Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quality Check Visit

I am due a quality check visit in the near future.

Something I don't have, which I know I should, is a staff register.

Is there a particular format for this or is it possible to put it in the children's register (there are only two of us)

Don't want to sound a numpty but I really don't know. :o

many thanks,

jackie

Jackie - I designed my own register so I could fit everything in. I'll go away, take out the children's names and then attach it so you can see how mine looks - it might give you an idea or it might be completely useless!

Maz

PS When children/staff arrive on time we just tick the 'in' box but if children arrive after registration (or staff arrive after their shift should start) then we put the time in. Not sure if this is entirely correct now that the EYFS is with us - but I'm sure its not the only thing I should have changed, but havent! :o

Blank_register_page.doc

Edited by HappyMaz

Hi

this was something that came up at our previous (inadequate) inspection. Ofsted said that we had to write down the times that the children came and left. We also have a staff register at the entrance to the building which must be used everytime you leave or enter the building, with the time. I would add your staff names to the childrens register as there are only two of you. This was something that was a real issue with our inspector (what wasn't with inadequate lets face it!!)

In case you don't know we were reinspected again in July and got good. She was pleased with the registers!! Looks like the ones that have already been posted with the exception that we write the times for all children coming and going.

i understood that now we have to enter times, not ticks as before for expected times.. we used to do this using a colour code as we are /were 2 sessions a day and children had a mix of both but now put times in.. takes longer..

Inge

We have similar format to maz/hali, but we have one sheet for mondays, tuesdays etc with the whole half term on it. on it I have put "all children are in at 9.15 and leave at 12.15 unless otherwise stated"

Staff are included on this register - we do a very quick group registration and we also call/count adults with the children.

.....But strangely enough I was just about to make a new staff time in/out sheet... and I just had to check the forum first and found this discussion!...... anywayrhis sheet will be kept to record actual times staff arrive/leave the building -

Already had a few grumbles about it - they consider it a 'timesheet' - wouldn't mind but none of them are ever late without very good reason- so not really sure why they're moaning about it.

xxx

Can I ask those of you print out register what you put it in? I believe we have to have to use bound book for the register?? Do you stick the pages in?

Cath

I have a comb binding machine which holds it all together but allows the register to be unbound, and rebound if it is necessary to add something (which is usually necessary because I always forget something!). As well as the weekly register, I put in a list of the children in chronological order, which includes information about which children are funded, which we need to do profiles for, who their key worker is etc. Also an attendance list so that we can check easily if we have spaces for parents who want to book ad-hoc sessions, a list of children's allergies, staff contact details, our building evacuation procedure and list of children's names so we can keep track of which parents we have contacted if we need to get children collected.

The list seems to go on and on, but it is useful having one central place to look for information during the session!

Maz

Hmmmm...perhaps I will look into costs of said binding machine as I guess it could halp with allsorts of things!

I have put mine in to a ring binder for now and deciding what to do - just don't want to get in trouble with the big O!! Everyone seems to do it differently and I'm sure this is on some inspectors hit lists!! Got an 'inadequate' recently and am determined to get at least a 'good' for the next one!!

C

Hmmmm...perhaps I will look into costs of said binding machine as I guess it could halp with allsorts of things!

I use the CB105 which I bought from Partners and is really quite reasonable. Because you can buy the comb bindings in a variety of sizes it is very useful.

Its a bit like a laminator - once you have one you find all sorts of ways to use it!

Maz

we too have 9am in the in column at the top and just tick if arrived when door opened. if they arrive after we lock the door then a time is written next to the tick and the same with leaving. if they leave early and late I ask parents to initial it if late it brings attention to any regular culprits. :o Ofsted were more then happy.

Andrea

I have also attached our register. We have a weekly sheet or the children & one for staff & any visitors. Our last ofsted inspector originally said to have the time of arrival & departure just ticked (with those late having the time written down) was not good enough- however she did check with her Manager who said as long as the times (ice 9.30 & 12.30 pm ) are written at top of Colum this would be fine. I print off the register every half term, we have only one intake in September, so do it all then) with the relevant dates and put each sheet into a plastic wallet which is all kept in a zipped portfolio, along with children’s registration forms, staff personal details etc etc. This has worked really well for the last 6/8 years. Any emergencies and we have to leave hall, I just grab the whole thing and we would have contact details for everyone in the building. Ofsted have been happy with this format through the last two inspections- however we are currently doing a PSLA re-accreditation and the psla accredit or has told me that this is no good and it needs to be in a bound book- asked about the comb binding machines and was told no as these are too easy to add to or remove. I am so cross- when we did our accreditations originally they were fine, Ofsted say they are fine just them now saying they aren't. The thought of writing all this information out by hand every six weeks fills me with horror.

Blimey, Sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread or to waffle quite so much

blank_reg.doc

lynned55 I love your registers can I use them? we have a similar one that our boss made yours is much better. I would write times in and out though as that was what we were asked by our inspector but no mention of a book think PSLA are after some money for their reg. we keep ours on a clip board easy to grab and run if need be and we have just done a QA scheme it met their criteria.

sue

We have the usual opening and closing times printed faintly in the boxes and a tick means they arrived/left on time. Otherwise we write the correct time over the top. We keep them in one of those A4 display books where you can slip the sheet in at the top. Ofsted were perfectly happy with this arrangement as our LA advisors and it has saved us a fortune on registers as were using more spaces than the printed ones allowed each week and wasting other space.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)