Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dating Photos

No not me! why on earth would that be necessary? I always routinely record the date of photographs but I presume you mean an 'official date' done during film processing.

I rename all the photos so that the filename is yyyymmddnnss (where the n stands for minute) so I always know to the second when the photo was taken but I don't feel the need to include a date under every photo in the profile. If necessary I could include the week but surely the term is sufficient?

I'm sorry but I've just got to say this...every time I see the title of this thread I assume it's something to do with speed dating or the like! :o

I'm sorry but I've just got to say this...every time I see the title of this thread I assume it's something to do with speed dating or the like! :o

Oh me too Wolfie - are you sure we weren't twins separated at birth? xD

If a photograph appears in a child's profile, benchmarking an achievement it must be dated, this will then later verify the actual age the child was at the time of the achievement.

My problem stems from how we produce our photographic reports. We hold all the jpegs in an Access database and then print them in area of learning / date order six to a page. We include under each photograph a comment by the teacher if appropriate. The more text you have under the photo, the fewer photos you can get on a page. Having to add the date as well is just another use of a scarce resource ie space on the page. I don't want to use the date imprint feature because, from an aesthetic point of view, it detracts from the photograph. What I could do, without using up page space, is include the week the photograph was taken as part of the page header. So Ofsted will see, to the week, when the achievement came about. I will always know to the second (see original post) and could report accordingly if it ever became necessary.

My problem stems from how we produce our photographic reports. We hold all the jpegs in an Access database and then print them in area of learning / date order six to a page. We include under each photograph a comment by the teacher if appropriate. The more text you have under the photo, the fewer photos you can get on a page. Having to add the date as well is just another use of a scarce resource ie space on the page. I don't want to use the date imprint feature because, from an aesthetic point of view, it detracts from the photograph. What I could do, without using up page space, is include the week the photograph was taken as part of the page header. So Ofsted will see, to the week, when the achievement came about. I will always know to the second (see original post) and could report accordingly if it ever became necessary.

• 3 months later...

I date my photos because I put the photo into word and then date it and add comments below. Then I save them in a folder on the computer with a folder for each child within. I have been told by local advisors this is acceptable evidence when they come to moderate, why would ofsted be different?

I don't understand how that could be less good evidence than a dated post it note. I don't add the seconds onto those, or get someone to countersign to prove I did it right or anything. Surely a dated photo is sufficient?

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't you just programme the camera so the date appears on the photo when you print it? You won't have to worry then about getting the correct date or spend extra time writing it on photos? just a thought!

Being required to date photos for ofsted? Never heard of it and think it must be some urban eyfs myth to be honest.

Dating photos so YOU know when it was taken and writing a comment about what it demonstrates in terms of learning seen - then that's just good practice.

I do think a photo is just a photo until someone explains why it's important however. When I'm moderating I'm not that bothered by the date but I want to know exactly why you thought it was an important moment to capture.

CX

Couldn't you just programme the camera so the date appears on the photo when you print it? You won't have to worry then about getting the correct date or spend extra time writing it on photos? just a thought!

Not all cameras have this facility. My Daughter's does, but neither of my 5 do. (hmm, yeah, 5 - I was surprised at that too - 4 live at Preschool - but if push comes to shove they are mine!)

Being required to date photos for ofsted? Never heard of it and think it must be some urban eyfs myth to be honest.

Dating photos so YOU know when it was taken and writing a comment about what it demonstrates in terms of learning seen - then that's just good practice.

I do think a photo is just a photo until someone explains why it's important however. When I'm moderating I'm not that bothered by the date but I want to know exactly why you thought it was an important moment to capture.

CX

100% agree 'catma'. In the past we have printed all our photos weekly (no time to do it daily) and felt it was "good practice" to date them precisely. But we're fed up with the lack of trust from Ofsted. Now we just date them as e.g 'Term 3, Week 2'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)