Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Divali

my husabnd the paedriatiracitan ( wrong spelling) says that cocout is not the same as other nuts as it is not a nut in the truest sense of the word.

so acc to hom the allergies are ..........

Coconut allergies are very rare. There is also a difference between tree nuts and peanuts. It is best to check with the parents as to what is and isn't safe to give their child though and err on the side of caution. :)

Is the child allergic to coconut in soaps as well or just food (always assuming they don't try to eat the soap :o )?

I'm confused! I always thought that the Divali celebrations we covered were for the Hindu festival. Sikhs also celebrate Divali (this year on October 25). Is there a difference?

In trying to research this, I found a school website which showed the activities they did (most of which have been mentioned here) but it was for the Sikh festival.

I apologise for my ignorance on this. :o Does anyone know the difference?

:)

Our Asthma nurse came to talk to our staff, she told us it is noe thought that allergies we on the increase due to the ammount of nut oil products in baby foods and lotions. We were told all children under 7 should avoid nuts of any kind, even sunflower oil and coconut oil.

Hi Libby

They are different as they are different religions. The Sikh festival is still a festival of lights but celebrates the release of Guru Hargobind from prison in 1619. The Golden Temple was lit with thousands of lights to welcome him home.

An explanation of the Hindu festival can be found here.

Linda

That's right Libby. I'm not too familiar with the Sikh festival I must be honest so don't really know what takes place other than the lights and the giving of sweets.

Linda

The hindu festival is celebrated differently around the different parts of india. Its essentially a autumn festival and the last big one before the new year. In the north its celebrated as the return of king rama and his wife to their kingdom after a 14 year exile. So lights are lit and fire works are let off in clebrations. Now- fireworks is supposed to be the old fashioned way fo fumigation. :o Else where the day celebrates the coming of goddess lakshmi- of wealth into houses. So houses are cleaned and lamps lit around the house and the front door to enable laksmi to enter the house- but the backdoor and any other exits out of the house remain unlit so that having entered the godess stays has no way out and stays with you for the entire year! xD Just some traditonal stories. I the south of India, diwali is clebrated as the day that a demon (can't remember his name) was killed. So the lighting of the lamps signifies the ending of the dark times. But essentially the lamp lights and fireworks are common for all hindus.

We buy new clothes for the day and visit our relatives. We usually touch the feet of elders within the family (traditonal way of paying respects) and are given presents of money. :D Sweets and dry fruits are also given as presents.

There is no pressure to buy, buy buy or give give give as is the case for Christmas. :(

here's a simple and yummy recipe we use for divali sweets

LARGE bar of milk chocolate

mini marshmallows

dried apricots or other such fruit

glacier cherries (optional)

Melt the chocolate and mix in all the indgredients. Put in little cake cases and allow to set in fridge. The sky's the limit when adding different things to the chocolate but we found that the mini mallows were especially popular :D

ummm......that's very interesting, if a little odd, don't you think? I think I would call the campaign Confused for Life. :o

Thank you so much for your answer hali - it was very kind of you to respond.

That seems to be the NIMBY way of life- you can eat 'BAD' food in your own house. Surely it should be more about moderation rather than branding certain types of foods and thereby making it more attractive. You know about the 'bad' boys your mother always warned you about!!! :o or was that just my mum- I digress

We should be teaching chidlren to make sensbible choices not branding anything one thing as bad or good. Its how often you eat it that matters.

Sorry to spoil the fun -

But isn't it sad that (several posts ago, Leo, refers) Christmas is all about Buy, Buy, Buy!!! It isn't in my house, but we're PRACTISING Christians (There is a difference!)

Sue :D

• 5 years later...
Well what lovely ideas.

I'm a hindu but never celebrated diwali in my nursery or reception in case the parents took it as an attempt to convert :o But since I've decided to leave, I'll 'do' diwali this year. Our school is all white except for lone me and no attempt is made to celebrate or acknowldge other religions. xD

I have been invited by other local schools to talk about the religion and customs. So anybody out there in NYorks who wants me i can come and 'do' diwali in your nursery and bring my bag of tricks. :D:D ( in the afternoons)

oh wow, Im hoping your still on here! iM IN nORTH yORKS AND REAALY STRUGGLING FOR IDEA'S FOR MY PLANNING PLEASE GIVE ME A MESSAGE BACK IF YOU ARE STILL A MEMBER

aND IM VERY NEW TO THIS WEB SITE - CAN YOU TELL

Welcome to the Forum, samlawry!

I just looked at leo's profile and it seems s/he was last on the Forum in July. Perhaps the best thing is to send a message direct - click on leo's name in the post and it will give you the option to send a message.

Hope that makes sense!

Maz

Welcome to the Forum, samlawry!

I just looked at leo's profile and it seems s/he was last on the Forum in July. Perhaps the best thing is to send a message direct - click on leo's name in the post and it will give you the option to send a message.

Hope that makes sense!

Maz

Hi maz

Thanks for that, being so new to this, does any one know any activities which could be done for hannuka, im forward planning....

sorry if this is in the wrong section - struggling some what where to put things !!

samx

Hi as we seem to be struggling somewhat on this topic, as to which is which is there anyway of listing them on the forum to include dates for the year, country of origin, festivals, ideas for all to share, i'm sure you fantastic people out there have got lots of other wonderful suggestions. Or is there one already? Not sure this is possible or even desirable, if so would it beable to fit into the topic section at alL.

Thank you xD:o

I'm not sure quite what you want but if you look this post is in the Celebrations forum area. If you click on Celebrations there is a pinned link to the wonderful Woodlands school website which has all the celebrations and dates on it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)