Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Remeber When........

loving this thread. Spent time every week cutting out the doll shape from the back of Barbie and the tab clothes to go onto it. Made rose petal perfume too. Used to have a 'stall' at the top of our street to raise money for the RSPCA and tried to sell some! Can't remember if anyone was stupid enough to buy it :o Also remember the coconut shreds which I remember as 'Spanish Gold' tobaco - used to get it from the cinema .... great, nobody else I've spoken to remembers this, thanks biccy or geraldine?!? Yes I read Cathy and Claire's problem page avidly ... always seemed far more advanced than my problems!!!

Does anyone else remember 'drinking yoghurts'? Basically yoghurt watered down with milk! sold in the 70's? OR the craze for crochet .... my mum spent AGES crocheting me a long waistcoat of patchwork squares - turquoize, lilac, purple and white ... must have been early 70's, I think I wore it once!!!!

Oh I loved my poncho. xD:(

Trouser suits, long dresses to parties, silver sandals, tousers with huge waistbands and loads of buttons and pockets on the leg. My friends mom made all our stuff. Polyester clothes. Nylon bedding. :o

When I was very small, I thought the static from my nylon nighty was fairies flying in my bedroom. :(

Rolled up jeans with strippy socks. Was that Bay city Rollers?

Omo. The story we heard was that left on the window sill it was a message to the milkman, Old man Out!! :(

Did your mum used to make icecream using powdered stuff from a packet and adding water or milk? It was strange. I remember hot pants and my mum knitted my doll a poncho (cant remember her name but she had a bottle and when you squeezed her she wee'd) TINY TEARS! I always wanted a Tressy doll but never got one :o

I've still got my tiny tears, she's a bit worse for wear though!!

I keep the photo to send to my hubby now and then, when he's being naughty! He says shes the scariest thing ever, that would be because of the eyes!

post-3139-1196600286_thumb.jpg

Yeah, done that too Rea! Had to choose the right places so as not to get stung by nettles on your bum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:oxD

Made that mistake many times!!!!!!

Couldn't do the crochet thing - mum was left handed and so I found it very difficult to learn these things from her. Making owls from macrame was our handicraft fashion - and covering Matteus Rose glasses in the knotty stuff.

Was an Osmonds and not a David Cassidy fan - used to play Puppy Love as loud as it would go on my red and white portable record player until the bass nearly blew the speakers. Did the whole Bay City Rollers thing of sewing tartan ribbon up the seam of my jeans - and yes rolled the legs up to reveal stripy trousers. Had a much loved pair of red leather-look pvc hotpants which I wore to death until eventually I grew!

Remember the excitement of finding a free iron-on patch of pop stars in your favourite magazine (for several months I had a round photo of Jimmy Osmond on a bright orange crimplene mini skirt in what might nowadays be considered a provocative position!).

Remember getting my first set of platform-soled shoes and being so proud until I realised my best friend (at the time!) had gone and got a higher pair than me!

Oh well chaps - its just all so last Century!

Maz

Oh well chaps - its just all so last Century!

We are recording social history in the interest of future generations Maz :o

A copy of this thread will be sealed in a time capsule and buried next the stream where my village boundary meets the next valley so that Tony Robinsons great great grandson may unearth it and discover the delights of being a teenager in the mid to late 20th century xD sometime in the far future.

After reading this thread I wore my poncho to see Joseph last night :( and sang along to every song and wished I'd seen Jason Donovan do it (or even Donny :( )

Does anyone remember Bunty comic with dressing dolls on the back. I spent many hours with a friend cutting out dresses, skirts, tops and trousers with the tab that folds over the shoulder. We kept all the outfits in boxes - we had hundreds. They invariably fell off the little cut out doll but we didn't care - it was fun.

Sue J

Does anyone remember Bunty comic with dressing dolls on the back. I spent many hours with a friend cutting out dresses, skirts, tops and trousers with the tab that folds over the shoulder. We kept all the outfits in boxes - we had hundreds. They invariably fell off the little cut out doll but we didn't care - it was fun.

Sue J

Don't remember Bunty - but if you were cack handed with scissors as I was oh the trauma that ensued when completely cut off the little tab by mistake. The wailing and gnashing of teeth...

