Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Some Help Please!

Hi,

I a pgce student and have my first observation next week which I am really nervous about. Could anybody help me think of a christmas or snowman based activity that would work well. I will have to introduce the activity on tha carpet to the whole class and then have an activity which the children can do in small groups focusing on CLL.

Thankyou for any help! :o

Hi Rando and welcome! What age are the children you are working with? And how many of them? Don't panic, you'll get plenty of ideas here! :o

Its nursery age children there'll be around 15 to 20 children in, theres also quite a wide range in ability as some are already four and others have just turned three. They have just watched the snowman which they loved so I would really like to do something that they are interested in but still please my tutor!

Hi, you could focus on ice, there are some fab websites listed in the resource section on here, some of which would be good used on an interactive whiteboard. Your focused activity could be exploring ice, choosing the best words to describe it etc- there are lovely printable icey words on sparklebox. Good luck x

You could do Polar bear, Polar bear what do you see with englishm ideas as well. It is a lovely repetative story and you could include the children's names, they love this Mary, Mary what do you see? good luck

Guest tinkerbell

How about a song 5 little snow men ..the melting one and they all stand up sto sing it and melt down

then tell them they are going to help you make the 5 snowmen for a display

a crafty type activity could be a large snow man drawn on paper empty (on back of wallpaper if no large paper available)then children stick cotton wool balls all over him

You could have crepe paper for scarf and colored paper for hat, big plastic bottle tops for eyes and buttons,pot of glue.

after the song show the children the five empty snowmen shapes and tell them you will be calling them over to help you make a snowmanwith some of the things on your table.

once you have a group talk about your resources and ask them what they would do to make a snowman>>>>>>>the questions will be your cll

i have also made snow men with white bun cases,edges dipped in glue then silver glitter! glued on the same way to cover the tummy and head.

also paper doilies cut up and glued on

5 snow men in different ways would look lovely for a display

Tinkerbell xxx enjoy

• 1 month later...

Hi Tinkerbell, i noticed you used cotton wool on your snowman. I had been informed that we cannot store cotton wool as it is a fire hazard. Is that still the case? if so how do you store it?

Hi Tinkerbell, i noticed you used cotton wool on your snowman. I had been informed that we cannot store cotton wool as it is a fire hazard. Is that still the case? if so how do you store it?

Hi and welcome to the forum davisconfused. :(

I think it begs the question, how much cotton wool are you planning on storing? :o Perhaps cotton wool is slightly more flammable than paper, but I am guessing you have absolutely heaps of different papers and cardboard stored already. I would question whether a couple of bags of cotton wool balls is really going to add a significant risk. Unless someone knows better! xD

Welcome to the Forum, davisconfused.

I wonder how Boots the Chemist stores its cotton wool? :o I'd be inclined to go back and ask whoever told you that you couldn't store it and ask them where they got their information from!

But then I'm in an awkward mood today!

Maz

Ok, I've had an experiment. I used the last 3cms or so of a roll, as that's what we are more likely to have. It burnt initially, but once it had all gone black it lost its enthusiasm and i lifted it ut of the fire with the tongs and blew it out. When i put it back in, it didn't really burn much.

The wad of tissue i put in was a different matter! I imagine we are more likely to have lots of boxes of tissues, toilet rolls and kitchen rolls in our settings. I wouldn't be overly concerned about cotton wool

Ok, I've had an experiment. I used the last 3cms or so of a roll, as that's what we are more likely to have. It burnt initially, but once it had all gone black it lost its enthusiasm and i lifted it ut of the fire with the tongs and blew it out. When i put it back in, it didn't really burn much.

The wad of tissue i put in was a different matter! I imagine we are more likely to have lots of boxes of tissues, toilet rolls and kitchen rolls in our settings. I wouldn't be overly concerned about cotton wool

Now all you need to do is write up your research, find a few supporting quotes and you can publish it in some eminent publication. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)