Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Contacting Ofsted

I think I am correct in thinking I must contact Ofsted to notify of change of staff? i.e 2 new deputies.......I have a number to call but wondering if their was an e-mail address to use?

Mrsb

When we had a new deputy I rang and told them to be told that we didn't need to inform them.

HOWEVER

following a meeting with our early years advisor she told us that we should tell them as another setting had been given an inadequate because they hadn't informed OFSTED that the deputy had changed, even thought they had but the information had not been passed on.

She recommended writing a letter, keeping a copy and sending it by recorded delivery so that we had proof that we had sent it.

HTH

Laura

Hi

I've just been on a course relating to Standards 1=Suitable Person, 2=Organisation and 14=Documentation. My Early Years Advisor informed me that you only have to inform OFSTED about changes in staff concerning the Manager.

However, my thoughts were that as a Deputy stands in for the Manager surely they should be informed about the Deputy as well. Surely better to be told "we don't need to know" when you call than to get "A Visit" and to then 'fall down' because you didn't inform them.# :o

Our EYA did say to MAKE SURE that you record the details of EVERY conversation you have with OFSTED which should be dated and recorded with the name and SURNAME of who you spoke to when receiving any advice.

Good Luck

Sam

I phoned Ofsted yesterday to ask advice as i am going on holiday in May and my nursery manager will be on maternity leave.

I queried that as i - the suitable person and the named nursery manager would not be around, would i need to inform them of who will be in charge during this period.

They said 'no'

As long as documentation such as operational plan stated what would happen in these circumstances, nothing more needed to be done :o

I sent a letter to Ofsted informing them that, my dep manager was going on maternity leave and who was covering for her and that I had 2 new staff starting

They replied by letter that they dident need to know that. They only needed to know the reg person and the manager by name

I have kept the letter :o

Before I started my new job my supervisor sent a form to Ofsted along with my current CRB check as I was changing from a volunteer to staff. Ofsted sent my CRB back with a letter saying that they didn't need to be informed.

I had just assumed that Ofsted expected to be updated on staff changes.

Sally

hi when I started my new job as a deputy I under go a crb form completion and then I had a medical completed to state I was basiclally fit & healthy for the job! I think its best to inform Ofsted as for me at time I am left in charge so they need to be aware of this because my supervisor had a medical when she got the job as a supervisor from a assistant role.

It also had an impact on how you rsetting works and clearly ensure you maintain a professional approach.

i contacted ofsted to inform them of staff changes and they said they didnt want to know.

i sometimes find ofsted such a pain as when all our committee members changed we wrote to them and

phoned them and they still didnt change it and get it right

it has taken them a year to finally have the right committee members on their records but guess what

they changed at the agm last october and having the same trouble again!!!!!!

what hope have we got if Ofsted cant get it right, but when they come to us for inspection we must have it right!!!!

sorry rant over

• 1 month later...
i contacted ofsted to inform them of staff changes and they said they didnt want to know.

i sometimes find ofsted such a pain as when all our committee members changed we wrote to them and

phoned them and they still didnt change it and get it right

it has taken them a year to finally have the right committee members on their records but guess what

they changed at the agm last october and having the same trouble again!!!!!!

what hope have we got if Ofsted cant get it right, but when they come to us for inspection we must have it right!!!!

sorry rant over

Next month we are going to have our AGM. I have been informed that we are going to have a new committee as the present members are all going to stand down. I was asked the other day about ofsted, can you tell me, is it the job of the old committee to tell them they have stepped down or do the new committee fill in the {DC2?}to inform OFSTED about the new chair and the rest of committee fill in CRB enhanced disclosures. I am not quite sure about the procedure and I want to be able to give the new committee the correct advice.

thanks

Edited by Guest

ALL committee members have to fill in a DC2 form (you can download them from Here)

They then send out the CRB forms to the individual members. we put in a covering letter with the forms about who has left and new members.

Send everything by recorded delivery / to be signed for as we have had lots of problems with them and you can trace who signed for it if needed. Keep records or copies of everything until everyone has been cleared...

we have had all new committee receive letters saying they are not suitable as they did not return CRB forms BUT one did not receive one and others had all returned them, one had received her form beck from CRB clearing her!! Rang Ofsted who said they were on the system as being cleared!! Think wrong letters were sent out but it caused a lot of distress and hassle for everyone...

If in doubt ring Ofsted for guidance.. you will then be able to show you have followed their advice... and keep a record of full name date and time of who you spoke to ...

Inge

Hi well

have to say that we have always contacted Ofsted to cover ourselves either by phone call or by email which has been done by the chairperson of our committee. Good results as we just had our inspection and it was noted as we have been the best in keeping them informed of what has been happening.

So I think its good to let them know all the time. it is noted.

Thanks Inge , so it will be ok to sign the new committees forms and when they are in place the chair can take over and sign any that need doing in the future.

Hi,

DC2's - if you are the person registered by ofsted to sign them then yes you check details and sign them for committee members. I have always been the person as it is so much easier than changing the details every new chairperson.

I contact Ofsted with all changes(whether they want it or not) as when they came for our inspection all the details they had for staff, times, days were incorrect but luckily I had all the correspondace that I had sent them to prove all correct details had been sent, so as well as copying all correspondance, I always send it recorded delivery. My theory is that if you let them know every change, you can't get in any trouble for not letting them know.

Net x

Nice to know that OFSTED don't really want to know what happens, then turn up and give you incorrect details on staff etc But I did read in the amendum (2005) that changes in registed persons and person in charged should be forwared to OFSTED. Ummm are they not following the National Standards then? :o

Beth

We have just had our Ofsted inspection and I had not realised that although I had copies of all the CRB forms, and signed permission to have them in a locked file, I should have noted them all on a separate list i.e. names and reference numbers. I hope this info is useful (or perhaps I am the only one that hadn't realised this!!) :o

Edited by Jan

I agree with not keeping the CRB certificates. We were told they cn be used as a form of identification apparently, so must be kept by the person themselves. We also just keep a list with names, dates of issue and disclosure number on.

Just to add more confusion - an inspector told me I was not allowed to keep copies of CRB checks - data protection.

smiles

We too were told by ofsted not to keep them or copies of them and just list who had got them.

We were told that we must keep a list of all names, issue numbers and issue dates of crb's but not allowed to keep actual forms.

Net x

we too had ofsted in March and my head of centre was told that we did not inform ofsted of changes in staff and could get inadequate for it but she did it as a recomendation instead as she said ashe knows childen centres are new and there is also mishap in communicatyion as to what to should ofsted informed be about /or not

we do have 1 registered person but she maimnly covers our other site, ofsted said we have to inform them if the registered person changes and told us this needs to be the person who is in the building all the time ie. lucky for me its the educare team leader - thats me-

my deputy will inform them after easter and i look forward to a suitable persons interview

any tips - should i be

scared

nervous

anxious

etc etc

so was I and our contact with TMG says same , only for 6 months max and then destroy... not even copies with permission. Hence the need to keep list of those checked etc.

Inge

I am so pleased I have read this thread. I have carried on with the tradition of photocopying CRB'S and filing them away in a confidential file. some of the copies go back quite a way in time. I know now that I have to record these on a sheet and destroy the old copies. If I have contact with some old staff shall I return these or should i just shred them ASAP after recording the details needed.

I feel terrible as it is something I asked the manager about once before and was told to photocopy and file away safely.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

Has anyone got a format they use to record CRB'S I could look at .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)