Maz

Oh yes, I did the Bunty thing too. I had to share the comic with my three sisters and the fighting over the dress up doll was a sight to behold!!

Loved the Osmonds, David Cassidy and the Jackson 5 - later it was the Bay City Rollers - complete with tartan scarf and rolled up trousers. Very sad!!

My mother had a knitting machine and yes, we wore her creations. My sister made ponchos and when she realised she was good at it and all her friends wanted one too she started charging for them!!!

:oxD

My first record was Band of Gold the original, can't remember who sand it. Family weddings of the older cousins, they used to be huge and the kids ate at separate tables. Bet NOBODY can remember the Beatles on the Royal Variety Performance in black and white, my mum and dad made us go to bed then got us up at 9 to watch them :(:(:( . my mum used to wear big skirts with Polka dots back in the 60's me and my sister had red polka dot bikini's that used to ride up in the waves. juke boxes that used to have the record picked up and dropped down. Record players that were in wooden cases so big they were a piece of furniture.

as a teenager wearing short skirts and Midi coats or Maxi coats. platform heels, and my dad's favorite High Chaparral on the Tele. I used to love Blue Boy and Manolito. :o :wacko: xD

oh could go on for hours!!!!!!!!

My first record...Barry Blue...Dancing on a Saurday Night! And I was also TERRIFIED by the Benny Hill song about Ernie the Milkman - the bit at the end about the ghostly milk bottles a-rattling in their crate!! What a sensitive little soul I was! :o

Band of gold was Freda Payne - loved that. Also, There's a Ghost in My House and Walk Away Renee, but the real love of my life was DAVID CASSIDY (swoon, swoon). I must have been 14 years old (don't do the maths!) when I went to see him LIVE at Manchester Apollo. We were so far away he looked like a tiny dot in a white suit - before big screens meant you could see them no matter how far away you were. We couldn't hear him either because everyone (us included :o ) was screaming so much. It could have been Jimmy Cranky for all we knew ... but it didn't really matter. I WAS SOOOOO IN LOVE xD

Harricroft

My poncho came from argentina and I loved it. (My dad was in the Merchant navy).

I loved counting 12 pennies to make a shilling but on decimal day i had new shoes with a (tiny) platform sole and i thought the world would change forever. It was the day sixpence became 2 1/2 new p.

I loved "look and learn" - I still love coming across paintings in galleries that they shared with me, and realising I saw it first as a child.

but so many of those things are really still available aren't they??

Cx

Band of gold was Freda Payne - loved that

Harricroft

Hi err, I think you'll find the original was Don Cherry, February 1956! I have always been very aware of music, even in my pram!!! :o

Freda Payne was September 1970 - I was bopping well by then!! (But not so much to that!)

Sue - how sad am I????? xD

and PS, it charted again in September 1983 for Sylvester. where's the nerdy smilie?

Hi err, I think you'll find the original was Don Cherry, February 1956! I have always been very aware of music, even in my pram!!! :o

Freda Payne was September 1970 - I was bopping well by then!! (But not so much to that!)

I stand corrected Sue - I wasn't around in 1956 :( (Sue!! I didn't realise you were THAT OLD xD )

Well I went to a Billy Fury concert. I remember the Beatles from day one. Sang in a supporting group to the Zombies of 'Well no-one told me about it' fame. Went to Oh What a lovely War, and to the original Beyond the Fringe with all those wonderful people in it. I also went to Hair which was oh so shocking in those days.

I remember my Mum's ration book, and the days when we had snow every Winter. When an Xmas stocking was very simple with a tangerine, some nuts, a pencil and chocolate money and a sugar mouse.

I went to a Rolling Stones concert at the Brighton Pavillion(Counld not hear a thing for all the screaming) also Marty Wild ,Billy Fury, Joe Brown concerts ect

and The Beatles Hard Days Night picture. I had a 6ft tall Cliff Richard poster on my bedroom wall He was the first thing I saw when I woke up!

My skirts were so short they just covered my bottom and my hair was backcombed with two kiss curls at each side (Cilla Black style)

Anyone remember Torchy the battery boy, Sunday tea times on the BBC

or is it just me this old? The title song was Torchy Torchy the battery boy Hes a walking, talking toy ...... :o