Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mantle Of The Expert?

Hi

I'm new to the site - have been looking at the post for a few months but not yet posted so here goes! I'm Lesa and a part time reception teacher. I job share with a fantastic teacher and we pride purselves on working well together within our exciting and colourful classroom - but mantle of the expert has just been introed in our school :o and we need to use it next term within our topic of minibeasts - any ideas???? I'm scared silly!!!!!

Thanks Lesa

Found this on Google as I was wondering what 'mantle of the expert' is. Don't know if it helps. There is a section on planning.

www.mantleoftheexpert.com

Sally

Can't help with mantle of expert, but just wanted to welcome you aboard. Well done on your first posting - the first of many I'm sure :o

Hi Lesa

Welcome and congratulations on your first post.

I have just looked at the website and I have to say it all looks very intriguing. Perhaps you could give us an idea of how it works?

Linda

Welcome to the Forum Lesa

I've just followed the link and I also think its very interesting. I'd be interested to hear how Mantle of the Expert makes life different for children compared to their peers whose schools do not use this approach!

What an interesting first post!

Maz

Guest heleng

Hello and welcome,

We have had some training on mantle of the expert in our school. The idea (basically) is to put the children in the position of being an expert on a particular subject and then they lead the learning.

I'm trying to think of an example KS2 has used in our school.

The topic needs to have a purpose (as well as learning objective) for the children to follow. The Friends of our school (PTA) like to hold a summer fair every 2-3 years. The children were told they were going to have their own stalls at the fair to raise class money to pay towards a class treat.

The children came up with a list of things they could have on their stalls, then split into gps with each gp being responsible for a stall. Within each gp they had to have a chair and treasurer, they had to have a gp name and they had to allocate jobs to the other people in their gp. Each company (as they were then known) had to come up with an action plan for how they were going to make their items for selling, an advertising campaign, a budget plan and anything else deemed necessary. They borrowed the money to start up their company, promoted their stall to the rest of the school and parents in various ways and then made the items to sell. We held the summer fair with the children manning their own stalls and selling things they had made. After the fair they counted up their money, repaid their loan (including interest) and evaluated their performance. At the end of the topic (this one was a whole term) the class had earned enough money for the class to go bowling.

The children loved it and came up with some fab names and products. They decided themselves what they needed and went away and did it. The teacher offered advice and ideas and and supported the children with making up their budgets and bits. Some of the gps came round the school and carried out questionnaires asking other children how much they would pay, what variations would they like (for an ice cream stall) and bits like that. It worked really well.

I hope that makes sense, as someone from out of that KS that is what I remember :o

Helen

We have had some training on mantle of the expert in our school. The idea (basically) is to put the children in the position of being an expert on a particular subject and then they lead the learning.

Sounds a really good idea: great for children's self-esteem and confidence when it works really well. I'd love to see an example that has worked well with younger children, if anyone is willing to share!

Maz

Mantle of the Expert is a way of using drama conventions to work with the children. The emphasis is that the children take on roles and solve a problem of some sort, usually over a period of time, and with a good starting point which would lead them to involve all learning areas. A book can be a good starting point with young children, and then developing some aspect of the story.

If you have a look at the Farmer Drama linked to on the home page that would give an idea of how this kind of learning approach can be used with young children.

I went to visit a school in Suffolk where they deliver the whole curriculum through mantle of the expert. It was inspirational and they had been working on it for years. All the staff were on board and the children were just fantastic. Have a look here http://www.bealings.net/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)