Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Contract Of Employment

Hi All,

Does anyone have a contract of employment they could share? I update ours (if they need to be) at the beginning every year for staff to re-sign when necessary. I've just started going through them again but wondered if there is anything i'm missing. There's always that feeling in the back of your mind!!!

I work in a Pre-school if that's of any help!?

Be great for any help/advice, more re-assurance ;-)

Laura xxx

Hi All,

Does anyone have a contract of employment they could share? I update ours (if they need to be) at the beginning every year for staff to re-sign when necessary. I've just started going through them again but wondered if there is anything i'm missing. There's always that feeling in the back of your mind!!!

I work in a Pre-school if that's of any help!?

Be great for any help/advice, more re-assurance ;-)

Laura xxx

This is the one we use, we're in a pre-school too and have just aupdated everyones :)

.............Pre-School

Contract of employment

Name............................................................................

Address.........................................................................

Position........................................................................

Wage £....................per hour

Days and hours to be worked..........................................................................

................................................................................

.................................................................................

Pre-School Policy

To enhance the development and education of children under statutory school age, both within the setting and by working in partnership with parents and carers.

Confidentiality must be adhered to at all times between staff and parents, under no circumstances should a member of staff be discourteous to a parents. If there is a problem, staff should report this to the room Supervisor.

............Pre-School operates a non-smoking policy. Staff meetings are to be attended when possible. The Pre-School policies must be read and observed at all times.

Duties

Please see job description

Holidays

You are entitled to 4 weeks paid and 9 weeks unpaid holiday per year. Holiday pay will be paid pro rata, one week at Christmas, one week at Easter and two weeks in the Summer. Staff may take unpaid holidays during term time, but this should be agreed with the supervisor in advance.

Statutory sick pay is payable to all staff paying National Insurance contributions.

Time Off

Time off for appointments is allowed, although staff should give as much notice as possible. Excessive casual absences will be deemed as a disciplinary action and will be dealt with as such. In case of illness, please contact the Supervisor as early as possible. Lateness is always unacceptable unless unavoidable.

Disciplinary Procedures

See attached copy

Health and Safety

Staff are expected to make themselves aware of the fire and emergency procedures. All accidents must be recorded and reported to the supervisor. Staff are not allowed to leave the setting with a child unless in exceptional circumstances, with the agreement of parents/carers and in the presence of another member of staff.

Complaints

If you have any problems, please discuss these with the supervisor. You may then be required to put them in writing.

When stating a grievance, you may be accompanied by a fellow employee of your choice. It is not healthy to hold a grudge or keep problems to yourself as this can affect your reactions to the children.

Notice

Four week's notice shall be given by either side unless disciplinary action is involved.

Pay

An annual pay review takes place in September.

In the unlikely event of the Pre-School suffering severe financial hardship, wages may be reduced for a period of time until the situation stabilises.

SIGNATURE OF EMPLOYEE........................................................................

SIGNATURE OF EMPLOYER (ON BEHALF OF ................PRE-SCHOOL)

................................................................................

.................................................................................

DATE............................................................................

PROOF OF ID SEEN............................................................................

The contract looks very good!! Can I just ask what this bit means please? I think I might be being thick. :o

"Your annual holiday pay is 24 working days pro rata in each year. As you work ¾ of the Year your entitlement will e ¾ of the entitlement o a person working a full year."

a person working 5 days a week 12 months of the year is entitled to 24 days a year holiday. anyone working part time is entitled to part of that so someone working 5 days for 9 months of the year will be entiltled to 18 days holiday so if you work mornings only it will then be 18 morinings a year paid holiday. we divide our wages over 12 months so we do have a wage even during the holidays but the holiday entitlement differs for the hours the staff work. I hope this is a bit clearer for all I know what I mean it is not easy to write it down. I checked all this with our accounant and the legal department of hr4uk.

regards killowengirl

I thought we were entitled to 4.8 weeks (24 days) holiday even if we worked part time!!?? Have I been working it out wrong??!! xD

My staff all work 5 days per week, 39 weeks of the year and I pay 24 days holiday on top. From April I will be putting it up to 28 days holiday pay. HELP!!!!!!!! :o

I thought we were entitled to 4.8 weeks (24 days) holiday even if we worked part time!!?? Have I been working it out wrong??!! xD

My staff all work 5 days per week, 39 weeks of the year and I pay 24 days holiday on top. From April I will be putting it up to 28 days holiday pay. HELP!!!!!!!! :o

Hi Shiny

We are paid 4.8 weeks per year. 2 weeks in summer, 1.8 at xmas, 1 week at Easter! Had heard it was going up form April....is that to 5 weeks?

this is a quote from direct.gov

The basics of holiday rights

There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are:

you are entitled to a minimum of 4.8 weeks times your usual working week (from 1 October 2007)

the entitlement will increase to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009

those working part-time are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so currently 4.8 times your usual working week)

you start building up holiday as soon as you start work

your employer can control when you take your holiday

you get paid your normal pay for your holiday

when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you’ve not taken

bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement

you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave

I have just rang acas to be doubly sure and they tell me that holiday entilement can be worked out by taking the number of hours you work and multiply it by 4.8. take that answer and divide it by 12(months of the year) then mulitply that by 9 which is the term time in months.

sorry I meant days not hours. you calculate how many days a week mulitplied by 4.8 then divide that by 12 then multiply by 9 and that gives you 18 however a person working mornings only will be entitled to 18 mornings

I hope this makes sensekillowengirl

Shiny,

Youcan pay the full holiday entitlement if you want- however staff are not entitled to it if they only work termtime (which makes sense really if you think about it- why should someone who only works 39 weeks a year, et the same amount of holiday as someone who works 52 weeks?) Anyway I digress. We (staff) have always been paid the full holiday entitlement since it became mandotary simply becuase nobody ever told us otherwise and I dodn't find out until a few months ago. Now that it has been paid to staff at our setting for so long I dont feel I can take it from them (and myself). My daughter is an HR manager and says that after paying it out for so many years we would be on very sticky ground now changing contracts. I have attached a sheet I got from somewhere, I forget where now (it could have been here) which explains it all and how to work it out.

HTHholiday_entitlement.docx

This is so helpful. My leader only pays us basic hours per week x 2 for our annual holiday pay!!

Can I just ask too, when you work term-time only, but it is spread over 52 weeks, how do get paid for any overtime that you may do?

Can I just ask too, when you work term-time only, but it is spread over 52 weeks, how do get paid for any overtime that you may do?

Where's Peggy? She'll know the answer to this one because she has a lovely spreadsheet which works it all out. The only snag was that I couldn't work out how to use it because I have spreadsheet blindness... xD

Sounds like you need a word with your leader, Esme! :o

Maz

I used to add any additional hours pay to the current months payslip should overtime be worked and vise versa deduct any absences per month too.

Sorry but my spreadsheet is now in the recesses of my attic on a disc somewhere with all my other preschool admin stuff.

Peggy

Would you like me to upload it on your behalf?

Thanks HappyMaz and Peggy. I'd be really grateful if you could upload it. We're all at loggerheads at the moment about how we're getting paid. :o

as said earlier entitlement is 24 days, a simple system for part timei use which is approved is eg if on a 15 hour contract they get 24 days at 3 hours per day taken i.e 5 days hols get paid normall 15hours pay. 25 hour contract equates to 5 hours per day hol pay, no pay for bank hols except 40hour staff (like me) who get paid bank hols plus 24 days (at 8 hours) at owners discretion.

ive checked with acas and it is 28 days from april 09