Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Waterproof Clothing. ( I Know This Has Been Covered But Pleas Indulge

HI

we desperatly want to purchase waterproof clothing ASAP.

we have four room groups

baby 3 months -1 year (total of 6 children on a full day)

Toddlers 1 - 2 years (12 children on a full day)

Tweenies 2 - 3 years (12 children on a full day)

pre-school 3 - 5 years (23 children on a full day, tho busiest day is currently 20)

with the above figures in mind, could you answer the following:

how many sets of waterproofs would you get per room?, do you feel it is essential they all have one per child for each day, so 6 for baby room, 12 for toddler and 12 for tweenie room and 23 for pre-school. (dread to think where we cold store all of those! (or would it be feasable to share across rooms). my thinking on this is that not all the children will want to be out in the rain at the same time, but then if they did i would be stuffed if i did not get enough waterproofs per room.

for those of you that have waterproofs how flexible are they across the ages. for example would a toddler suit (1 - 2 years) fit a 2 - 3 years old as well. i know that they can be roomy, just not how roomy they are. do you have waterproofs for your children in baby room, especially since some of them are not mobile, or would you just 'roll up' the waterproofs for the 1-2 year age?

which one's are hardwearing, i am finding loads of sites that sell them, but obviulsy it is a big financial investment (we have £450) so i want to make the right choice, and hearing others experiences would help so much.

thanks in anticipation

Dawn

try theconsortium for all in one suits, less than £10 each. I was extremely lucky to get some waterproof jackets from woolies last week before they closed......................at 20 PENCE each!

How many did you buy narnia? You could earn yourself a nice little profit!

This may be a stupid question but do the parents not send their children in the proper clothing to go outside in. I would never consider supplying waterproof clothing especially as I have 52 children per session.

Can I ask why do you supply it? I couldn't afford it any way even if I wanted to

Steph

Like you Steph we have 52 part time children in our nursery and while in an ideal world it would be lovely to think that our parents will provide suitable clothing, many don't. We try to encourage them all the time to send in wellies and waterproofs but many just can't be bothered or cannot afford it.

We have 13 sets of good quality sellopates and jackets and I have just taken delivery of another 13 all in one suits from the company below 10.95) They are the thinner material but our budget just won't run to the better stuff at the moment.

http://www.trekwear.co.uk/childrens_packaw...oofs/c-271.html

I think we do have a responsibility to budget for a certain amount for waterproofs; we have a nursery budget each year and I discussed with the head the need for them and she agreed. For those parents who don't/won't or cannot provide the clothing then at least we can ensure that their children don't miss out.

Next year we are going to stipulate that wellingtons will be the only essential piece of equipment that their child needs to bring with them- we'll see how it goes!

We have recently ordered waterproof trousers for our children.....enough for each child to have one costing around £3.50 each, I think. We will do the same with jackets in time and we supply wellies also.

Unfortunately our parents don't send children to school in waterproofs either. Some parents complained when their children had to walk home in wet coats after a session playing outside. This way we can get outside whatever the weather and hopefully the children will remain dry.

This may be a stupid question but do the parents not send their children in the proper clothing to go outside in. I would never consider supplying waterproof clothing especially as I have 52 children per session.

Can I ask why do you supply it? I couldn't afford it any way even if I wanted to

Steph

I think it depends on how you look at it Steph. After all, the requirement to be outside is now part of the curriculum guidance and it is up to each setting to ensure that this happens. It is just another extension of your provision. Would you ask each parent to bring in a small bucket of sand and some playdough each day? :o

Having said that I can see that in a large setting the cost of supplying the waterproofs in the first place is pretty steep. You could start by scouring charity shops and putting out appeals to parents at local schools with older children for secondhand ones initially and slowly build up a supply this way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)