Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Level Three Certificate In Eyfs

HI

Our local college, in conjunction with children and families is offering the level three cerificate in EYFS. it looks really exciting. Myself and my senior nursery officer are doing it. just wondered if anyone else was doing it. we start college end of january or early feb (4 hours a week on a tuesday night)... feeling strangely excited LOL

Dawn

Sounds interesting not heard of this course at all how long does it last for?

Hi,

it lasts for three terms, so pretty much a college year.

Dawn

Guest Wolfie

I saw it advertised in one of the early years magazines and found out more about it on the Cache site - I'm hoping to persuade our Children's Centre to fund all our level 3s to do it if possible, I think it'll be of more use than the local training. I believe it's equivalent to one module/unit of a level 3 award but I may be wrong!

Please don't all throw bricks at me, but I can't see how you could possibly need three terms, or a qualification, to look at the EYFS!

It all seems to be just about how we work presently, with some tweaking of documentation, to take account of heading changes.

Sue, slinking quietly away.........

Guest Wolfie

It's definitely a Level 3 certificate, I'm not sure whether you have to have a Level 3 qualification already in order to do it. I spoke to a very helpful person at Cache today, who then emailed me the candidate handbook for the course - it contains all the information you'll need.

Hopefully I've attached it??

EYFS_Handbook_2007.pdf

Edited by Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I know exactly what you mean Sue - I'm looking at it as a possible professional development opportunity for some of the staff - both nursery and outreach - in our Centre if they facny doing a bit of formal study again. :o

OK, thanks for that Wolfie - it looks to me more like a bit of a name change for the old Level 3 that was replaced by the new one....!! Rather than a course specifically for the EYFS itself? I'll have to spend more time looking through it!

Sue

Thanks for that Wolfie - looks like a really comprehensive course. Wonder if it is intended to replace the DPP? I would really like to teach/assess this course - and have only had a quick flick through!

Peggy - I'd be interested to see whether its something you'd like to get involved with. Sounds right up your alley!

Sue - I think this is much more than just about the EYFS. I haven't had time to have a good look at it but it goes into some depth about the underpinning knowledge and principles of early education and obviously by the end of the course the candidate would have a really in depth knowledge of the EYFS too!

What I really like about it is that there is a mixed model of assessment - reflective task (a written essay) assessor observation of practice, a walk and talk (which I gather is where the candidate literally walks around the setting and gives a verbal 'presentation' about a given topic or course criteria). This is much better than the old assignment writing assessment - we all know people who can write a good assignment but whose practice leaves much to be desired (or who can't talk to parents or has little empathy with children, etc etc).

This method of assessing candidate's competencies offers more scope to see the whole picture and not just what their academic skills are...

Maz

Had a quick scan and noticed this on page ix of the contents :-

It is saying that it is not a full Level 3 qualification.

Progression from this qualification

This is not a full Level 3 qualification; however, it will update the existing knowledge and

experience held by practitioners who already have a recognised Level 3 qualification. It may

also be a valuable route of professional development for practitioners at different levels. For

example, practitioners with a Level 2 qualification may wish to take the CACHE Level 3

Certificate in Early Years Foundation Stage Practice to enhance their professional practice

before moving on to a full Level 3 qualification.

Sue

Maz. you really do know me don't you :o , yes this certainly took my interest, but I've had to put it to my favourites folder to look at later because although I've closed the preschool in December I'm still doing preschool work, attended a TAC meeting today, have a SENCO meeting tomorrow plus the dreaded end of year accounts blah, blah, blah, HOWEVER, when the preschool work is completely finished I think the course sounds like an inevitable evolvement for training providers to offer in place of current FSC focused level 3's. Thanks for your critique of the content, really does sound good. I haven't read the PDF yet but agree with Sue that if already a level 3 person then adaption to EYFS should be quite straight forward without the need to do this level of study, but for maybe level 2 people wanting to progress to level 3 then this course sounds ideal.

Although I've finished my preschool I still want to 'keep up to date' with the EYFS which will be difficult as I will not be doing it 'in practice' so I shall certainly look at this alongside te actual EYFS documents and maybe, you never know, seek to find out if I can tutor this course in the future.

Feeling quite liberated and excited about the EYFS change now, maybe because I haven't got the pressure to actually impliment it alongside all the other pressures of running a business, so for me, change is actually becoming a 'breath of fresh air' rather than a challenge. xD

Peggy

You voiced my thoughts Sue when I first saw this thread. I've just read parts of the attachment and still think that, while it can be valuable to revisit some areas, (afterall, I did some of the DPP twice) I do think that it might be like telling your granny how to suck eggs in some ways.

