Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music Area

What kinds of things do you have out in your music area / for your continuous provision for music for children to access independently? I remember someone said (I don't know if it was on here or on a course) that it would be impossible for children to have the chance to fully achieve the musical ELGs without a good music and movement type area - and I must admit I don't have a good one! Any ideas or photos would be hugely appreciated!

Here are a few photo's of the different ways I set up my music area.

All instruments were available at all times for self selection. xD

This stopped the mad dash often found when a box of instruments suddenly appears out of a cupboard at 'music time'. :o

It's worth taking the time to photograph individual instruments and use these to label the area.

Have fun.

Peggy

post-3604-1225137566_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1225137597_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1225137671_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1225137700_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1225137726_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1225137762_thumb.jpg

Peggy, we have a very well equipped indoor music area that the children have continuous use of, and we have also got a metal frame with different instruments hung on for outdoor music making. It has a three hooks on the top to hang large instruments on (the company also sold a large gong to hang off it but it as very expensive!! xD ) my question to you is where did you get your bamboo chime thing from?? It would be perfect for my outdoor frame. Was it very expensive? :o

Peggy, we have a very well equipped indoor music area that the children have continuous use of, and we have also got a metal frame with different instruments hung on for outdoor music making. It has a three hooks on the top to hang large instruments on (the company also sold a large gong to hang off it but it as very expensive!! :( ) my question to you is where did you get your bamboo chime thing from?? It would be perfect for my outdoor frame. Was it very expensive? xD

Your music area sounds wonderful. :o

I think I bought it from abroad, when hubby was a salesman he won us a cruise around the Med. I got quite a few preschool instruments, drums, shakers, and the bamboo. So sorry don't know if they are available in the UK.

Peggy

These look really good, but couldn't find the prices.

Have you ever heard of an instrument called an ANGKLUNG?

Look HERE

Looks great for an outdoor resource (or indoors as well :o )

Peggy

Love the pictures peggy, you always have everything organised!!! :( At the moment the musical instruments are not out all the time ( :o ) but do come out regularly. Everything else is available 'continous provision' so I suppose I should be offering musical instruments xD

In our book corner we have a music station where the children can access freely, i could adapt this area for musical instruments.

Yes, like you we don't have our out as we're just a chapel hall and the noise would be horrendous!

We got some good instruments from The Works' which were really good, wooden and brazil nut shells and bamboo stuff like that, the children choose them above the bells and more 'traditional-looking' things

Yes, like you we don't have our out as we're just a chapel hall and the noise would be horrendous!

We got some good instruments from The Works' which were really good, wooden and brazil nut shells and bamboo stuff like that, the children choose them above the bells and more 'traditional-looking' things

I was based in a pack away large hall, the children weren't 'noisy' with the instruments because they didn't have the 'novelty' factor being available all the time. They 'played' them properly because they were normally accessed by individuals at a time and therefore staff could show each child how to use their choice of instrument in the appropriatte manner. :o

One way to reduce the sound even more is to get a tent, or hang blankets/sheets over tables and have a 'music den', the children tend to play even softer when the environment in which the instruments are placed is enclosed under canvas.

Peggy

Love the pictures peggy, you always have everything organised!!! :( At the moment the musical instruments are not out all the time ( :o ) but do come out regularly. Everything else is available 'continous provision' so I suppose I should be offering musical instruments xD

In our book corner we have a music station where the children can access freely, i could adapt this area for musical instruments.

Good idea to consider having music as a continuous provision. T

hink about the need for quiet, uninterupted area for books though, so maybe seperate books from music area.

That has reminded me though that I had lots of song sheets (nursery rhymes too) and music score books, and books about various instruments in my music area.

Peggy

Our music area is outside, under a canopy. We have a outdoor socket so we can put lots of different types of music on, and we have a music trolley with all sorts of instruments. We include streamers and scarves and bells you can attach to clothing. This week we had halloween music which included sound effects and the children spontaneously tried to make similar noises firstly with their voices and then with the instruments. It also really contributed to the role play with one child making up a story as he was listening to the sounds.

Sue

Went into nursery middle of the week and rearranged a few areas so I could fit in a music area....took Peggy's suggestion on board and have kept the book corner seperate from the music...i now need to add pictures of instruments and labels and find some books on instruments, oh and start adding to the collection...ebay here I come

• 4 years later...

we have a music wall outside and if we suppliment with instruments we usually put those outside too.....the hall is very large and it is not condusive to music inside...especially as i have children with hearing aids. However we do masses of singing

Like Finleysmaid we have a 'sound wall' with various things that can be banged, beat, tapped...not necessarily instruments, inside we have a basket of musical instruments that can be accessed at all times (but not really loud ones) and lots more that come out if an actual planned activity

the instruments used to come out regularly not every day but at least 3 times a week,usually one in an organised style play to discuss and learn about the instruments how they are played etc.. and then free play in or outdoors... the more they are available the better they are used and the less the noise level...and by doing the organised group play with an adult they began to organise themselves into a small group play ...

When I started doing this all staff groaned and suddenly had head aches... once we had established that we were going to do it and had it out more often they realised the novelty value is what caused most of the issues.. having it removed by persevering over a few weeks it was occasionally an area not touched all morning .

we did find it took a term to work , and each Sept it was start again time!

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)