Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eprofile In Nursery?

Hi,

is the e profile the new type of profile that is starting in september. i have not had chance to read all thepaperwork given to me. is the e profile in place of the foundation stage profile that we currently do in nursery through to reception with the early learning goals. There seems to be so much more paperwork to do with the new eyfs. I did not go on the course the teachers did and i have just been given the folders to read through, but not got that far yet!

What are your views on the new eyfs, i work in nursery in a primary school thanks x

:o

Hi there

Came across this one myself in Wiltshire. We were looking at using the e-profile in our pre-school as a way of forwarding our records to school. We spoke to our Early Years Leading Teacher who was horrified!! Basically have been told that the e-profile is for reception use only - for the end of the EYFS. We are not using anything to mark off progress against. Instead will be using the development matters to annotate the next steps planning and to complete a transfer record at the end of pre-school.

Hope this helps :o

Ye thats what i thought it was for reception but my head (who is a very keystage 2 head and hasnt the foggiest about fs) wanted the whole foundation stage to use it as gives such great data analysis but dont think its possible in nursery. We have been using the lea hillingdon profile but as of september they have brought out a new eyfs progress portfolio which is basically the same as the profile we have been using just slightly reworded and under the age brackets in eyfs e.g. 26-40 30-50 40 60 months (or what ever they are) and early learnign goals it has the stepping stones and early learning goals and we highlight when it has been achieved

the eprofile is an electronic version but just has the foundation stage profile points 1-9 for each area as far as i am aware this has been updated so now to matches the statement points for each area in eyfs

This year we have been using progress towards the profile in our nursery which seems verys simlar to assessments for reception prior to the e profile. I though they were developing or we should have an eyfs profile? anyone know ?

The eprofile is the electronic version of the profile which is the assessment for Reception and is statutory. With the change to EYFS the profile will be renamed but is essentially unchanged although a new handbook has just been published with new examples of attainment.

The paper booklets were always optional and I think have now been discontinued and all other methods of recording assessments are possible. The final scores have to be reported to the LEA each July.

I believe Birmingham have been trialling a nursery profile.

• 2 months later...

To log onto the eprofile you need your DfES number and LEA number

then you need individual children's URN which they are given when they start school - so if you are just a preschool you won't have these.

Also - you have to key in the DOB of the year group and it doesn't allow for children under statutory school age

(well, that's what I found anyway)

I believe Birmingham have been trialling a nursery profile.

Yes they did Susan. But I've not heard anything since last year. I hope they arent used judging by the people who I saw using it. It was very tick listy.

As I understand it, Birmingham Schools IT Support have been working on a version of the Early Years Profile for use directly in the management system used in may schools (called CMIS) - the idea is to be able to follow the progress of a pupil from the time they first enter nursery education until they leave school all together!

The new version of eProfile (called eyeProfile) does (according to the documentation) allow the recording of data across 2 complete years, rather than the one (+ a term) in the previous version, so you could, theoretically, start recording at the start of the nursery year for the end of Foundation Stage in 2010.

Regards

John R

I had a briefing regarding the eye profile version 3 on friday, and yes it is possible to record data across a 2 year period so in theory nursery and pre school data can be added.

This raised questions from some attending about consistency across settings and other providers and also the fact that this gives additional work for nursery and / or pre school staff to do.

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...
As I understand it, Birmingham Schools IT Support have been working on a version of the Early Years Profile for use directly in the management system used in may schools (called CMIS) - the idea is to be able to follow the progress of a pupil from the time they first enter nursery education until they leave school all together!

The new version of eProfile (called eyeProfile) does (according to the documentation) allow the recording of data across 2 complete years, rather than the one (+ a term) in the previous version, so you could, theoretically, start recording at the start of the nursery year for the end of Foundation Stage in 2010.

Regards

John R

Sorry to sound dim, but I thought the whole idea of EYFS was NOT to have a tick sheet of accomplishment as each child was a unique little person. The EYFS profile is only statutory for the final term of Reception and should be completed by 30th June (that's in the guidance). By doing this aren't we just repeating what we've been doing for the past 8 years or so - EYFS was truely supposed to change all that as reflected in the idea of a learning journey from birth to five - planning for the individual - enabling environemnts and a balance on indoor/outdoor play, which is new for many schools with nursery classes (maybe not so much for some PVI). Once again we are tying ourselves up in knots over assessment, when in fact observation, evaluation and planning are key.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! The school never wanted us to complete a FSP either so why would they be interested in an eyeprofile anyway? Too much paperwork already - we don't need any more!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! The school never wanted us to complete a FSP either so why would they be interested in an eyeprofile anyway? Too much paperwork already - we don't need any more!

Completing the profile booklet wasn't mandatory - but reporting the data was/is. If you don't use the booklet or the ey-eprofile how do you record the child's achievements at the end of their profile year? Presumably if that system is up and running you'll just continue to use it? No need to re-invent the wheel, I would have thought!

Maz

Well absolutely HappyMaz - good morning!

We have our own recording booklets - which the school aren't interested in at all so these go to parents. School get a reduced 'report of ELGs' which they prefer - but presumably don't look at either! School also gets a copy of my excel file showing the cohort of children's progress shown against each other so they can see which children in the peer group are high flyers in a particular area and where we have identified a 'shortfall' in a particular child

Well absolutely HappyMaz - good morning!

Good afternoon!

So I can guess you could join hali's "why do I do all this work when school don't seem to be interested?" group then Cait?? :o

Your recording systems sound very comprehensive - and its obviously working. How large is your cohort, typically?

We have about a dozen typically in each 'Reception minus one', 'R-2' and 'R-3' but this year only 8 in R-1 and 15 in R-2! It's actually a really useful tool - I can send you an old one if you like as soon as I can get into the study! Builders still here hammering and ripping plasterboard off - although today it's more putting fresh board on and the place feels warmer already!

Yes, If Hali experiences the same ennui from her school we aught to start a group! They actually had the brass face to tell me one year that they never look at them as they like to form their own opinions of children!!! Well yeah, to an extent, but they need to take account of what's already been achieved the 'value added' that schools love to quote!

I am going on eye profile training next week and I personally like the paper profile booklets,

we have a printed one for all the children from when they start in the unit and it goes through up till they leave reception.

Untill now we only ever move the data into the e profile for reception children,.

Depending which authority you are in determines when you have to enter data(I know it says you only have to put in the data in june )but kirklees want the data in and you get reminded.

Our entry data gets sent next week and I also agree that it should as then its a true reflection and if the children havnt moved on this will show in june.

if you dont enter data untill june and some children havnt moved on say at least 3 profile points then whats to stop staff(non from this forum)putting their initial score as lower than it was. :o

It is just my view xD

if you dont enter data untill june and some children havnt moved on say at least 3 profile points then whats to stop staff(non from this forum)putting their initial score as lower than it was. :o

It is just my view xD

There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy cynicism, in my view! :(

Maz

We have about a dozen typically in each 'Reception minus one', 'R-2' and 'R-3' but this year only 8 in R-1 and 15 in R-2!

We have three points of entry into school in our Borough and all but one of the schools we feed take rising fives so we rarely have to report profile data to the LA. This term we have two leaving who will need a Profile, and once again none will finish their Profile year with us. Would love to see your spreadsheet though!

Thank you for my new favourite word - 'ennui' has replaced 'blimey' for now. Although I can't imagine I'll have much use for it in chat if anyone's in there later! :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)