Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Professional Development Records

Hi,

As an authority, we were discussing the possibility of issuing every practitioner with a professional development booklet, into which they could record the training events that they have attended: a bit like a passport, if you like. Trainers could put in stickers and a signature at the end of the event, and the practitioner would then have an up to date record to take to job interviews, etc. At the moment, our LA issues certificates for each event and training session attended, which some practitioners make into booklets themselves.

What do other people do?

Ours too issues a certificate for everything... my file is getting a bit big now and a more manageable way of recording would be helpful. but in many cases it would have to be suitable for copying by the employer to keep in employee records to show that the person is deemed 'suitable' (how I hate that phrase!!) would a booklet and stamps work for this?

Many of our staff just put it into our files these days and will take them when they leave.

Inge

We have certificates as well. A booklet would be more manageable plus a more cost effective way of showing attendance. Maybe the settings could photocopy the page for their records or even a signed declaration from the supervisor/mananger.

Devon provided Professional Portfolios back in 2002. These were lever arch files with various sections for putting in certificates and for identifying training needs etc. As a Supervisor, I went on a training course with my committee Chair for 'Managing the Professional portfolio'. They were a great idea but in practice we never seemed to have time to use them. I haven't worked in childcare for over a year now and I can't find mine so sorry I can't give you any more details.

Guest roopal

we have certificates issued by the training provider too and as a setting we have a training plan for each staff member which records planned and completed training events. I like the idea of a booklet; it sounds neater - presumably pages could be photocopied as easily as the current certificates?

Our CPD co ordinator keeps a record of courses attended. As individuals we rarely get anything to keep occasionally a certificate if it is a Sure Start course. I've been on 8 or 9 courses (plus EYFS training) since September and have one certificate to show for it. Now where did I leave it? :o

Books are a great idea but it does rely quite heavily on the practitioner remembering tot take it on their course with them. Realistically how many of us have forgotten to take soemthing along to a course we have been on (it cant eb just me surely?)

does sound like a good idea but i see where your coming from Mundia!

i get sick of certificates arriving in the post photocopying them for staff files - updating training list - ummmm another job to delegate i think! :o

Kent issued a lever arch file portfolio similar to the one Suzanne describes. It was very professional looking with tabs indicating the LEA planned courses for the year. The idea was that the portfolio remained in the setting, the staff member who attended the training would place any handouts, normally reams of powerpoint printouts :o , but sometimes useful information / references to further info etc. This information was then available for other staff who had not attended the training to look at. I, like Hali would photocopy certificates of attendence and place the copy in the relevant section, giving the original to the staff for own CV records. There was also blank pages to record on one sheet who had attended what training which was useful for looking at at a glance.

Unfortunately, I have had a busy day today continuing to sort out my office and actually binned the said portfolio, otherwise I could have sent it to you to look at. :(

What I liked about it was that all staff's training records was in one place, and it was a useful resource to look back on. I also got staff to do a quick summary of their training day at the next staff meeting so that 1/ it helped them to reflect and reconsider what they had learnt, and 2/ It helped to discuss with all staff, one for their benefit but also it helped the staff who had done the training to feel more part of the team by having the opportunity to disseminate information to others, rather than it always coming from me all the time. xD

Good luck with your project, I am sure you will devise something brilliant and user friendly. :(

Peggy

My hubby is Corgi registered. He has a card with all the things he's qualified to do printed on the back. A bit like your driving licience.

Probably not a very practical idea but it could include updates of CRB, 1st aid, CP etc every year or 3.

We have a training passport that each staff member has and is signed and stamped at each training session that staff attend. This was introduced a while ago to save on the logistics of sorting out certificates and sending them out to everyone

We have a Practitioner's Passport to Learning which was introduced in 2002. It's much better that the certificates we used to get.

Anita