Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Other Languages

Does anyone know any websites that have simple words such as days of the week, number names, hello etc - need them translating in french, urdu, arabic, chinese polish. Thank you

Babel Fish does European languages, and if you Google for sites translating English to Urdu or Chinese, for example, there are quite a few that can do this. Isn't the web wonderful and however did we manage before!

If you have spare money (I know, how often do we in childcare have spare money!), you could look at MantraLingua. They do books & resources in many languages, what we're currnetly wanting are some of thier posters: Days of the week Numbers and more.

If you need resources because you're in a setting with lots of children & parents/carers with other languages, they're very useful; if you want them to show diversity, they could be a little pricy to get lots of stuff. I've found some of their books for schools in our library - we found 1 very useful. It's a book in English & 1 other language (we had Portuguese) giving words & phrases in English, the other language & the pronouciation for the words. It gave days of the week, times, hnady phrases to use with parents, etc.

Do you have any support from an Inclusion Team at your LEA?

I've just been looking at woolly's suggestion for customisable role play signs from another thread and noticed Google do a translation service.

When you get to Google, click on 'more' and then 'even more' and go down to translation. You can put in a key phrase, choose what language you want to translate from, and to by using drop down boxes and click on 'translate' and away you go!

Never even knew it was there - so thank you, Woolly!

Maz

I bought a board book at the Ed show 'My first Arabic alphabet book' Iman publishing. It reads from right to left and has the Arabic writing for each letter with the sound written on each page.

I used to buy Arabic newspapers too.

• 7 months later...

Personally I wouldn't use it in this way, as you can't be sure exactly what it might say! You really need someone who can write both languages for any official forms.

If you want to while away a few moments then play the translating game - type in a phrase to translate and then translate back. Sometimes it can come up with hilarious results. :o

Guest MaryEMac

We enrolled a child from the Czech Republic and a teacher friend sugested this site. www.newburypark.redbridge.sch.uk ( sorry can't do a link) Then click on Language of the Month. You can then find the language that you want and it will show a video of a child saying a list of words. That way you know how to pronounce them.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)