Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health And Hygiene

OK so this might seem an odd question...

How many of you have two mops: one for everyday spills and one for use when mopping up after toileting accidents?

We're a little divided in the team. Some of us feel we sould have two mops for the two different uses and others feel that so long as the appropriate cleaner is used and the mophead is thoroughly rinsed between uses, its fine to have one mop.

Has anyone been on any recent health and safety training and could perhaps give me some advice before my head explodes? :o

Thanks!

Maz

haven't done any recent training i must say but we have a only one mop, but we only use it for everyday spillages and any other is cleaned with disinfectant and paper towels.

not much help sorry

We use 4 colours for mops and cloths:

RED - Kitchen / Dining Areas

BLUE - Messy activities / Paint etc

YELLOW - Toilets / Nappy Rooms

GREEN - Bodily Fluids (sick etc)

This may seem excessive to others but we are a large day nursery (90 chn) so need to ensure there is absolutely no cross infection.

This method was highlighted in our Ofsted inspection, although not sure what the actual requirement is.

We have two mops.

One for bodily fluids :o and the other for everyday spills of water, milk etc. xD

The bodily fluids one is kept in the toilet area and the other in the cleaning cupboard.

TWO

one for general use in nursery-paint, water tray etc

one for bodily fluids and cleaning the toilets between sessions-kept in disabled toilet (un-used at present)

suitable cleansing products in each.Cleaner brings her own for general floor mopping at the end of the day

Edited by Guest

We have two mops, one for clearing spills and one for toilet related clearing.

Lucy P, where do you get your coloured mops from?? And can you get appropriate coloured buckets too?? How cool. I want some!!!

we have three mops one for spills one for toilets and always a new back up one, we also have blue cloths for tables (messy) green for tables (milktime), and yellow for floors. :o

Yes the buckets colour correspond with the mop heads and handles too.

We buy them from GLS and can be found here

(go nearly to the bottom of the page)

The mop heads are machine washable which is great too!

Yep! We have 2 too...... one for everyday spills, the other for bodily fluids etc. We put them through the laundry regularly too (that's the parent rota responsibility!!!).

again two..washable head for toilet one

Our one for everyday spillages such as from water tray has a handle that can be made smaller and the children can mop up their own spills, we have a few who regularly notice others spilling and will mop up after them too!

Inge

Edited by Inge

Love the avatar Inge - point me towards where you found it!!! I'm going to change my avatar back to my old one if I can find it..... just for a laugh as its very topical!!!

What do you think??? xD:(:(:(

The problem about avatar discussions is that it changes in all your previous posts - so there I was busily admiring your fantastic new avatar, thinking how apt it was and wondering what you were going to change it to that would be more apt to the matter under discussion :o

Just brilliant! Do they come in children's sizes?

Maz

Love the avatar Inge - point me towards where you found it!!! I'm going to change my avatar back to my old one if I can find it..... just for a laugh as its very topical!!!

.. found it here Avatars

think it was cartoon section

will we go back to mops now...or should it be shoes...

Inge

We have different mops for the different areas with one specifically for the toilets. This was brought down to us by our cleaner who works for the local school. Partly it is to protect the floor surfaces (one floor reacts badly to specific cleaning solutions) but partly to prevent cross contamination. Unfortunately we have to make do with some coloured tape applied to the mops and buckets to designate them for different areas, but it works.

Always a good idea to have some spill packs too. I have at least 2 of these at any one time just in case. I was reminded of it when I read through the link someone posted on another thread about infectious diseases. See page 6.

infectious_diseases_poster.pdf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)