Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is It Too Early ?

Has anyone had the same experience ?

I had a letter from a parent whose first child attends Pre-school, on Friday saying "Would you please put LMs baby sister on the waiting list. She is expected to arrive on 17 March 2008 with the hope of starting Pre-school sometime in 2010. The name hasn't been decided yet but I will let you know as soon as we have made a decision"

I was astounded but very pleased that she felt it necessary to put the name down so early !!!!!

Sue J

I always tell parents not to do it before they are 18 months. I don't have the storage to have children's names down for that long, parents move separate change jobs doctors and everything in a couple of years. the amount of time i have lost over checking if a parent is still where they were when they put their child's name down. I think it only causes panick amoungst parents if they have to do it so early.

If thats the way a group wants to go then its up to them but i don't and wouldn't its much to long a time they should be enjoying their child without thinking about having it looked after by some one else.

The only time I can think of would be if you know your Day nurseries have long waiting lists for babies and you need to go back to work. Still every one to themselves

Steph

we tend to say not until the childs born! but I think if parents have been happy with the quality of service then its a compliment to think that they want their future childrens name down on the list, If parents know where they want their children to attend then why not put their names down and get it over and done with?

I always ask parents to contact us to confirm approx 6 months before their child would be due to start for the same reasons as steph mentions circumstances change ect but in general we havent had any problems having childrens names down from birth

We've had a few- but we do have a long waiting list, however I do point out it is our policy to send a letter offering a place - and that if they have moved and forgotten to inform us we cannot be held responsible for them not getting a place!

xxx

When Sam was at playgroup Richard was born and went straight onto their list. I'm with Hali, never to soon. I had a couple of years to look forward to the peace and quiet I would eventually have, only to accept the job there, so I ended up working with him!

It says a lot for your setting that they ar eon the list before they are born. Stick it in file Ofsted get to read :o

Not a problem I have, unfortnately - we always have spaces and so we don't actually have a waiting list. Well, a couple of two year olds at the moment but that's all. Storage of names on waiting lists no problem for me...

Mind you I have had the odd two year old on my Brownie list before now - and they don't start until they're seven...

Maz

We started saying we put children on the waiting list from two. However, we have had parents asking to put them down as early as 12 months and so we have done so. Agree, it's never too early.

We had a mum ask for an application form once over three years in advance-it was her way of letting us know she was pregnant! She didn't actually take one and fill it in-but she did put her daughter's name down when she was only a few weeks old!

Linda

A couple knocked our door today - can they put there child on the waiting list - asked lots of questions fees, education, times.

The child - oh yes. they have just come out the doctors and had the pregnancy confirmed. The mum was 8 weeks pregnant.

Just a little keen - I gave lots of congratulations and smiles...

A couple knocked our door today - can they put there child on the waiting list - asked lots of questions fees, education, times.

The child - oh yes. they have just come out the doctors and had the pregnancy confirmed. The mum was 8 weeks pregnant.

Just a little keen - I gave lots of congratulations and smiles...

Wow Tess - your reputation must go before you!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)