Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Temperature

I know there has been a topic discussing the recommended temperatures for children at Pre-school. I can't find it at the moment, so does anyone know what the temperature should be.

We are in a church hall and today when I went in at 7.45 it was only 12 degs. It went up to 14 but had only got to 16 when we left. We did lots of jumping, skipping, etc. None of the children complained about being cold but one of my staff was feeling chilly. We are in an old church hall and the ceilings are very high (I bet it's lovely and warm way up high !!) I have contacted the church today and informed them - they are very good and will do all they can but I'm not sure they can do much at the moment.

Sue J

I remember this discussion last year, i thought they said it was 18. I was thinking about this today as well, as we are in a curch hall and it was only 16 where we were, i''m home in front of the fire getting warm now!!! thinking of putting on extra layers tomorrow

Not a hundred per cent sure but I was always under the impression that legal temperature had to be 16 or you could not open

I asked my local early years team this question and they told me there wasn't a minimum temperature. It is up to the registered person to ensure the temperature is warm enough!

I'm going to a childcare forum meeting this week - all about urban myths regarding childcare. Will ask them again!

Maz

PS If anyone else has any urban myths they'd like to check out please let me know and I'll see if they know the answer... But only childcare ones :o

we also struggle with temp being in a village hall.

we have 2 not very good heaters in our room plus hot air heating which heats all rooms in the hall which when on is great but when exercise classes are on (4 times a week) they turn off heating because they're too hot!!

if we have to go with a legal requirement what happens with our continuous provision??

children are in and out can't always have door closed

If you check the HSE goverment website then there is a minimum leagl temp but no maximum temp the legal minimum workforce temperature is 16 and as staff are working in the setting and it is a work place they are covered by this. We had a problem with our setting temp was only 14 and we had to close until the heating was rectified.

I've always advised settings that the minimum temperature is 16 degrees for active work i.e. staff and children moving around, as most others have said.

I seem to remember 18 degrees being mentioned for sedentary workers (i.e. office-based) staff.

There is no maximum temperature as it is up to the setting to ensure that windows are open, fans are on, children have access to water etc.

Some work places are exempt from minimum temps due to the nature of the work i.e. butchers in supermarkets using walk-in freezers, but again, the employer has to ensure that the correct clothing/risk assessments are in place.

well I am shocked for years I remember always being told the room should be between 18-21 degrees for preschool children I have just looked in the national standards to quote the figures for everyone but it only states -

"paragraph 4.5 - Rooms are maintained at an adequate temperature"

I was sure it stated a specific temperature but it doesnt may be the temperature is only mentioned in the guidelines or was it an old Social services requirement? Im puzzled

must say the HSE seems to have a more realistic approach and they acknowledge that active people do not need such a high temperature (as low as 13 degrees!) we find 15-16 degrees is plenty warm enough for general sessions and when the children are running around active it can still be too warm, when we manage to get the hall to 18 degrees and we are roasting

Thanks for your comments.

After speaking to the church wardens and them telling me what new knob to twiddle (recently had a new boiler), we managed to reach 16 as the children arrived and when they left it had reached 18. It was lovely and warm there today. :oxD

Sue J

Today the temperature in the church hall reached 20 and a member of staff had to take her jumper off !!!!! Mind you, here in the south the weather has been wonderful - really warm outside.

Forecast for tomorrow is very cold but dry. So heating will have to go up again.

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)