Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dropped In At The Deep End

Thank you for the link. I hope ofsted work over xmas as I take over in January :o

When our new manager sent in her forms it was only 2 weeks later that she had her interview... we just told them the date of the change over.

She said it was fine, more like a chat about her knowledge, and how she saw her role, and in her case they asked if she was making many changes etc.... how she thought it could move forward.... ( they have been expecting an inspection ever since, but so far no sign..... would not have been due until next July at the earliest but with all the changes with EYFS, new manager and extended hours they really expect one sooner. )

Inge

Welcome to the forum-it is a godsend at timesxx

I'm confused!! I dont really understand the nature of your setting?

Are you a private setting? Will you be the most senior member of management when you take over?

Is there a deputy? Do you now have responsibility of writing policies, contracts, wages, staff holidays and pay,grievance procedures, safeguarding issues?

I dont really understand the nature of your business.

Excuse me if you think i am asking silly questions, but i dont think you really understand the implications of taking over as 'supervisor' if your role is that of overall Manager. Maybe i am getting confused with how your setting is run!!!

Welcome to the forum-it is a godsend at timesxx

I'm confused!! I dont really understand the nature of your setting?

Are you a private setting? Will you be the most senior member of management when you take over?

Is there a deputy? Do you now have responsibility of writing policies, contracts, wages, staff holidays and pay,grievance procedures, safeguarding issues?

I dont really understand the nature of your business.

Excuse me if you think i am asking silly questions, but i dont think you really understand the implications of taking over as 'supervisor' if your role is that of overall Manager. Maybe i am getting confused with how your setting is run!!!

Hi, I'll try and answer your questions lol.

I will be the most senior member of staff, we don't actually have a manager, we are run as a co-operative (that's what our inspection report says anyway)

There are 2 deputy's, one in each room. I do now have responsibility of the policies, contracts etc. The wages are decided upon between myself and the deputy.

I'm going to ask the current supervisor today as to the "manager" issue :)

I will be the most senior member of staff, we don't actually have a manager, we are run as a co-operative (that's what our inspection report says anyway)

My over riding concern here is one about legal responsibility - if you are a co-operative does that make you all jointly liable for any debts or if someone were to take legal action against your group? I know you have said you will be the registered person, which suggests that you have more legal responsibility than the others - but the way you have phrased your comment above makes me wonder if you have got to grips yet with how your group is constituted.

I think your group's status makes it much more complicated than if you were buying a nursery or going to work for a committee run group where a consitution clearly sets out everyone's responsibilities and how the day-to-day running of the setting is organised. If it were me I would want to be 100% clear about the limitations of my own personal liability before signing on the dotted line.

I would echo what Peggy said about the Suitable Persons Interview: everyone I know who has had one has said it was a positive experience and an opportunity to lay out your own personal principles and the ethos that underpins your personal practice and the aims for your group. So just be yourself and answer as frankly as you can: Mrs Ofsted is very skilled at getting the answers she needs and will re-phrase if you haven't understood or haven't quite told her what she needs to hear!

Good luck - its an exciting time when you have the chance to realise your dreams isn't it? 2009 looks like being quite an eventful year!

Maz

But Maz.. not always a Mrs Ofsted

I know Inge: but this is one of the few sexist comments I allow myself these days - it'll always be Mrs Ofsted to me! :o I might sneak the odd Mr Ofsted in though from now on in your honour! xD

does every new Pre School leader have a 'fit person' interview? I sent my forms to Ofsted months ago and have heard nothing. Should I contact them and ask them if I should have an interview????? mrsbat, good luck in January, I hope everything goes well for you, mrsW

I would check.. we sent our first batch of forms in and they deny receiving them, even though it was one of several sent at the same time, some they had dealt with others not! only when we called to see what was happening as we had not heard from them did we find out, then she had to do another set of forms!

we often have this happen, where we send in 3 or 4 forms together one seems to be received and dealt with and others they claim to never have received.and they were in the same envelope...... even when we send it to be signed for! It was always an annual thing with new committee to be cleared before they actually left !

Inge

does every new Pre School leader have a 'fit person' interview? I sent my forms to Ofsted months ago and have heard nothing. Should I contact them and ask them if I should have an interview????? mrsbat, good luck in January, I hope everything goes well for you, mrsW

I didn't have one, but I did receive a letter confirming that I wasn't going to have one.

xxxx

I didn't have one, but I did receive a letter confirming that I wasn't going to have one.

xxxx

thanks louby loo and inge. I will ring Ofsted next year and ask! have a great Christmas, mrsW.

Hi Mrsbat

Have been reading through the responses and I am a bit worried like Peggy about the Legal side of who would be resposible if some one decided to take you to court over a money issue. Also the legal side of paying the wages and the Inland revenue.

Have you ever got legal advice from a solicitor on who would be responsible to the inland revenue for paying tax and N.I. If you are a co-operative then all 3 cheque signatories are legally responsible.

It all sounds a brilliant way to run as long as you all get on, but you must have a constitution even as a co-operative or not. I don't seem to be able to get my head around the fact that you employ yourselves it would seem? Are the profits taxed at the end of the year? like a private sole trader would be.

For your own safety in the eyes of the law I would make sure that you are very clear who stands where, as it would be awful when soemthing goes wrong that you could all be in serious trouble, and in this day and age of stroppy parents and non paying parents you need to safe guard yourselves.

Good luck with the new position

Happy christmas hope we haven't scared you off with all our questions lol

Like others I feel concerned for you. Your setting has probably been running like this for years with no problems. But perhaps now is the time to be a little more businesslike and to protect yourselves. If for instance the staff fell out with each other or there was a serious complaint, who would instigate disciplinary proceedings if you all employ each other? So many other issues could also be tricky and I think you need to take advice e.g. PLA, local authority business advisor, accountant, solicitor etc. But first have a lovely christmas.

Maybe there are other forum members who run their setting as a co-operative who could explain how it works for them and indicate what legal pitfalls you need to be aware of.

Have a happy Christmas though and best wishes for your new role come 2009. :o

Peggy