Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Checks

Hi everyone and Happy New year.

Another question l need help with. Do you get your staff to get health clearance from their respective doctors, with regard to checking staff are suitable?. I can remember an ofsted inspector asking for this, not too sure. :o Also what do you do when you don't get refrences back, even after chasing

Toro

I may be wrong (and someone will tell me if I am) but I think it's just the Manager that needs to have a health check. If you don't get references back would it be possible for you to phone and ask for a telephone reference?

I was promoted to Assistant Manager from September and Ofsted requested me to complete a health declaration as I may be left in charge in the absence of the manager. I found the form quite simple but I have never had any health problems. The worst bit was having to pay the surgery £85 to sign the form!

At the same time we did query if all staff had to complete the form as the guidance on Ofsted's website wasn't that clear and they said other staff was at the discretion of the setting, so at £85 per form we decided not to.

i downloaded a form from a link on here - and the form itself is very offputting!

Where did you find that Cait? I want to look at it - I'm intrigued now! xD

The worst bit was having to pay the surgery £85 to sign the form!

To sign a bit of paper?! :o

I think it's ridiculous! My friend asked her doctor to sign her driving license application, and they tried to charger her £50!!

:(

To sign a bit of paper?! :o

I think it's ridiculous! My friend asked her doctor to sign her driving license application, and they tried to charger her £50!!

My deputy had to have a health check - and her doctor charged her £30 for the paperwork. Mine (same surgery, different GP) didn't charge me at all... xD

I had to have a health check when I took over and the dr apologised for having to charge me £15 :o how can others justify chargin more than £80, that is dusgusting xD

so can someone clarify for me please, do I need to get my deputy's to do a health check please?

I think that it is only compulsory for the manager/dep to have an Ofsted reg health check. However, it is perfectly feasible for you to request from staff that they fill in a basic health dec form, (Not signed by doc) in which they highlight any allergies, illnesses such as diabetes/epilepsy etc and confirm to the best of their knowledge they do not suffer with any "illnesses". Wpuld possibly be a help as well if you end up employing a "serial sicker"! Any extra information you can have the more you are covered and able to protect them, your children and your self.

Hi there,

This thread looks interesting. We ask everyone to complete a health declaration, which includes giving an approximate level of alcoholic intake. To my knowledge none of us has had to do a doctor's health check.

However, I recently returned from a holiday in Egypt and two colleagues, who had just completed the food hygiene course, informed me that, since Egypt is considered a hotspot for bugs, the course leader recommended mandatory stool tests for any staff returning from there! Fortunately, I was able to convince them that, as I had been lucky enough to avoid any upsets, I felt that I was not a threat to an outbreak at the setting! If I had been ill I would have done the test, just to be sure.

:oxD:(

I think that it is only compulsory for the manager/dep to have an Ofsted reg health check. However, it is perfectly feasible for you to request from staff that they fill in a basic health dec form, (Not signed by doc) in which they highlight any allergies, illnesses such as diabetes/epilepsy etc and confirm to the best of their knowledge they do not suffer with any "illnesses". Wpuld possibly be a help as well if you end up employing a "serial sicker"! Any extra information you can have the more you are covered and able to protect them, your children and your self.

Congratulations on your first post and welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure there was a thread on here a few months back about health check forms and I'm pretty sure I downloaded one, but of course it's fallen into the ether or I would upload it for you - might have been a link to Ofsted's form, can't remember, but happy to go and search if you want me to. Take a break from planning - any excuse!

We had a health check done on a new member of staff as Ofsted told me via their helpline it was necessary. Our doctor's fee was £93 from memory. Then we had our inspection and were told by the inspector that the check was entirely unnecessary as it was only for the manager. She told me to write to the Complaints department who refunded us the money forthwith!!

She told me to write to the Complaints department who refunded us the money forthwith!!

Glad I was sitting down when I read this LJW - a post with two positive things to say about Ofsted! OK so it was only sorting out a problem they caused, but even so! :o