Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reduction For Staff's Children

Have you offered a reduction for other staff's or previous staff's children? - equal opps

Could this be deemed as a taxable benefit? - hidden income/benefit/PAYE

Is the staff member claiming working family tax credit / childcare allowance? - already has support for fees.

Can the setting afford the place at a reduced rate?

Wish I could give a yes/no answer but life is never that simple :o

Peggy

This is the first time we've had this situation. You raise some good issues Peggy. I had a chat with a lady at a course and she got about £5 off her child's fees.

She doesn't actually have to bring her child as she goes to her village pre-school and granny takes care of her so in some ways should a reduction be offered? :o

Oh dear, so many things to think about

We used to give committee a reduction but I was told that this could be seen as a wage if it was over 99p. This was years ago so I dont know if it was, or is true, but I'd seek advice first. :o

Having said that, I think my friends nursery gives a reduction to its staff, but it not much

I'm almost certain a colleague of mine did not receive a discount when her child attended our group some years ago.

This has got me thinking. I'm trying to think why a member of staff's child should receive a discount. Do we offer other staff perks? Would this be fair under our equal opportunities policy?

On balance I think I would find it hard to justify this to other parents, but then I guess if you work for Tesco or John Lewis you would receive staff discount as a perk in which case should it be treated as such with the inland revenue.

Interesting to see what others do. Very thought provoking :o .

Just thought I'd add that my own daughter paid preschool fees in full for her son, my grandson. She did claim WFTC and childcare costs from them too. It really depends on how you want to run your business, I don't think it's wrong to give staff perks but be careful of equal opps as previously mentioned and ensure that everything is transparent, consistent for everyone and doesn't compromise legal employer responsibilities.

Peggy

Hi

I agree with peggy.

I started my new career when I was told that I am great with kids and both my children use to attend at same setting as I worked however, I always paid my way the same as any other parents especially those who struggled and managed to pay.

I understand as employees what you want to do but you do need to be careful as sometimes it can go wrong if staff decide to leave or dismissal in any way, the responsibility may cause lots of confusion and more future problems. Maybe you really need to check it out whether it would be pracitical.

ARe you a non profit making setting? can you afford this? As I know in the setting I attended I helped and worked with them but it was voluntary and I still paid..

You need to asked yourself thesequestions and if you can do then great. Good luck whatever you decide.

I have always paid for my own children's sessions in both settings I worked in....one being a self-funding playgroup the other a creche at the local leisure centre. Never had to consider this at our setting yet but don't think we would give discounts.

Guest MaryEMac

We have never given a staff discount but if any parent has two children at playgroup at the same time and neither are funded the youngest gets a discount. This obviously stops when one of them becomes funded. Since the funding we haven't had to do this very often but we have twins starting next year.

Mary

hmmmm, a really thought provoking thread...

we give 20% discount as soon as staff start, 30% after a year 40% after two years and 50% after three years, it does not rise abve 50% if staff are there longer than three years...

Dawn

I must be working at the wrong place as I do not receive a discount for my son!

As a charitable organisation I would not expect to, but it would have been great if I had been given a reduction.

Another query, if you had volunteers would you then give a discount for their children?

I work in a sessional pre-school and all staff whose children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews etc attended have always paid the fees in full. We are a non-profit organisation and keep are fees as low as possible to benefit the local community.

Karrie

hmmmm, a really thought provoking thread...

we give 20% discount as soon as staff start, 30% after a year 40% after two years and 50% after three years, it does not rise abve 50% if staff are there longer than three years...

Dawn

Gosh! :o

Maz

On balance I think I would find it hard to justify this to other parents, but then I guess if you work for Tesco or John Lewis you would receive staff discount as a perk in which case should it be treated as such with the inland revenue.

Interesting to see what others do. Very thought provoking xD .

Thinking about my previous comment, an incentive or reward scheme with Tesco or John Lewis would at least be open to all employees not just those with young children attending the group. :o

Thinking about my previous comment, an incentive or reward scheme with Tesco or John Lewis would at least be open to all employees not just those with young children attending the group. xD

It certainly gets you thinking, doesn't it Deb?

I wonder if staff who work for the big nursery chains who have their own nursery voucher scheme can access the scheme as part of their employment and use them to offset the cost of care for their children when they attend the same nursery? Or is that just too tortuous a line of thought to follow to its natural conclusion? :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)