals etc or staff interests which we currently do xD (I'm hoping to change things soon). You are also identifying which indivdual children you are focussing on which I think is good and linking to developmental matters as well. I also like the ways it all fits together to a theme, which I think could really help extend the children's interest.

I just had a few questions out of interest:-

- since this is the plan for your focussed activities do you have a separate weekly plan for your continuous provision? Yes, I have seperate continuous provision sheets (adapted from ones on here :) )

- there are no days of the week on your plan - put perhaps you slot them into days of the week somewhere else? We do one focussed activity each day, so for example, on monday we are doing the hand and foot prints, tuesday the house etc. Should I actually write the days they take place on do you think?

- I like the fact that you have an evaluation section and wondered whether you are evaluating the activities generally or the learning of the focus children or both. Both of the above lol

Thanks so much for sharing this Mrs Bat. It is so helpful to see what other people are doing.

I've answered above :o

Thank you everyone for your comments, I've now edited it to include the additions to basic resources :)

Hi all, we had a staff meeting the other day and we've decided to plan around the children whenever there is not a festival or event to cover. Last week we did winter as all the children were talking about what they had done in the snow etc. Next week we are doing all about me theme as a couple of children are moving or have just moved, also a few children have been very interested in peoples eye colour.

Would you mind looking at my planning please and telling me if it looks ok, what needs adding/taking away.

I have continuous provision sheets for everythign so really the plan is showing what we get fomr the activities that are planned - does that make sense and is that enough do you think?

Many Thanks in advance :o

well done these are really good- we are doing seperate sheets for focused activities and linking them into development matters statements which is sometimes difficult as they dont always fit what you want the children to develop, this is a bit restricting but our AT says we have to! same with continous povision weekly sheet! we do a new sheet every week with enhancemwnts to provision stated. your focused activity sheets seem much more easy to use but every time i want to change ours i have to battle with \advisory teacher, would it be possible for you to share your continuous provision sheets , it would be much appreciated as i hace started to do some but they go on foerever, and i keep changing format even tho AT says we dont need t o just to use weekly enhancement sheet- do you link your planning with childrens obsevations as we put childrens initials and date of obs on planing so it can be tracked thanks

Here's the ones I downloaded from the Forum and adapted for our own Preschool use

thanks so much cait-these look really good i love how they link into the principles, w2ill definately use them

does any anyone have any i can adapt for the younger children? probably need to link in to appropriate development statements-we have a babie room 5wks to 2 years a tweenie room approx 18mth -2 years and a toddler room age 2-3. it will take for ever to start from scatch!!

ps i think this site is a godsend and everyone is inspirational- keep up the good work!

Could the leaders of these rooms not take a hand in it then? They can look at the aspects for their age groups and fill them in if you print off ones without the aspects, CLL, PD etc completed

Hi Thankyou so much for these. Being inspected alongside the school- (we're on the same premise) tommorrow. Even though we were only inspected in June and got Good. What joy but some notice at least. xD

Good luck with your inspection :o

Peggy

Mrs Bat, I think your plans are really good, I may have added under CLL or KUW similarities / differences, but hey, any activity has sooooo many learning potentials. xD

I like the experiences and activities section but think this could be expanded to include more than creative activities, ie experiencing: self identity, getting to know each other, what it feels like when moving house, maybe SEAL new beginnings.

Comparing and contrasting.

I think a link to observations which showed where this planning has come from would be very good, if you look at Helens Ofsted articles, this has been identified within inspection reports, to show how planning links to childrens interests ( or words along those lines).

I think your KUW section is quite broad and personally would stick with the 'moving' aspect only.

P.D. I would focus on facial features (names, what they do, eyes as main focus), and the senses, especially sight.

Just my thoughts. It will be interesting to see what follows on from these, whether the children will really get motivated on body parts, themselves and others, sense of sight etc, or whether the 'moving' aspect will continue with maps, homes, packing, settling-in etc, or whether it all goes in a completely different direction. Maybe a blog of how this planning system works and progresses for you would be a great diary record of this journey in your setting, as it seems very many members are interested in your plans. :(

I'm a bit confused by some comments about weekly continuous provision planning sheets, I see CP planning as continuous, and not determined on a weekly basis? :o

Peggy

Hi Thankyou so much for these. Being inspected alongside the school- (we're on the same premise) tommorrow. Even though we were only inspected in June and got Good. What joy but some notice at least. :o

If i've not already done so - welcome to the forum Minnie

I'm a bit confused by some comments about weekly continuous provision planning sheets, I see CP planning as continuous, and not determined on a weekly basis? :o

Peggy

yes, surely as the name implies, they are continuous. I suppose weekly additions for extensions to the provision would be recorded....

Mrs Bat, I think your plans are really good, I may have added under CLL or KUW similarities / differences, but hey, any activity has sooooo many learning potentials. xD

I like the experiences and activities section but think this could be expanded to include more than creative activities, ie experiencing: self identity, getting to know each other, what it feels like when moving house, maybe SEAL new beginnings.

Comparing and contrasting.

I think a link to observations which showed where this planning has come from would be very good, if you look at Helens Ofsted articles, this has been identified within inspection reports, to show how planning links to childrens interests ( or words along those lines).

I think your KUW section is quite broad and personally would stick with the 'moving' aspect only.

P.D. I would focus on facial features (names, what they do, eyes as main focus), and the senses, especially sight.

Just my thoughts. It will be interesting to see what follows on from these, whether the children will really get motivated on body parts, themselves and others, sense of sight etc, or whether the 'moving' aspect will continue with maps, homes, packing, settling-in etc, or whether it all goes in a completely different direction. Maybe a blog of how this planning system works and progresses for you would be a great diary record of this journey in your setting, as it seems very many members are interested in your plans. :(

Peggy

Thank you very much for the input/ideas :(

my continuous provision sheets aren't weekly, they are about the things we have out everyday....if that makes sense lol

Good luck with your inspection Minnie - I'm sure it will go well.

I haven't welcomed you to the Forum before although you've been a member for quite a while now! So welcome!

Maz

PS Typed all this up once and it seems to have disappeared. Either that or I'm beginning to repeat myself... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)