Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Petty....

hi there,

help! i work with another practitioner in a pre school room. she makes decisions without consulting me and makes snide comments about how i do things like 'not putting the lid on the barbie box'.

she is level 2, i am an eyp in a level 3 role. I want to make sure that we have a weekly meeting/conversation about planning and what our intentions are each week. how do i do this?

thanks!

Hmm, this doesn't sound very friendly! Has she got a problem?

I would start by saying that you have read on here that Ofsted is looking very favourably on settings where the team have meetings to plan every week, and that this seems to you to be a very sensible idea.

Are you her superior in the setting? If so, then you should be able to instigate something like this - are there just the two of you or do you have a line manager who could help out here?

oh dear thats not good. Does she understand your role ( i know many people still dont!) maybe if she did she wouldnt feel so thretened!

she needs to understand that you need to work as a team for the intests of the children - i think you need to talk to your manager to let her know what is going on :o

good luck xD

maybe also decide where her strengths lie and allow her to make her own decisions 'in this area' only, so she feels some kind of autonomy and self worth. Obviously these decisions will be either praised or discussed (if not appropriate) with you at weekly meetings.

Peggy

I've been thinking about this for a while - I'm assuming that since you are in a Level 3 role you are the senior and are therefore ultimately responsible for how the room runs?

With very little knowledge of the history between you it sounds that either your respective roles are not clearly defined enough and she is confused about what is expected of her, or that there is some underlying problem or resentment that has been left unsresolved.

Either situation could be tricky to handle - but perhaps you need a meeting to sort out who is responsible for what in the room - and as Peggy says it is important for her to have her own field of responsibility. Then perhaps you can move forward with a clean slate.

If the barbed comments continue then you have to challenge her about what she is saying and why: you can't continue to work together as a team without resolving whatever is causing the problem. You may find out that you didn't respond as warmly as you might to something she said months ago and have long forgotten, because often the biggest problems in the workforce are caused by the smallest things!

It sounds like some straight talking is called for. The challenge is in allowing the issues to be raised without any one person feeling they are being 'got at'. Hopefully she will be open and honest about how she is feeling and you'll get it sorted.

Good luck - let us know how things go!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)