Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted

we have ofsted in 2 weeks time and i am after some fantastic ideas/activities for teaching the children (reception) about 2D shapes. Also we are doing the sound e, i am looking at harry's elephant and elmer any ideas to go with these? Would appreciate your help as i am an NQT facing ofsted after on 6 weeks at work!!

There really into maths in a big way.We did not say more or less!!

Have a look at this site www.firstschool/years.com/numeracy for some ideas.Good Luck!!! :D

Hallo Lottie and welcome aboard.

Ofsted can be a worrying time but you should have lots of support within your school. Are you the only reception teacher?

For Maths ideas look at hamitontrust.org.uk. It has some excellent planning based on the Abacus Maths scheme which is very play based. I would be thinking about doing one each of the basic shapes each day, with lots of recognitiona nd practical handling activities.

For your sound work, are you only doing 1 sound a week? That is generally thought of as being too slow nowadays! Hamilton trust have some phonic activities called Codebreakers but I dont know how it works exactly as I have most recently used Jolly Phonics. You could also look for ideas in the PIPs resource and inthe new "Playing with sounds". Both can be accessed from the standards site if you need to.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

If you are doing e then why not add the c shapes as well and use shaving foam to practice round the curly caterpillar etc. You could link this to circle shapes.

If you are doing Elmer then you have coloured squares, so you could try decorating elephants with different shapes, which fits in with elephants decorating themselves on 'Elmers Day'. These could be added to your maths area with coloured paper, shapes to draw round, and glue as a free choice activity. Some of your children will know the shapes so decorating elephants will lead to discussion on why some shapes fit together and others don't.

Be careful not to be too directed as OFSTED are looking for learning through play and chid initiated learning in the Foundtion Stage. The focus is on learning rather than teaching.

You could leave coloured paper out and shapes for drawing round, with some ideas to start them off made by you on the line of, Can you make a picture from shapes? Junk modelling leads to shape discussions and this again can be free choice.

There is a rhyme in Ginn ABC

' Ellie elephant,

Elephants behind and elephants in front

e e e e

Elephants in line

Elephants are elegant elephants are fine. Trouble is can't remember the name of the tune but it is a bit like Skip to My loo.

I thought the tune was Ba ba black sheep, but it doesn't fit with the first line! Fits with the rest though - so maybe you could play with that.

You could use 2D shapes to make patterns in the sand (or three D shapes to leave 2D imprints).

Good luck - Harricroft.

After reading my OFSTED report, I noticed that they were changing my registration document caring for "from 2 years to under 5 year old children". I phoned them and said that a child doesn't legally have to start school until the term after their 5th birthday and in the past some have stayed with us until after they are 5. I have written to them asking for it to be changed.

Sue J (98)

Catma, I think I will have to wait for tomorrow to reach the 100th posting as I can't think of anything else to say (I know some might say they don't believe it - but tonight it is true!!) :o

Ellie elephant song - think this is it ...

e e e e Ellie elephant

Elephants behind and elephants in front

e e e e (the rest is as previously stated)

When making the e e e e sounds children put hands in front of their noses and swing it like a trunk - silly as it sounds the children love it :D

Harricroft

Hi lottie - what about introducing some cooking (if a cooker is available to you)

you could make jam tarts and use circular pastry cutters. Or make sandwiches (rectangles, sqaures, triangles)Or toast - cut out the 2d shapes in foil, place them onto a slice of bread each and toast under the grill. This way you're hitting all the ELG's in one go, in my experience Inspectors like that and they also seemed to like cooking too.

CLL - talking about the shapes.

talking about your cooking and the ingredients you will need

MD - 2 d shapes

- weighing

- counting how many things you have made

CD - where on the bread are you going to put the shape ( in the centre,

near an edge?

PD - using cooking implements, scissors to cut foil shapes

K& U of the W - cooking = science

PSE - children working in groups. Learning how to share the tasks

Good luck with your ofsted

post-18-1097847267.jpg

If you are going to do a cooking activity - as well as talking about the cooking and the ingredients you'll need you could shared write a shopping list. If you take photos at each stage of the cooking (difficult I know when an OFSTED inspector is watching children stick their fingers into every possible orifice :o - even though you've just done the hygiene talk!!!!) they can be used afterwards for sequencing activities or used for children to make their own instructions.

Good luck from me too.

Just read through the previous posts and can't see a mention about the outdoors - you could do a shape hunt outside as part of an outdoor play activity. If you provide children with a clipboard and an A4 sheet with the 2D shapes drawn on they could tick everytime they spot one (windows, doors, shapes on the playground etc). One of the FS training videos has a child drawing a 2D repeating pattern on the wall outside - it may have been contrived but it's another idea maybe.

Hope these help.

Harricroft.

well spotted Harricroft!

outdoor provision is very important and if weather doesnt permit you could do that inside somewhere too, so not wasted preparation!.

We were criticised for not using our outdoors even though the weather was consistently cold and wet and the children didnt want to go outside anyway.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)