Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hand Washing Or Wipes?

Guest lesboyle

I think Ofsted would be 'fine' with wipes, but would probably not be thinking about it as outstanding practice because it isnt helping the children learn life skills - the whole process of washing hands along with understanding why. I think it depends on the situation - sometimes it is more convenient, but overall I believe that it is considered better practice to get the children to wash their hands.

Lesley

• 4 months later...

I think ordinary wipes are fine. I wouldn't use antibacterial wipes - chemicals are unnecessarily drying on a child's skin. Plus, do we really need to be THAT clean - I don't think it's good for children to be antibacterial!

I think Ofsted would be 'fine' with wipes, but would probably not be thinking about it as outstanding practice because it isnt helping the children learn life skills - the whole process of washing hands along with understanding why. I think it depends on the situation - sometimes it is more convenient, but overall I believe that it is considered better practice to get the children to wash their hands.

Lesley

Hello all, This is my first post, so hope it goes well !!

We are in a village hall and set up daily, our toilets are out of the room and down a hall. we purchased a mobile sink unit which has 2 water bottles under, one for clean soapy water and one for the waste water. the children operate the pumping tap and use paper towles. we also have a rolling snack and find this the best and easiest solution. The children wash their hands in the bathroom after painting ETC. Having just had our Ofsted today we know that they are VERY happy with this. on another note, the wipes and gel can often leave a nasty taste on the hands.

Love this site, totally hooked on it !!

When we had Ofsted last July the inspector didnt like the wipes. I've now bought a whole load of face cloths and the children use these, only those who cant get to the bathroom, saves on cost too. For those of you who cant get to the bathroom couldn't you use facecloths? Someone could go to the bathroom before snack, wet them (enough for 1 for each child), bring them back then let the children take 1 each when needed and then put in the dirty pile when used to ensure they're not used a second time.

Like the idea of a mobile sink though!

When we had Ofsted last July the inspector didnt like the wipes. I've now bought a whole load of face cloths and the children use these, only those who cant get to the bathroom, saves on cost too. For those of you who cant get to the bathroom couldn't you use facecloths? Someone could go to the bathroom before snack, wet them (enough for 1 for each child), bring them back then let the children take 1 each when needed and then put in the dirty pile when used to ensure they're not used a second time.

Like the idea of a mobile sink though!

We were told by our OFSTED inspector to stop using face flannels as even when only used once, there was still a danger of cross contamination!! So as someone else has already said, I really think that it will depend on the personal views of an inspector.

Also this system doesn't work if you ahve a rolling snack, you wuld have a staff memebr in the bathroom all morning.

We had one of those sinks but couldnt get on with it. We have just had our Ofsted and they were okay with the wipes. We only use them at snack - children have the opportinity to learn about hygiene when they visit the toilet. Would be a nightmare taking th children out to wash hands for snack time.

smiles

Reading this thread just proves that what you are told about handwashing/wipes/flannels is largely dependent upon the views of the individual Ofsted inspector who comes through your doors. If they can't agree on something so basic how on earth are we providers supposed to give them what they want to see on Inspection day?

Fairly makes a mockery of the whole system, if you ask me!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)