I would find it personnaly useful if tutoring became a regular thing because the course I'm down for has to be linked to the EYFS, but as I dont have a regular setting I doubt it would happen.

But after saying all that, its still down to personal choice and I can see how it would offer a lot to people who are new to early years.

So there's me on the fence basically :o

I was discussing this with my colleague (elle) today and we both agreed it was a nother 'jumping through hoops' thing.

I have considered doing it though, (all the LEA courses are full- what a surprise) its not a full level 3 and you must have a level 3 qualification first before doing it.

edited to say- just re read this you don't have to have level 3 anyway you can work up to it from level 2

Edited by Jester

ooops I hadn't read jester comment, need a level 3 first before doing it.......I wonder why a level 2 with experience following qualification couldn't do it?

Peggy

What I really like about it is that there is a mixed model of assessment - reflective task (a written essay) assessor observation of practice, a walk and talk (which I gather is where the candidate literally walks around the setting and gives a verbal 'presentation' about a given topic or course criteria). This is much better than the old assignment writing assessment - we all know people who can write a good assignment but whose practice leaves much to be desired (or who can't talk to parents or has little empathy with children, etc etc).

I agree with you Maz its a good way to assess students- as you say sooo many people can do the academic side of it but struggle in the realism of the profession.

The certificate is suitable for EY practitioners who will be implimenting the EYFS. It is appropriate for those who already have a recognised level 3 qualification who may wish to update their skills. Other practitioners at different levels may also find the certificate is suitable for them but must recognise this is not a full level 3 qualification.

There are no formal entry requirements but some assessments will require the candidate to be working with children in a regulated setting.

The above was from the link Marion posted yesterday.

ooops I hadn't read jester comment, need a level 3 first before doing it.......I wonder why a level 2 with experience following qualification couldn't do it?

Peggy

Sorry I did edit my post I got this sightly wrong when I read the info on the course.

I agree with you Maz its a good way to assess students- as you say sooo many people can do the academic side of it but struggle in the realism of the profession.

They've missed a trick here though: it would be a powerful qualification if it were to combine the EYFS with the DPP. I'm not sure that I would be tempted to do it after a DPP, and nor would I be interested if I was a level 2 hoping to do a level 3. I'm going to have a good long read and see what I think - have already sent a text to my chum who works for my local college to see if they're going to offer it... :o

Perhaps I'll take the course myself when my degree is over - it would be a little light relief (and just think of the class discussions we could have :))

Maz

That was what I meant in my second comment, Happymaz! Sorry, very long few weeks, and no let up in sight (YES, all over christmas and new year, with extra hours)

Sue

Missed that post Sue! Must have been carried away by the excitement of it all!

Maz

They've missed a trick here though: it would be a powerful qualification if it were to combine the EYFS with the DPP. I'm not sure that I would be tempted to do it after a DPP, and nor would I be interested if I was a level 2 hoping to do a level 3. I'm going to have a good long read and see what I think - have already sent a text to my chum who works for my local college to see if they're going to offer it... :(

Perhaps I'll take the course myself when my degree is over - it would be a little light relief (and just think of the class discussions we could have :))

Maz

Are you mad? hell aren't you doing enough with doing a degree?! :o:(

It would very good if it were combined with a DPP, I can't see many level 2s wanting to do that only to have to do the level 3 anyway to make it up to a full level 3 xD

commenting without any knowledge of the content, but maybe a level 2 person could do it and then get APL with experience to go straight on to the foundation degree? :o

I went from a PPA introductory course, some experience straight into the ADCE (which at the time taken was at level 4) :(

You never know eh?

I think that all level 3 courses (NVQ / DPP etc) should now have redesigned their content to take into acount the EYFS, whether that is happening, I don't know. xD

Peggy

Hi

I have read the replies with interest.

i have a degree in childhood studies and it is only 2 and a bit years old, but i have still been told this course would be beneficial for me (maybe i am being mis-informed?). i am personally hoping to take away from it strategies for implementing EYFS correctly, (or at least as best as we can!). i am hoping to be able to then give the staff at nursery some in house training on it.

i am still slightly unsure if it is the best thing for me to do, but then again i did decide in january that i would do some studying this year :o I have been told that i may be able to credit some of my degree work and EYPS work towards some of the units so i may have less work than other candidates to do, i also think that the colleges take into account the experience you have and the role you work in.

I am doing the course with a collegue and she is using this course as an added stepping stone to help her get onto a foundation degree course in september.

Dawn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)