Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thank You Thank You Thank You

THANK YOU to my Hubby, Dave for getting past his forum phobia and letting Steve know how I've been doing.

THANK YOU Steve for keeping everyone informed about my illness.

THANK YOU to all you wonderful people for your get well messages, which have bought a happy tear to my eye. :(

To update you all, I'm still in hospital, Hubby bought me a new laptop for xmas and tonight he got me a doogle (I think that's what its' called) so that I could have mobile internet access.

I became ill on Sun 28th at 5:30am, abdominal pains, long story short we got an ambulance at 9:30am, lady was quite rude saying I most probably just had a tummy bug. :wacko: Dave couldn't take me to hospital because of the children.

Anyway, taken to Hospital 30 mins from home (not my local one). The pain was excrutiating. Evetually scans were done and Pancreanitis diagnosed, we don't yet know the cause.

Most common causes are gall stones or alcohol abuse. Now I know I like a drink but I am not in that category, no gall stones found so the trigger for what then transpired into a severe acute attack is still unknown. Food and drink was stopped, so in effect the swollen Pancreas would then 'eat' itself, reducing the inflamation. The doctors were very straightforward telling me that no operation was available and it was just a matter of waiting to see if the inflammation would reduce on its own, all they could do was monitor me to check that other neaby organs (Liver, gall bladder, kidneys) were not affected by the acute infection. They actually said I could be dead in days, a very, very scary diagnosis.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but having this diagnosis is life changing in terms of how I responded. On reflection I did really fight for survival. By weds (I think- days blurr together when on morphine) the consultant was considering sending me to intensive care, there was no room, nor the next day. Then I gradually responded to the antibiotics, the lack of food water helped the pancreas to 'rest' and by Friday/Saturday was able to drink.

I've found it hard doing 'nothing' now I'm feeling a bit better. The doctors are waiting for my temperature to go down, it's still averaging 38/39, which shows infection is still 'active'. Also it was explained to me today that in some cases, not all, on the 10th-14th day after initial inflamation, secondary infections can hit, they would rather I was here than at home if that was to happen, So I'm still in untill Friday at best.

I am sure now that I have the forum access, although I will take it a step at a time, 30 minute sessions, then I will recover even quicker.

I still need to find out how to maintain my health once home, this is difficult not knowing what the trigger was, on the night of the attack I had eaten cold turkey, with mayoinaisse, and over the evening 4 glasses of chilled wine. The consultant says he would NEVER drink chilled wine (not sure why), that mayonaisse is a common irritant to the gall bladder and the combination of these could possibly have been the cause. :oxD

I do know that if I drink as much as a thimble full of alcohol it could kill me, so I will be everybodies friend next year, invited to all the best parties as the teetotal driver. :(

If anyone else has had experience of this condition or knows someone that has any tips for ensuring a non re-occurance would be appreciatted, PM me if you prefer.

Well I'm off to bed now, once they've re-done my I.V. drip, my new nickname at present is Pin cushion Peggy. :(

Night night everyone, thanks for being there for me, it really was and is appreciatted.

Peggy

Night Night Peggy and sweet dreams.

So glad yo'ure nearly better.

Sorry to be first when Im still really new here but just happened to catch your message! :o

What a terrible thing to happen - sounds like you have coped with it all really well.

Get well soon

Hugs

Starburst

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How wonderful to hear you are on the mend at last, it's been an anxious few weeks. I had a boss many moons ago who had pancreatitis, (not the same?) but she'd pickled hers. She had it removed and then she always had medication after that, and, as you say, no alcohol.

Keep up the good work. We are all thinking about you xxxxx

AAAAwwwww oooohhh don't know what to say except I am praying and sending all my love to such a wonderful lady who has helped sooooo many times when I have been low.

Thank you for being so honest and letting us in on your nightmare experience - it's good to share, please be strong and fight, fight fight Peggy cause we love you!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :oxD:( :( :( :wacko:

How lovely to hear from you - but what a scary time for you and your family.

Make sure you do as you're told, get plenty of rest and hopefully the journey back to health won't take too long. Not being able to drink is I'm sure a price worth paying for still being here to be everyone's designated driver! You can drive the charabanc for the FSF regional get-togethers... :o

Take care

Love Mx

Guest tinkerbell

Get better soon Peggy...what a frightening time you have had.Heres hoping all will be sorted for you and you have a healthy New Year.

Tinkerbellxxx

Hi Peggy,

What a nightmare - and how scary! You write so clearly and bravely about what must have been a frightening time for you and yours. Thanks for telling us all about it so honestly and so soon after the event. Take care of yourself and heed all the good advice. Sleep well!

Lesley

Peggy

Haven't been on the forum for a while - so missed this.

Really sorry to hear you've had such a rough time. Wishing you a very speedy and full recovery.

Here's hoping that regular doses of the Forum will jump start your recovery - perhaps it should be available on the NHS!

