Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Get Parental Permission To Pass On Reports?

Just wondering.. cos I've heard a few diferent opinions lately. Do you ask parental permission to pass on a copy of their child's report or other information to their new setting/school/nursery?

Do you have a meeting with the child's new teacher and are you allowed to discuss the children with them?

Thanks for any replies.

x

At the moment we don't pass on reports to the schools but direct to parents, with the suggestion that they share it with the teacher.

I do have a meeting with the teacher of our local school prior to her 'new parents' meetings and for that I get written permission to share information.

We have just incorporated a 'consent to share information with other settings including school' question on our registration form so hopefully that covers us.

Rachel

I would think that with the EYFS requirement to work with other settings, that permissions for transfer and sharing of information with other professionals would be something to impliment if not already in place. :o

I don't see any reason why parents wuld object to this.

Peggy

We complete the records of transfer for the children, which we then get signed by the parents giving us permission to pass this information on. But what I wanted to know is do you all keep a copy of the record? In my last setting we sent a copy of the report on to the school and gave parents a copy. But at my new setting they keep a copy for their archives aswell - which I find an unnecessary waste of space and paper. Surely once we've passed it on we're not going to look it up in five years time.

We complete the records of transfer for the children, which we then get signed by the parents giving us permission to pass this information on. But what I wanted to know is do you all keep a copy of the record? In my last setting we sent a copy of the report on to the school and gave parents a copy. But at my new setting they keep a copy for their archives aswell - which I find an unnecessary waste of space and paper. Surely once we've passed it on we're not going to look it up in five years time.

We keep copies of the records - I don't have the Daycare Standards at home, but there was specific mention in there. Under EYFS, page 40 of the Statutory Framework says

REcords relating to individual children should be retained for a reasonable period of time (for example 3 years) after the chil;dren have left the provision.

Now, it isn't a 'must'. But our LEA have always told us we have to keep the copies, and under the daycare standards, there was no time, so we were advised 8 years. Ways to help keep the paperwork in setting down are to scan to disc, or have the records stored at your LEA archives.

Our funding form tells parents the obs will go to the next setting, as does our application form (of course, that's specific to our setting, the funding form is for our whole LEA). We do send copies of B-3 on as well, the parents are told that's what happens.

We're not sure how it will work with the Learning Journey - I assume that will still need to go on to the next setting, but think parents will want a copy. I've suggested to the committee we look into charging a nominal amount to cover the cost of colour copying & paper (50p?).

I thought the bit about keeping records applied to the records of their personal information - registration forms etc.

For the records that go to school, we do keep a copy of the permission slip and send the original to the school so that they know parents have agreed that they see them.

I used to keep an electronic copy ie: on a CD, which I have used for Ofsted Inspection as evidence of planning enabling childrens attainment when I knew I was due an Inspection in Autumn Term, plus as evidence for parent communication as parents would also add comments, I also used the reports to reflect on prior planning as they can show areas of the curriculum that have been less 'impacted on' (for want of a better phrase) ie: one year we noticed that calculation was a weak area, and so actioned some workshops on this subject for the staff. :o

Mind you an end of term SEF could evidence this reflection.

Peggy

I thought the bit about keeping records applied to the records of their personal information - registration forms etc.

For the records that go to school, we do keep a copy of the permission slip and send the original to the school so that they know parents have agreed that they see them.

We keep those too, but our LEA say it's obs as well. (Wish it were just registratiion forms etc, wouldn't have so much stuff to keep!)

I keep copies of registration details ect

- at present we have no recognised format like transfer documents to pass to schools. We work closely with the schools they come in, and we obtain parental permission to share information during these visits.

When a child leaves us I pass on all 'personal' bits such as development records, obs etc and we recommend they pass them on to schools.

the data protection act clearly states - only 'relevant information' should be stored etc therefore we keep only what is 100% necessary - the rest is given directly to parents to dispose of as they wish.

I fully understand what Peggy says about evidence of how we work - but I cover that with statements/aims and would show examples of current practice, also we may have the odd example or two of different methods of evidence.

xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)