Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Remeber When........

Lamb Chop

The lisp!! and looking at the Sunday joint and wondering how could dad! :o

Sunday tea-time-Holiday with Cliff Mitchell-moor-think that was his name.Dad watching with me xD (think he was spotting topless sunbathers as you didn't get many on the East coast) All those exotic places we would never go ...doesn't the world shrink?

Ski sunday-is he isn't he gone in fall?-taking bets as a family

Hot water bottles and warming a penny in your hand to make a spy hole in the frost on the inside of the window! Sheets and blankets so heavy you couldn't breath.

Knowing the postman/milkman by their first name.Butcher and baker knowing what mum wanted when I was sent with a purse on a saturday morning.The COOP being a big supermarket!

Being sent to the papershop for Grandads Embassy cigerettes and being sold them!! He also had some with a very nice sailor on the front???

The children's bedtime programme just before the six o'clock news-usually a short 5 mins Magic Roundabout-Herb Garden-Hectors house

I remember that if I was washed, in my jim jams and teeth cleaned I was allowed to stay up and watch Casey Jones

(Hmm, is that you I can hear singing the theme tune? Don't forget the 'whooo whooo' at the end!)

He also had some with a very nice sailor on the front???

I think they were Senior Service - my father-in-law used to smoke them.

I remember Torchy, but thought he was ITV when it first came out. We didn't have it, so I'd go to my friend's house to watch it, which leads me to believe it wasn't a Sunday, as Sundays were SACRED in those days. You didn't casually visit a schoolfriend!!!

Not trying to be argumentative, honestly !

I remember Twizzle and Sara Brown and Hoppity and watching Thunderbirds and being in love with Virgil ( see, I can really do sad). My first record was Gerry and the Pacemakers 'I llike it'

it cost 6/8 (about 33p). My sister had a Cliff Richard EP (remember those?) which she would play over and over again. I remember the 'free' poster each week in Jackie and sellotaping them to my bedroom wall - I don't think bluetak had been invented. I remember the Christmas I was given a personal radio with an earpiece, it was about the size of a house brick and never really worked, of course we were still listening to Pick of the Pops with 'Fluff' Freeman on the wireless in those days.Does anyone else remember the sneaker craze? They were denim blue with a thin red line round the soles, God I fancied myself in them! This was after my love affair with bri -nylon trousers with stirrup bits under your feet. Ah me, happy days.

Posy

No, but I remember Shari Lewis, Lamb Chop and Charlie Horse....! :o

Lamb chop! There was also a little boy marionette-type puppet whose name I just can't remember. Can you remember Saturday Night at the London Palladium? Whatever happened to Variety?

For some reason I also keep remembering daytime tv I watched when I was off sick from school: Crown Court was my favourite. There was also Pebble Mill at One - it all sounds so cosy, doesn't it?

And can anyone remember Googie Withers in Within These Walls? Can you see a theme emerging here: court cases and prisoners... and possibly the most criminal tv show ever - Crossroads!

You know, nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Maz

Guest MaryEMac

We didn't have a TV , so when I was 2 or 3 my mum used to take me up to the neighbours to see Watch with Mother. Woodentops was my favourite but I also remember Tales of the riverbank.

When we finally got a telly just after I started school I can remember watching something called Pussycat Willum with Wally Whyton. At least I think that's what it was called, my memory isn't what it was :o . I seem to have a lot of senior moments!!

Mary

I liked Pogles Wood and another Watch with Mother called "Joe" - no movement in it, just pictures, about a little boy called Joe whose parents ran a transport cafe - I've still got the annuals. There was always a point in the story when he cried but it was always OK by the end. Anyone else remember that one? And I can still sing all the tunes from the Herb Garden and Camberwick Green! :o

• 4 weeks later...

oh i remember so much freedom when playing outside

the daisy chains

th rose petal perfume

bug catching in stork tubs

home made wooden skate boards using old tie on roller skates

collecting the return bottles of lemonade and fizzy pop and getting 2p each bottle

and just to bring the tone down

i dont know why but i was fascinated by dog poo does anybody else remeber white dog poo lol

i dont know why but i was fascinated by dog poo does anybody else remeber white dog poo lol

Ah but didn't you need warm, dry weather for dog poo to turn white? Not much chance of that, these days!

And of course people scoop the poop these days before it goes white...

Maz

Happymaz I have learnt something new.....I didn't know the reason why some dog poo was white ¬¬xD You learn something new everyday !!!!!!

Don't bank on it Sue - could just be that there are fewer anaemic dogs around these days! :o

Maz

I remember hearing that white dog poo was the result of dogs eating bones from the butchers. It seems we tend to give only canned food these days, hence no white poo.

I cant believe I know that :o

Are there no Forum members married to a vet? I'm sure they'd know if you're right Rea!

I wonder if its something to do with calcium?

I can't actually believe I'm having this conversation!

Maz

But doesnt it make you think, when you see a child staring at something or handling something that they could be building a memory? I love watching that concentration face or the face of wonder or understanding.

Aint they great?

Shame they wont have anything quite so enthralling as the colour of poo to busy themselves with in 30 or so years time

:o

Guest Wolfie

I've jusy asked my husband if her remembers it...and he does! He asked why I had suddenly thought of it and I've had to lie!! He thinks I only talk about work on this forum!!! :oxD

I too remember the white dog poo, as the youngest sibling of four children it was my job to clear up after our dog suki, :(

We had a large garden and I'm going on the theory of exposure to air turns it white. ( don't ask me why, I don't know :o )

Peggy

p.s. just asked my husband does he remember white poo and he said most emphatically "yes, it's poodle poo" I asked why is it poodle poo and he said very matter of factly, "because poodles poo white poo" . One of our foster children asked " What made you think of that?" and hubby said, "She's obviously on the internet on her forum" Ah, he knows me ( and the forum) too well. xD

Ok done a google on 'white dog poo' xD and got 220,000 results :o

"The disappearance of white dog poo is down to what dogs eat these days.

White dog poop is the calcium left behind as the water evaporates, and the 'organic' components of the poop are consumed (in various ways) leaving the inorganic stuff behind.

But nowadays dogs don't eat as much bone as they used to, including bone meal. Also, tighter regulation on dogs crapping on pavements means that turds don't hang around for years in public places like they used to, giving them less opportunity to dry out and turn white."

Can we move onto something else??? I eating my tea!!!!!

Hubby's been on the PC and I forgot the history stays in the google search box :o

"WHOSE been search for 'white dog poo' ????"

"me" (giggling)

"I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!!"

he-he-he xD:(

Does anybody remember the Chocolate bar called Cabana's i used to love those, why don't they still do them,...... coconut, cherries, caramel all covered in chocolate... delicious