Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Going For A Walk

Hi, we are going to begin regular walks next week for our 3-4 year olds. Can anyone suggest a list of things I can put into a rucksack??

My ideas are - umbrellas, phone, camera agnifying glasses , plastic bags, wipes.....

any more, please!! :o

Ensure phone is charged and has credit. xD

Also be prepared for if phone has no signal. :o

We also had a laminated sign for our entrance door, to place outside, saying;

'Gone fo a walk to............(ie: Library).....(filled in with a dry wipe pen), we will be back by.........................(time).

Mobile No is .........................................

Peggy

Out of interest, what adult:child ratio will you be having for your walks, sunshine?

How about putting in some of those washing tablet bags for popping 'specimens' into? (I mean leaves, stones etc rather than those of a bodily kind! :o )

Maz

Spare clothes (socks, pants, trousers, etc) just in case of an accident! (toilet or otherwise).

Water for moping up wounds.

Algo gel for cleaning hands.

good luck with your walks, we have been going for a walk most days as we dont have an outside space... trouble is a group of boys are now saying "Oh not another walk i would rather stay and play" so do we go with what the children want or FRESH AIR as in the EYFS....

we go with what they want! we simply CANNOT get out every day - EYFS wasn't designed for a setting on top of a moor! we'd be flying the children like kites some days - we need shares in bungee elastic! We cannot have free-flow with doors open as they'd blow off their hinges!

does everyone have a ratio of 1 adult to 2 children when they take their children for a walk? (worrying ever so slightly because I don't)

Guest MaryEMac

We don't because we use a Walk-o-dile. Children are firmly attached, so that we could with two Walk-o-diles, take 12 children with just 3 adults. We always have 4 staff on duty so that extra children can walk with an adult. Hope that makes sense.

Mary

I didn't used to have 1-2 ratio, I decided numbers relevant to risk assessment, often just maintaining the 'indoor' ratio requirements. My children were 'experienced' walkers, learning very quickly the 'rules' of safe, enjoyable outings.

Peggy

good luck with your walks, we have been going for a walk most days as we dont have an outside space... trouble is a group of boys are now saying "Oh not another walk i would rather stay and play" so do we go with what the children want or FRESH AIR as in the EYFS....

We have this issue too.. Do you go out as a whole group - this is what we seem to be doing and it's a nightmare the whole thing is just a disarster with children hanging around waiting for everyone etc.

I wanted to do small groups just for those interested - but I think there should be a level 3 on the walk, what do others do anyone have small groups that go out with level 2s only??

xxxx

• 3 weeks later...

We don't always dp a ratio of 1:2 but do at times. We decide during risk assessment and the ratio is calculated depending on which children are in that day, where we are going and what we will be doing. Next week our children are going to the woods and we have planned a ratio of 1:4 due to majority being 4 and it not being far from nursery.

Last week we went on the local bus and carried out a ratio of 1:3 with 3-5 year olds.

Hope this all makes sense.

Debbie x

We go out for regular walks & play out side. I have found it really useful to have some hand cleaning gel in our bags to use after collecting leaves etc.

We have 24 children per morning we all go out and we have five staff plus an adult helper. We use our walking rope as we are in the middle of a town. Some times we get stopped and I have to justify the staff to children ratio and the use of the walking rope. This happens quite often so i am in the process of printing some little information cards about ratios, the method we use to keep the children safe & the fact that if i stop & discuss this with you for to long our ratios have dropped! However we do get lots of positive comments as well so maybe I should make some thank you cards as well!

Well as there is only 2 staff and 16 children on roll (not in every day), we don't really get chance to go on a daily walk. If we do it tends to happen when we have low numbers. Then we only walk around the church buliding (hard to explain) and back into preschool again.

Beth

• 1 month later...
Thanks everyone. The children are 3-4 years and our ratios will be 1 adult to 2 children . we have volunteers! xD

:o Just read this - we usually go for walks with a 1:3 ratio. This is often difficult to achieve and I would love more opportunities to go out for walks, just for the great freedom and space. Does this need to be looked at again, especially in light of the fact that over the coming weeks I have about six more under 3s moving up into our pre-school room?

We also use a rope, which the children love and it is brilliant. We have just been issued with fluorescent yellow vests for the children and orange (with large logo on back) for the staff! I am sure the owners would love us to walk about all day long advertising the setting!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)