Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toileting Checklist

hopscotch

I have a new member of staff from another setting who has suggested having a book to log nappies changed and their condition and also when a child has had an accident. Please can you give me your thoughts on this. I have worked at 2 other settings and have never heard of this withing a pre-school envionment. i knew it was common in nurseries but thought this was more for babies and those who are there for extended periods of time ie: 8 until 6. we áre sessional, the longest session being 9 - 2.45. we accept all children, potty trained or not obviously and have some children with special needs where nappies are essential.

:o

We have a daily sheet, all nappy changes are logged on, dirty/wet

How potty training is going and accidents, It also helps us know where our spare knickers are going :o

It's not a bad idea, i think.It covers you if a parent were to say their child had not been changed and had got sore as a result (you can show the book and say, yes, in fact daisy was changed at 10am 'cos she'd poo'd and her bottom was clear then, and again at 1 when it was changed 'cos we knew she was wet.....or yes, diarrhoea was noted so she was sent home...........or parent says she is constipated and asks you to check if she has performed), in these days where you can be sued for everything, it's not a bad idea to keep a brief record and sign it?

We keep a record of nappy changes/ changes of wet pants etc....I was going to download a copy but can't seem to find one. It's basically a sheet of A4 showing childs name, date, time, details of change and signature of staff member who dealt with it.

Yes, I would agree that it's probably good practice to keep a record of nappies changed and by whom - from a safeguarding children stance, unfortunately, as well as the other reasons already mentioned.

We used to keep a record attached is the sheet we used.

W = Wet

S = Soiled

If comments needed to be made, ie: constipated, rash, accident changed clothes, etc, we would just write on line below childs name.

The sheets were ring bound and placed on a table, with pen near to the toilet entrance. :o

Peggy

NAPPY_CHANGE_REPORTS.doc

We are a Pre-School and have recorded Nappy changes and clothe changes where accidents have happened, detailing the item/s changed and the reason for change for the past couple of years. We feel that it is a good idea for all the above reasons but also it is another example of good parental partnerships.

Well Hopscotch looks like it's just you and me then. We are a sessionl pre-school open for 3hours and have never recorded nappy changes or change of clothes. Have never had Ofsted, accreditation inspectors or our EY's team comment on tihis. Maybe because we are only open for 3 hours

Hi.

We implemented this record a couple of years ago and it has held us in good stead, especially when a parent commented to ofsted on a visit that we did not support her and her twins in potty training. During the feedback where inspector stated that our partnership with parents was reduced from good to satisfactory we showed her the changing book where it was dated and signed on who had taken the twins to the toilet and the outcome, whether they used potty or not.and notes that i had recorded when mom asked us to support the children.

Although we still stayed at satisfactory, we knew we were doing it right!

Hope this helps

Hope you had a good day and a better one tomorrow!

Well Hopscotch looks like it's just you and me then.

No, you can include me too! We're a sessional pre-school and have never formally recorded nappy changes (although often provided feedback to parents about the circumstances, obviously!). Like you, no-one has ever asked us to do so.

Mind you, I'm seriously thinking about it now...

Thanks guys! :o

Maz

:o

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It was interesting to read everone's take on it, we are going to do it as i feel it's good practice and at the end of the day it will ensure all the children in nappies/ pull ups have been attended to and when. Also we will be able to make notes to each other about preferences ie: potty, big toilet. We do seem to have a lot this term - funny how it goes in phases!!

Thanks again and happy pottying!

hopscotch

we have a changing book that the person who changes a nappy completes and I as manager countersign. Parents sign to acknowledge it when they collect their child. We also use the same book to record changes to children who have 'accidents'. We don't record what was in the nappy though, and only tell parents if they specifically ask, for example if their child has been constipated or something. This any use to you?

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask what the toileting/changing policy is for school maintained nurseries?!? I'm new to nursery and there is a big query at the minute about changing soiled children as we have to changing facilities. Does anyone else have this issue and what would you suggest?! Please and thanks! D x

May I ask what the toileting/changing policy is for school maintained nurseries?!? I'm new to nursery and there is a big query at the minute about changing soiled children as we have to changing facilities. Does anyone else have this issue and what would you suggest?! Please and thanks! D x

What do you do at the moment, Gater? If the child has soiled themselves they need to be changed and made comfortable as soon as possible - your setting needs to provide a kindly adult and some sort of facility to do this in (we have a changing mat in our accessible toilet).

Is this a big problem in your setting?

Maz

We don't have a changing mat or washroom. The toilets for the children are too small to change anyone in and the only place to do so is the adjoining cloakroom that is VERY small indeed. At present we have changed children who have soiled themselves, but also rely on parents coming to school to do it if at all possible. The thing is, the staff have been changing children for many years, but are too short staffed to be able to man the changing of a child by two adults. The Deputy was under the impression that parents were immediately called and staff do not clean them at all. This doesn't help matters. Any suggestions?

We don't have a changing mat or washroom. The toilets for the children are too small to change anyone in and the only place to do so is the adjoining cloakroom that is VERY small indeed. At present we have changed children who have soiled themselves, but also rely on parents coming to school to do it if at all possible. The thing is, the staff have been changing children for many years, but are too short staffed to be able to man the changing of a child by two adults. The Deputy was under the impression that parents were immediately called and staff do not clean them at all. This doesn't help matters. Any suggestions?

Why are you taking up two adults? If you are CRB checked that shouldn't be necessary. Also you have to take into consideration the need for some privacy for the child

Why are you taking up two adults? If you are CRB checked that shouldn't be necessary. Also you have to take into consideration the need for some privacy for the child

I have been informed that we are legally required to have two people present to change a child.

I have been informed that we are legally required to have two people present to change a child.

There is no legal requirement for but it seems to be the policy adopted by many places. There have been many past discussions about this very subject and there is a strong feeling that this is unnecessary. Personally I would challenge whoever has stated this is a legal requirement and strongly urge them to look at it from a common sense approach instead!

Hi post writer - yes this a reali good idea to keep track of nappies changed, recording them as "w" for wet and "s" soiled and the times they are changed throughout the day :o it is also good to have an additional comments collumn where you can write if you have applied cream, if the nappy was particularly loose etc

It is good to keep a record of daily nappy changes as it can help when a parent complains or suggests that their child has not been changed since so and so and it is also what OfSted like to see as well xD

We also have a sheet which records any items of spare clothing going home etc and then recording when it is brought back. Sort of like a signing in and out sheet for spare clothes.

Kirsty xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)