Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Whole Stupid Situation

This summer was the first summer hols i have had since owning a playgroup. I am sure like me most people spent their summer doing paperwork. Tonight i have been to playgroup with two members of staff to catch up on filing photos in their learning journals as we do not have enough time during the day.

on a plus point the reception teacher said that the children who have gone to school have settled really well because our routine is simular to theirs and the sit and listen really well. Surely this is what it is all about preparing the children for school to be happy, confident well mannered children that can follow instructions. all this is much more important than what they have acheived. there is plenty of time for that at school

Bring back the good old days providing varied activities to meet their needs and interests. no observations or plans.

angela

This summer was the first summer hols i have had since owning a playgroup. I am sure like me most people spent their summer doing paperwork. Tonight i have been to playgroup with two members of staff to catch up on filing photos in their learning journals as we do not have enough time during the day.

on a plus point the reception teacher said that the children who have gone to school have settled really well because our routine is simular to theirs and the sit and listen really well. Surely this is what it is all about preparing the children for school to be happy, confident well mannered children that can follow instructions. all this is much more important than what they have acheived. there is plenty of time for that at school

Bring back the good old days providing varied activities to meet their needs and interests. no observations or plans.

angela

Sorry I beg to disagree in that I don't think its preschools role to 'prepare the children for school', Yes, I agree to enable them to be happy, confident, respectful (of self then others). To follow instructions that motivate and inspire, but not just for the sake of it if it means losing their 'uniqueness' and 'autonomy'. I am a strong believer in that young children shouldn't have to experience too much 'instruction', to become too 'institutionalised' at too young an age.

All children, whatever age should have their achievements recognised and valued and yes, observed and recorded. To be praised and given a sense of belonging and worth.

The children don't know (or shouldn't know) that their day with you today is a 'training ground' so they 'perform' well at school.

Three of the main saddest things about my 4 foster children (aged between 6-13 yrs. ) are:

1/ They are described as well mannered, well behaved children, ooh and they can sit still too- truthfully though, we have discovered through 'observation' that in their short lives they have learnt to 'conform'. They are unable to think for themselves, asking for continuous 'permission' for everything they do. Are unconfident in thinking for themselves on basic everyday tasks/activities, and constantly ask for 'instruction' :o

2/ My 10 yr olds learning disability needs have not been met, due to lack of ongoing assessment (observation) of achievement and difficulties (only just got a statement-PSCN), the older two are behind academically because of missed educational opportunities, including not attending preschool.

3/ They don't know how to play and have fun, we are having to 'teach' them what I believe is a child's right. xD

The EYFS does not require us to 'prepare' children for school or to write reams of observations. It states paperwork should be kept minimal. It does require that we know our children, their achievements, interests and to value their 'uniqueness'. To enable them to progress at their own pace.

Sorry to 'go off on one'. The only thing I dislike about change (such as EYFS as a new requirement) is that change makes people unconfident in their own abilities of doing a 'good' job, it makes people uncertain of what is expected of them. The positives of change is that it does make us review our practice, but let's not let 'change' make us tear apart or diminish our professionalism, experience and knowledge. Let the children and parents be the judges of what we provide for them, and in return they will be your evidence for the inspectors. If they are happy and doing well then the evidence will be easy to observe (even a joy) and easily recorded (lots to see).

Be judged for today, not for next year, next term or even tomorrow.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Have the CWDC contacted you yet- Steve and Helen?

Sorry Peggy, did not mean to offend. I understand where you and Steve are coming from about us not being political but surely we can start a thread directly to them and saying this may not be all the views of forum members but we need somewhere to post. I have just had another idea!!!!Back to CWDC.......

I still think WE are the agents of change. As the CWDC have said to me They need/want our views now as policy is being born and they have the ears of government. They are an independant body and concerned with the Childrens Workforce and its future. Anyone agree? I think since they launched things have changed so much.

Have the CWDC contacted you yet- Steve and Helen?

Steve is away just at the moment but he had certainly heard nothing from them just before he went away. I am sure once he is back he will respond to you himself. :o

EYFS not expecting reams of observations ? dorset have come up with an 'all about me' assessment record which is 78 pages long ! and now plannng needs to be more informed from observations and 'look, listen, note' rather than topics/themes we seem to have even more paperwork than before. :o

Quality assurance audit went ok.....committee need to be aware of their roles/responsibilities, staff need to access phase one phonics training (though having spoken to other settings they said it was a waste of time) 'sounds and letters' have some really good ideas for delivering this, offered to show them our last 7 weeks planning of the last year showing how we'd covered this, but not interested.

anyone else had theirs yet ?

and now plannng needs to be more informed from observations and 'look, listen, note' rather than topics/themes we seem to have even more paperwork than before. xD

Actually we have found that when planning from children's interests there is less paperwork - and what we do generate (parent surveys, notes of emerging interests) contributes to the children's observation record which only helps us build a better picture of children's learning and development. Also it takes less time to actually do the planning: once you take the child's interests and abilities as your starting point it is much easier to identify activities/experiences to support their learning. Gone are the days of desperately trying to find something that will deliver 'learning' about an obscure topic or one that you're bored with because you've done it each November for the past six years! And also gone are the days of being frustrated that few of the children are actually interested in doing what you have planned - especially if you've spent ages the night before cutting out and preparing. :o

Maz

anyone else had theirs yet ?

We've got a SEF visit during the first week of November. Should be interesting seen as I'm still ploughing through the 30 pages of empty boxes!! :(

I've been told that they have split the audit into two halves and they will visit us twice over the next year or two, once for a SEF visit and once for an EYFS visit.

As for our planning, we're beginning to see light at the end of a tunnel. It was hard going to begin with, the new format needed tweaking to fit in with what we do here. However, my staff have worked really hard to implement this change and it's great to see that they know so much about their individual key children's likes, interests and most of all development. I think the EYFS is a great change and although it initially brought in more work for us, we're now seeing how well it actually works, how it's benefiting our children and also how it's bringing the team together in developing an environment that is rich and exciting for the children.

Now I've just got to crack the SEF! :oxD

Edited by NickyR

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)