Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Words To Use When,,

ok ,

what words do you use if a child BREAKS WIND?

parents have different words and im not happy useing the word

FA@*!ed..

children always laugh and i have found myself walking into the other room wid a grin on my face

but what do you think is a polite word ..

thank you x

The one I like is Botty Burp xD

When my son was young I used to say he'd 'fluffed', don't know where that term came from though, and other may not undersand it.

or there is 'blown off'

Peggy

p.s. be interested to see others responses, how sad am I? :o

We asked parents what they preferred....but tend not to make reference to it unless a child does...

That said one of the favourite books in our setting at end of last term was 'Farley Farts'... about a frog.. we used a whoopie cushion for the word... but the children and parents were all happy using the word in the book...

(But we had a group of children who also loved Little Rabbit foo foo... often reciting it in play and at home .. parents found it amusing...)

Inge

One little girl in our setting says she has 'popped'.

We also use the word 'parped'.

How sad are we! :o

My grandad always used to say:

A fart is a chemical eruption

it comes from a place called the bum!

It penetrates a passage in your trousers

and comes out in one hell of a hum! xD:(

Guest MaryEMac

We ask if anyone has 'Pumped'. Depending on the child the reply can be 'no I've just farted'. :o

When my children were little, my cousin used to ask who had coughed in their rompers?

Mary

Living in a house full of men...husband and sons.....the subject is always a hot topic our particular favourite ditty is...

If you bottom burps in public

simply say in time

goodness gracious what a whiff...... it doesn't smell like mine!! :o

I too use bottom burps,but as you say children use a variety of words

I think what you call certain things is affected by the region children are bought up in. We had a family who joinned us from Glasgow who used a word for visiting the bathroom that is considered rude locally and left many with open mouths, also we found a lot of our asian children were coming into school with very factual discriptive words because their families hadn't picked up the local slang! Not sure how the influx of eastern europeans is being effected??

I usually say 'pardon you' and just carry on :o locally I think our children would say pooped

im glad we are enjoying this subject but i was sick to death of

EYFS EYFS EYFS EYFS EYFS EYFS EYFS EYFS EYFS

SORRY im dreaming about it now....

well i got the answers i was looking for dont want this to be child led activity ,,,,,

as in asking children what do you think we should call the common botty burp?!!

but its been fab reading all your posts and hope you had a little fun too xxx

many thanks pmsl Andrea :o

actually...........Quote "well i got the answers i was looking for dont want this to be child led activity ,,,,,

as in asking children what do you think we should call the common botty burp?!!"

I think it should be the focus of your mat time discussion tomorrow, I can just envisage a sheet of paper with drawings of lots of bottoms with speech bubbles coming out, and you filling in the speech bubble as each child tells you what they call it. xD

attached a record sheet to go with your discussion, can also be used as a No ????? sign. :o

Peggy

No____speech_bubbles.doc

Peggy that has to be the best post eva!!!

PMSL

:(:(:(:o

OOOH PARDOM ME xD TOO MUCH RED WINE LOL

it has been fun and so much better than the bl@@:!* EYFS

just sick to death of d word,,

im a childminder and bl@@"!/ proud of it!!

im off to bed ill pop on n see if any1 else has added to this? but think its about time we

stopped and become what we started to be and that is loving people

not teachers!

we give children fun and a family atmostphire wid a little learning on d way ,, pardom me!!1 its a pump not a fart!!

but we are what we are and the children love us for it so lets stop trying to be teachers and enjoy what we are...

im a childminder not a teacher what are you? good night hope you enjoyed this topic wid love xxxxx

"im a childminder not a teacher what are you? "

I disagree in that I believe we are all 'teachers' of our children, maybe it just depends how the term 'Teacher' is interpreted.

I think teachers at heart are like preschool staff, childminders and any other early years professionals in that they want children to feel safe, secure and have fun learning, unfortunately some percieve 'teaching' as formal education, in the true sense of the word, it's not about formal or the 3 R's.

Here are some teacher quote:

As a teacher I feel I have a moral obligation to help the children in my classroom grow toward becoming full human beings and to feel successful. Teaching cognitive skills is not enough...

-- Jean Medick

A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.

-- Henry B. Adams

The kids in our classroom are infinitely more significant than the subject matter we teach.

-- Meladee McCarty

Teaching is not a profession; it's a passion.

-- Unknown

Your heart is slightly bigger than the average human heart, but that's because you're a teacher.

-- Aaron Bacall

I put the relation of a fine teacher to a student just below the relation of a mother to a son...

