Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Life

I was planning to have the topic of new life after half term but I remember from 2 years ago that I was trying to explain about growth when it was still snowing. Any one else have the same problems?

By after half term there should be some snowdrops (we already have some almost through) some lambs and things like that. May be a bit early for frogspawn, but it has been known to have it that soon. I always bring some twigs in and we talk about how they are all dead looking, then watch them come alive in a vase of water on the windowsill. We do carrot tops and cress seeds and look at things happening in the hedgerows.

Any help?

Not sure what kind of a setting you are in LAB? But we had a leaflet in the post a while ago advertising chickens eggs, which you buy from them along with the incubator etc. And once they've hatched if you can't give them a home, they will rehome them for you!

I'd really love to do this, but a we're in shared premises I don't think we'd be able to!

Have just done a google search but couldn't find the actual company who it was - But it might be worth looking into?

Mrs Weasley

Back in the day when I worked in a setting I got 6 plants (geraniums but I don't suppose it matters what you use) and we named them......possibly not a good idea......and then we treated them differently, kept one in the dark, over watered one, didn't water another, feed one with plant food etc

Great experiment, was a bit tricky when a parent came in and said they were sorry to hear Frank had died......you got it, geranium number 2!

Good way to talk about all sort of things, life and death, care, how actions have reactions; problem solving ie when the dried up one started to wilt we mounted an immediate save the plant plan, the children said we had to water it and give it baby bio like medicine.

It was great fun and we recorded the information so that incorporated maths stuff etc.

We missed Frank but he gave his life in the name of science :o

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)