Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Messy Play

I dont see why not, ive used them before when i used to provide messy play outreach session i just checked for allergies etc and risk assessed just like i would for sand and water.

Have fun

Paula

Hi Bene,

Thanks for your first post, well done!

I think the main problem with playing with food is the contradictory messages that are carried. We encourage children to 'eat up', we bemoan starvation around the world, yet we allow our children to play with and ultimately waste precious foodstuffs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the use of it, it's all good sensory play, you just have to be sensitive to those other considerations. Try using out of date as much as possible - and be prepared to defend yourselves to any irate person!

Sue

Your quite right Sue it does carry some contradicting messages and although we did try to use out of date stuff as much as possible we still had some parents/carers who would make comments and ask why we felt the need to use food.

Welcome also bene, make yourself at home here wont you?

I think SueR has a point, I personally don't really like using food for play, personal thing, spent years in Afrika watching people struggle to find their next meal.

But, at the end of the day, you have to make that decision, based on your own views, feelings, and those of your colleagues.

At work we often use food in our sensory play as we have a lot of children with issues around food be they physical as in difficulty eating certain foods or behavioural (often the children with ASD). For us it is a way to introduce a variety of foods to them in a fun way and if they do pick it up and eat it then good!

Obviously there are other issues about using food, but we have our own reasons at work and stand firmly by them.

Hi Bene,

Thanks for your first post, well done!

I think the main problem with playing with food is the contradictory messages that are carried. We encourage children to 'eat up', we bemoan starvation around the world, yet we allow our children to play with and ultimately waste precious foodstuffs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the use of it, it's all good sensory play, you just have to be sensitive to those other considerations. Try using out of date as much as possible - and be prepared to defend yourselves to any irate person!

Sue

Thank you

That was my views exactly so in a way I still do not know what to do.I have the week end to think about it.

hmmm this is something that I have issues with- we used porridge oats for sensory play and have used jelly and pasta as well but I do feel bad about it for the reason that many countries cannot even afford food let alone play with it- it's a vicious circle.

At work we often use food in our sensory play as we have a lot of children with issues around food be they physical as in difficulty eating certain foods or behavioural (often the children with ASD). For us it is a way to introduce a variety of foods to them in a fun way and if they do pick it up and eat it then good!

Obviously there are other issues about using food, but we have our own reasons at work and stand firmly by them.

Quite, Nich, and I wouldn't dream of taking issue with you or your school. Your decision is founded on solid ground - that's really what I was trying to encourage in others, in case they are ever challenged.

Thought I would jump in on this one and ask for some more advice. I was actually considering using spaghetti sometime soon as we have one little lid who we will have to provide lots of sensory activities to keep him out of trouble. The other day we turned our backs for a minute in which time he covered himself in paint (face/hair no half measures!) as well as all of the bathroom mirror!!

I need sensory play for this little one but I also have a girl who has severe eczma, so I need things which will not aggravate her condition. We obviously then cannot have bubbly water etc etc. Was thinking about trying ecover or surcare stuff. Would love to use soap flakes but obviously this would prove difficult.

This is why I thought rice/spaghetti might hit the button.

Anybody got any ideas?

we had a child with allergies and had to be careful about products and what oils products may have been in contact use with them. I tend to personally try to kep away from food for the reasons stated above we use gelli baf etc

The issue of food is also about the mixed messages we give to the children. I saw some children being encouraged to play with weetabix and shredded wheat. Staff laughed when they ate it and showed them how to crunch it in their fingers, crumbling and mushing.

At lunch time a little lad mushed his potatoes with his fingers and was told 'No. Thats not nice, eat your dinner'.

The baby room I was at recently used custard for the babies to play with and while I understand the thoughts around playing with food, some times there can be reasons, such as not wanting the babies to eat paint.

For allegies it can sometimes be a hit and miss experiment. My sons exzema is agrevated by various things and at random times, recently by orange juice, which used to be OK. So I would ask each parent about each product every time I use it.

Thanks Sue, always good to be endorsed by someone who knows what they are on about.

(Read blog for more info) :o

Forgot to say, what about shredded paper in the water tray, you can add a bit of PVA too.

we often use cooked spagetti for sensory play or to create art work with (add a spodge of paint and mix in, then drop it on paper, repeat with other colours and you get a great effect). We sometimes have rice to create pictures with, spilt peas to pour with and jelly to explore and describe.

I agree with the comments regarding waste and mixed messages but i also think that if you are careful and use eg out of date stuff or packets which have been opened for to long then i feel it is ok to use every now and again. The learning and fun every one gets from such activties is endless. I have staff who love to play with the cornflour and water!! Now theres a point how much water do we get through in the water tray and throw away with out even thinking about it? hmm.... ever thought about it? or just thought about the learning opportunties gained from it?

I need to address the drink and food waste at the snack bar more than what i put in the trays for play.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)