Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Night Out To Remember

Rea

I went out with my friend on Friday night, to a small Irish bar near us. We've been before and always had a great time. This time was different. While my friend was away at the loo, the man next to me tried to take her drink. I stopped him with a smile and he apologised. My friend (who is 4 years younger than me) came back. The man said to me 'Is this your friend or your DAUGHTER?' :(

I like to think he was drunk and got confused with the usual line of 'Is this your friend or your mom?'

I am, quite rightly, in high umbridge. I am shocked at the rudeness, confused as to how the remark could have been made, given that I look younger than he suposed and I feel cheated that all I could think of to say was 'shut up and sit down'. :(

He later attempted to leave his hand on my knee for longer than a nano second. Did he REALLY think his chat up line would have softened me? His comment that 'I'm Irish and respect women' is still ticking over in my mind like a cryptic clue in a crossword. xD

We left my would be suitor and went to dance. A man asked my friend if he could join us, she said yes, and then I noticed his friend was videoing us. Weirdos all. :o

Bah humbug to christmas do's. :(

Sorry you didn't enjoy your night out xD but glad to hear you have previously enjoyed good nights out there. I agree they sound weirdos but am just a little bit bothered by the 'Irish bar' :o

I am half Irish and often refer to it as my best half. I just felt a need to say your unpleasant experience could have occurred in a non-irish bar!

Oooh how insulting and gross!! I worked in pubs in my student days and quickly discovered that men and women + too much alcohol = disaster. Wouldnt take it personally though as he probably couldnt even remember the next day. Sadly you can and its a shame your evening was ruined.

I usually stay in and have a drink - at least I can vouch for the company!!

In my younger days we always frequented the Irish pubs and clubs in NW London as they were the best nights out to be had. We were always wary of the lads who were 'just of the boats' as they seemed to think all girls were fair game and 'up for it' and the 'chat up' lines were beyond belief. However it didn't put of of Irish men as I've been married to one for 18 years now, and yes when I met him he was 'just of the boats' :o

Karrie

Goodness me poor you.

Well perhaps next year we could have a forum virtual party. We could plan the drinks and food, as well as a selection of music, and gyrate around to it without any criticism of our 'moves'. We can have exciting chats in chat and best of all no worries about driving home!

However it didn't put of of Irish men as I've been married to one for 18 years now, and yes when I met him he was 'just of the boats' xD

Nice one Karrie: just goes to show that there is always someone to confound a stereotype! :o

Rea: it sounds to me as if you might have had a lucky escape here: I'm wondering what this bloke was going to do with your friend's drink - perhaps his clumsy line was just him trying to think on his feet having been caught out?

Its always galling when you think of the perfect put-down twenty minutes after you needed it - but I'd say your language was pretty unambiguous and probably the only language this idiot would understand. :(

Maz

Sorry you didn't enjoy your night out xD but glad to hear you have previously enjoyed good nights out there. I agree they sound weirdos but am just a little bit bothered by the 'Irish bar' :o

I am half Irish and often refer to it as my best half. I just felt a need to say your unpleasant experience could have occurred in a non-irish bar!

Not sure why the Irish bar worries you Geraldine. I didnt refer to it for any reason other than thats where I went and the man himself had to tell me he was Irish.

I dont care who people are so long as they're nice and normal and not weird.

Not sure why the Irish bar worries you Geraldine. I didnt refer to it for any reason other than thats where I went and the man himself had to tell me he was Irish.

I dont care who people are so long as they're nice and normal and not weird.

I didn't understand the relevance of 'Irish' just felt if you had been to another bar you wouldn't write an 'English bar'

I think it is the case in any forum it can sometimes be easy to misunderstand/misinterpret what people write and from your reply that is clearly what I have done so I apologise.

Many years ago I was in a pub with a friend of mine and we were walking from one bit to another, we were both carrying drinks. As we past a couple of "men" one of them sang "she loves herself yeah yeah yeah" (the Beatles tune) and without missing a step my lovely friend turned her wrist and threw her drink all over him and carried on walking! It was fantastic and certainly shut him up - we made a hasty retreat after that; but I do so enjoy remembering it and would LOVE to do it to someone (sad I know), this was in the days when things/people were not quite so aggressive as they are now; about 30 years ago; I bet my bottom dollar he didn't do it again!!!

Rea: it sounds to me as if you might have had a lucky escape here: I'm wondering what this bloke was going to do with your friend's drink - perhaps his clumsy line was just him trying to think on his feet having been caught out?

Maz

Oh dear, is it because of my age or lack of nights out that this never even crossed my mind, I just read it as a chancer trying to get a freebie!

Karrie

Oh dear, is it because of my age or lack of nights out that this never even crossed my mind, I just read it as a chancer trying to get a freebie!

Karrie

No Karrie: its not your age. Just that I'm such a world-weary cynic!

Maz

PS I'll vote for the virtual Forum Christmas party - but I'm still hanging out for a real convention next year! :o

PS I'll vote for the virtual Forum Christmas party - but I'm still hanging out for a real convention next year! xD

Do you know something we don't Maz? What will Ms Weasley have to say about this then? Prehaps you're offering your crack organisational skills to make a virtual a reality! You definately have my vote of confidence :o.

Karrie

I didn't understand the relevance of 'Irish' just felt if you had been to another bar you wouldn't write an 'English bar'

I think it is the case in any forum it can sometimes be easy to misunderstand/misinterpret what people write and from your reply that is clearly what I have done so I apologise.

No, your right, but I would have said gay bar, or rocker bar. It kind of helps build a picture I think. :(

Anyway, I didnt mean to across all needy and pathetic. Yes he was rude, but I'm way beyond caring what a man thinks, if in deed they do!

Janny, I would love to have the nerve to do that. There would have been a lot of beer spilt over the years though :oxD

Prehaps you're offering your crack organisational skills to make a virtual a reality! You definately have my vote of confidence xD.

Me? Organisational skills? I think you've been misinformed, Karrie! :o