Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When Does It Cease To Be Adult Led?

On Friday I had a little boy who was crashing about a bit, in over and through other children's play. Now this little boy lives opposite me and I know that Dad is busy sawing and measuring to make some new fitted wardrobes, and "Jack" has been watching him.

So I went over and asked if he would help me put the workbench tools back tidy and then suggested that he could show "John" how his Daddy has been sawing up wood. I gave them a tape measure and showed them how to mark the wood with a pencil at the number shown on the tape measure, so they knew where to saw the wood (plastic saw).

Now my question is this, obviously this part of the play is directed, as it was all suggested by me, but they carried on playing with it for ages, tucking pencils behind their ears and screwing bits of plastic wood together etc. So at what point does it become his own play? I would suggest that it's probably tomorrow, if he does it again - or is it still adult directed, as he wouldn't have thought of it himself? :o

I'd say the activity was adult initiated and then child directed. You saw the need for him to engage in purposeful play, initiated the idea of where/what to play with, but he took the play in the direction that he wanted to based on his personal experiences. xD

If it was adult directed you would have initiated, directed the play and had a forplanned outcome. :o

Peggy

I'ld say it was just good practice - is it so important to catergorise what you/the child did? - Is not the why you did it and what came out of doing it more important? Why -because you observed a need for some input to direct focus a little more. Using prior knowledge of the child you skillfully suggested activity that might potentially meet the perceived need. You had available resourcing in continuous provision to do this. Then you supported play until they could sustain it by themselves, which they did. Maybe they will continue, maybe they won't. Co-consturuction of activity is equally important as adult directed/child initiated.

Cx

This is what I thought - I think I'm starting to question myself a bit too much these days - it's gone beyond being reflective!!!!

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow to see what he does. I said I would buy another tape measure for them, but was unable to find one at the weekend, so they'll be using the proper one again, which entails a little more supervision than I'd like, real ones have quite a powerful snap back!

Was reading the EYFS profile handbook today (being the exciting,interesting person that I am!!!!) :o .

If you look at pages 9 and 10 it gives the absolute definitions of child-initiated, adult led and adult directed activities. I then totted up the hours that we spend doing adult led activities (as i said Im a very exciting kind of person!!!!) and it was nearly half of our available time; that's without adult directed which I know will be high because thats where we work with our focus groups scaffolding and guiding.

Even though the definition says that child initiated activities can sometimes involve engaging in activities initially prompted by an adult I dont think we allocate (as a team !!!!! - in the broadest sense of the word!!!!) much time at all to child initiated activities -

xD .

food for thought!!

For all those of you hanging on the edge of your seat waiting to know what he did today - he spent well over an hour sawing up a cardboard box into tiny pieces. He didn't ask for the tape measure, or make any marks with the pencil - so this is where I'm going to steer him next!

If you look at pages 9 and 10 it gives the absolute definitions of child-initiated, adult led and adult directed activities.

Thanks for this tattybogle - I shall away and have a look!

Maz

Ok, its quite riveting once yiu start reading.

would be really interested to hear how much time others actually give to adult led or adult directed and child initiated. Do you have a 50/50 balance. I know we dont!

Thanks for this tattybogle - I shall away and have a look!

I have a PDF of the Profile handbook so thought it might be a good idea to insert the text in here so we can see what tattybogle is talking about:-

A self-initiated activity is an activity wholly decided on by the child and is the result of an intrinsic motivation to explore a project or express an idea. In doing this children may make use of a variety of resources and demonstrate a complex range of knowledge, skills and understanding. Although this may sometimes involve engaging in activities initially prompted by an adult, it is the child’s choice to extend, repeat or further explore the activity that defines the activity as self-initiated.

An adult-led activity is an activity defined, structured and delivered by an adult to a child or group of children. It focuses on the direct teaching of skills and knowledge with a specific objective in mind.

An adult-directed activity is an activity defined by an adult that focuses on a specific objective that the child may complete independently or with adult support. In both cases, it is the adult direction to complete an activity that defines it as adult driven.

Handy descriptions, which I shall be circulating to staff asap! Thanks tattybogle - I have a whole book-case of stuff I haven't had chance to read - do let me know what you're reading next... :o

Maz

Actually Maz Im reading Mark Making Matters. I don't know what's happening to me because Icant put this down either. Will post the juicy bits for you all! :oxD:(

"Although this may sometimes involve engaging in activities initially prompted by an adult, it is the child’s choice to extend, repeat or further explore the activity that defines the activity as self-initiated."

Ah so it's as we thought, it becomes child-initiated if he extends it - like he did - or goes back to it. Right

Thanks everyone

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)