Take care

So glad to hear your health is improving again Peggy.

I am always the designated driver as I very rarely indulge. As I have always been designated driver since passing my driving test 18 years ago, I feel I should pass on some advice associated with some of the experiences I have had I that.

Some notes to remember when completing this task:-

1. Agree with everything your passengers say, even if you can't see Harry Potter giving Santa's sleigh a tow home!

2. Plan your route, remember these people have been drinking and can no longer remember their left from their right!

3. Ensure that you have a plastic carrier bag available, just in case some of your passengers feel like they need to relieve themselves of their

stomach contents. (Ensure some of these bags are from M&S, my sister refuses to use anything else when emptying her stomach!!)

4. Ensure your child locks are in operation, some people think they are home when they are infact sitting at traffic lights!!

5. Never stop for chips on the way home, unless you really want to loose some passengers!

6. Make sure the radio is switched on VERY loud, it keeps those in the back awake!!

Take it easy, its was a lovely surprise seeing a post from you!!

sorry i have haven't been on the forum to hear about your worrying health scare, :o how quickly life can throw everything upsidedown, i hope you have a speedy recovery and are given some answers to why, its scary not knowing what triggered that problem in the first place, my thoughts are with you and your family your words of wisdom, positive encouragment and vast knowledge and experience have really helped me during the time i have been a member on here thank you and keep up the recovery xxxxxxxx xD

Oh Peggy........I'm your Pancreatitis buddy...........I had it three years ago, and yes, nearly died, they told me i had gone down so far they thought twice they were losing me, and i was down so far I came back up with grass stains!!LOL I was in intensive care for 15 days, morphined up to the eyeballs ( so much so that I was convinced that:Michael Jackson was moonwalking down the ward; that I had a starwars stormtrooper standing guard over me (he turned out to be a supply of male urinal bottles at the bed next to me!);that the security guard from my then employer was in the bed opposite ( I can remember thinking very clearly........'poor solly, but at least people can visist both of us at the same time!).......he is a 6ft 6'' Rastafarian...who actually turned out to be a tiny and very elderly lady of about 90!!.I then had an extremely long conversation with my father...............interesting (and very scarey for family and the medics, because dad had died 6 months previously and they all thought i was sussing out what the accomodation was like where he was!!)

Like you, I wasn't allowed to eat or drink...................i had nasogastric feeding for weeks, and was only given the occasional bit of chipped ice to sip.I have lost several days of memory to the horrid illness and i am not keen to repeat it, though i have been warned that when i start my chemotherapy, they will keep a close eye on me, as it is a possible trigger for it again.

Like you mine was not alcohol related, in fact, i did have gallstones, but they didn't cause my pancreatitis..................a doctor, who was performing a 'routine medical test'with a camera down my throat, to look for the gallstones, managed to tear my pancreas for me,(very rare apparantly, so don't panic if you're offered an ERCP!) and, as you say, the pain was beyond excruciating, easily the worst in my life.To cap it all I contracted Clostridium difficile whilst in intensive care, because they gave me antibiotics, which they should have avoided.So, pooing for the nation for weeks!

Still, on th ebright side....................i lost over 3 stone in weight in the 6 weeks i was in hospital!!Recuperation took a long, long time, so don't try to rush things.

I DO hope you are home soon......................i am sure they'll all take good care of you in the hospital, but there's no place like home!If I can answer any of your questions, please feel free to pm me and i'll do my best to answer them..........ooooo, nasogastric feeding...yummmmm LOL

So glad to hear you are out of the woods Peggy. Just reading Narnia's account of this illness is scarey enough and brings home to me how serious it can be.

Be strong and give your body time to heal. Much love, hugs and prayers for your full restoration to good health. xxxx :o

So glad to read your post because you do 'sound' to be on the mend. It will be extremely slow progress so you will have to develop loads of patience for yourself!!!

Hope the children are coping ok as it must be really scary for them. best wishes xxx

Hi Peggy,

Great to see you on here, and apologies for not beating you to it and explaining to our members the nature of your illness!

I can't believe what you've gone through, and the mental trauma will no doubt take some time to subside, so as others have said, take plenty of time for R & R.

Take care and try not to get too bored in hospital! :o

I can only echo everyone's good wishes and advice to take it easy - although I'm the world's worst patient!

Just pleased to hear you're on the mend, fingers crossed it continues and you're home soon.

Lots of love and prayers,

Sue xxx

It is great to hear from you Peggy. You were in my thoughts yesterday after I received much sadder news from elsewhere. Our hold on life is very tenuous indeed and we need to appreciate what we have, and the joy of sharing it with others whilst we have the opportunity. Wishing you a speedy and incident free recovery.

Take care xx

Great to hear from you Peggy. What an awful time you and your family have had. So glad you are on the road to recovery, thinking of you and wishing you all the best. :o

Sally