Thomas Wolfe

Peggy

p.s. How's the hangover :o

Unity.doc

hi peggi , sorry not looked on till now,

lol im fine thanks,

I think with stopping smoking and getting myself in a twist about EYFS, i may have over stepped the mark, sorry x

but on last nights fun no i did not have carpet/circle time on the subject,

i was tempted and had a little giggle to myself but no i did not mention

botty burps.

it was a fun post and it got my mind off other things

think im spending too much time alone in my setting need to get out a bit more

with other CM

wish i could find CM from my area on the forum?

Do you have a childminding network co-ordinator or Borough advisor for childminders? Perhaps you could give them the web address to circulate? Or you could write a small piece for inclusion in your Borough's newsletter saying how great it is?

You could always put a classified ad in your local paper:

"high quality CM looking for similar for long-term, mutually advantageous virtual relationship. Will lead to significant improvement in practice, understanding of principles and philosophy of EYFS and to the generation to the wider dissemination of terminology relating to the expellation of bodily gases. Ability to engage in multi-disciplinary-EYFS-grievance-airing dialogues without losing sense of humour a bonus"...

Maz

Do you have a childminding network co-ordinator or Borough advisor for childminders? Perhaps you could give them the web address to circulate? Or you could write a small piece for inclusion in your Borough's newsletter saying how great it is?

You could always put a classified ad in your local paper:

"high quality CM looking for similar for long-term, mutually advantageous virtual relationship. Will lead to significant improvement in practice, understanding of principles and philosophy of EYFS and to the generation to the wider dissemination of terminology relating to the expellation of bodily gases. Ability to engage in multi-disciplinary-EYFS-grievance-airing dialogues without losing sense of humour a bonus"...

Maz

Maz, I think you've just beaten my record for the longest sentence written. Yours is much funnier than mine though. :o

Peggy

hi peggi , sorry not looked on till now,

lol im fine thanks,

I think with stopping smoking and getting myself in a twist about EYFS, i may have over stepped the mark, sorry x

but on last nights fun no i did not have carpet/circle time on the subject,

i was tempted and had a little giggle to myself but no i did not mention

botty burps.

it was a fun post and it got my mind off other things

think im spending too much time alone in my setting need to get out a bit more

with other CM

No worry's Andrea08, :( Well done for stopping smoking, I wish I could, (but not wishing enough to actually manage it xD ).

As for EYFS, I 'got out' from preschool last year so haven't had the stress of it as others have had, but I do empathise.

Why not have a look in the childminders forum, click on participants names to see their profile and see if any are near to you, send them a PM (use Maz's words if you dare :o ) and see if you can meet up with like minded minders. :wacko:

If not, we are always here, may not all be childminders but we do all have the same goals, to make each childs learning journey and early years life successful and fun. :(xD

We all have moany days too :(

Peggy

and of course we also share the fact that the goalposts are constantly moving! xD

Well using that euphanism (spl)-(football).......... I got 'sent off' :o

I just didn't want to play by the rules anymore. :(

Peggy

ok just picked myself up off the floor, dusted myself down and just stopped pmsl,

:o back to reality,,, your right i do need some1 to bounce off and work with

think i got a little cabin feever!

one of my reception kiddies is off this wk and not even done my normal trip to school,

so im putting it down to cabin fever,

so many of my friends have stopped childminding and not just because of EYFS but

money, parents, respect and their own families ..... so i kinda miss going out with them

and chattin about our work and good ideas,

this is a lonley job and to tell the truth friends dont understand,,, ok so they have their own children

but unless your in the job i dont think they can understand childminding?

i started this post about botty burps as a bit of fun, light relief,, and now im chattin to you about cabin fever?

its mad but thanks at times like this week i realy dont know what i would have done wid out this forum and the

people chattin away and givin good advice

oh im going off on one again lol hope to find you around again soon take care xx

Andrea08, I look forward to more of your 'light relief' posts in the future, a bit of 'silly stuff' does more good than harm Id say. xD

I'm a Foster carer and also feel a bit 'lonely', although hubby works at home with me as well, It's a far cry from when I had my own preschool employing up to 9 staff per day. I find self motivation the most difficult, day time TV (just an hour) and the forum keep distracting me from what I should be doing. I have 4 children for whom I need to write a daily diary for, monthly and six monthly reports and also attend training etc (that's good gets me out the house).

But hey, it's the vocation we've chosen and the 'magic moments' far outway the negatives, others (non childcare people) don't understand (How could they) but they don't know what they are missing either. :o:(

Peggy

FOSTERED CHILDREN"

i use to foster ,,, teenage girls ,,, i know i must have been mad but still intouch with them

and one still comes to stay ova

how is foster work these days and i didn't know you had to do diarys for them?

is the work simular to 24/7 childminding?

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)