Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cache - Pre-school Diploma

Mrsb

xD Just wondering if anyone can clarify something for me...I've looked on the webiste(cache) but not found anything. All I'm really after is some info on the grading system for this qualification.

I have had a member of staff complete the level 3 & given an overall pass grade.....the only grading system I remember is from school A = very good, B = good, C = average etc does this apply to this? :(

I have asked her about it but she says it's a pass, which I know it is and I have no problem with her at all........it's for future reference really + curiosity :o

many thanks

mrs b

My original DPP was a at fail, pass or refer level but I retook parts of it about 3 years ago as a refresher and it was graded A-E. All were passes but to get from E-D you had to include a bit more of the criteria, and so on. I retook 3 units and got an E on all of them simply because I couldnt manage the word count. There are people on here who have achieved A's, so I'm presuming the grading system is still A-E.

Maybe she got E's and doesnt feel they are good enough. I never felt like that because I was already qualified and was doing it to update a bit of knowledge. But it can be a bit offputting if you havent achieved what we would normally see as a good pass.

Hopefully she is a good worker and is using the knowledge she has learnt, if so I wouldnt worry, CACHE are in my experience fair markers :o

Recent student doing this had as Rea said , they were told when doing it all they would see on the certificate was pass or fail, but in actuality they got a grade added to it... Some just work to get the pass at E as it is all that is required to pass why do more?

it is a case of more input, word count and effort being rewarded with a grade.

Inge

I have just finished the cache level 3.

Each assignment has certain criteria which we have to cover. Each question is designated a number, such as, E1, E2 etc. All 'E' numbered questions have to be answered and if the external moderator agrees that they have covered the criteria then a pass is given.

However, there is an option for the individual to expand on their knowledge and if they wish they can answer further questions starting from D1 up to A1, bearing in mind the word count. You can complete each assignment just up to a C or B grade if you wish or go further to the A.

Whatever grade you get everyone still gets the same certificate. No grade is shown on the Certificate.

On my four assignments I got 2 'Bs' and 2 'As' . Each grade is afforded a number of points. My final grade is an overall 'B'.

Hope this is not too confusing!! :o

Some just work to get the pass at E as it is all that is required to pass why do more?

it is a case of more input, word count and effort being rewarded with a grade.

Inge

Quite right - it just shows you're capable of working at a higher level - and is a good indicator of whether you are likely to be able to cope with further courses of study more readily (or not).

I suppose its about personal satisfaction, really. I've just got an application form from a candidate with a 'merit' for her Foundation Degree. Our Foundation Degree certificates will just say 'pass' whether your overall score was 40% or 70%. Who is to judge whose result gives the better qualification?

Maz

I'm not surprised grades are now shown on the certificate - every time you turn around in this profession something has changed.

Perhaps it is a good idea after all with prospective employers being able to see the depth of knowledge a would-be employee has. Who would you employ, when you have 2 candidates with the same level 3 diploma - the one with an 'A' grade or the one with an 'E' grade?

Food for thought!!

I'm not surprised grades are now shown on the certificate - every time you turn around in this profession something has changed.

Perhaps it is a good idea after all with prospective employers being able to see the depth of knowledge a would-be employee has. Who would you employ, when you have 2 candidates with the same level 3 diploma - the one with an 'A' grade or the one with an 'E' grade?

Food for thought!!

xD I wonder if the candidates were told before that there grade wouldn't be shown on the certificate? If they did know surely you would try your hardest to get a better grade :o Like you say ...who would you employ A grade or E grade?!!!!!

Food for thought!!

The qualification isn't the 'be all and end all' though, is it? I have known practitioners with an 'A' pass DPP who can't relate to children, and those who struggled with the academic work but could identify a child's needs and find creative ways to meet them almost without thinking.

It does make a hiring decision very tricky, doesn't it?

Maz

The qualification isn't the 'be all and end all' though, is it? I have known practitioners with an 'A' pass DPP who can't relate to children, and those who struggled with the academic work but could identify a child's needs and find creative ways to meet them almost without thinking.

It does make a hiring decision very tricky, doesn't it?

Maz

You've hit the nail on the head...........most (!) people have different qualities about them...I have a mixed bag of staff some very very good with the children, some very very good with parents, one who loves cleaning & others who have that quiet spoken voice which the shy children love. Its that mixture that makes our nursery the success it is. :o

I tend to invite would-be candidates into a session to do a quick snap-shot observation to see how they relate to the nursery and it's goings on....i'm usually a good judge of character xD

I am soooooooooooooo glad that I do not have that responsibility! I take my hat off to those of you who hire and fire! :o

Its all the tricky situations in between I find difficult - that's why I'm going on several management courses this term!

Maz (who has never had to fire anyone yet!)

Hi

I'm currently studying the DPP and due to complete in December. The grading has been changed again - it was amended in Sept 06 when I started my course. They now grade pass, merit and distinction and not the actual grades as in previous years. An overall grade E is a pass and I think C/B is a merit and A distinction but I'm not sure on those two. I'll ask my tutor next week and let you know. But as others have said, the grade isn't everything and there are at least 2 people on my course who are great with the practical stuff but find it hard to put it down on paper.

Hope this helps.

Sally

when i got my cache, it said on my certificate:

has passed all units at overall grade A

it showed all the units and the grades on the back,

i also heard that it had now changed to pass merit and distinction, but the marking schemes are still the same...

• 1 year later...

Hi all

Im currently doing this course. The CACHE assignments are marked with the results of either refer (fail) or pass which is graded from E up to A. As one member states there are points that have to be covered to get E grade, other points for D grade and so on. However, even when attempting to get the A grade it all has to be done using a maximum word count of 3500. In my first assignment I attempted all parts and used 3550 word (cutting out a lot of waffle). Feedback from tutor was I needed to go into more depth on certain sections and clarify more...didnt have the available word count to do that so very frustrating! Ended up with a C mark for that one so at last I passed. You aso have the option of resending in your work following the feedback from your tutor but I decided enough was enough and seeing as she didnt actually tate what i missed out on i decided to get on with the rest of the course. Once you have completed all 4 assignments they award you with a grade.

No being observed in a setting I just have to keep a diary and a time sheet which supervisor signs to say that i have done what I said I have.

I am enjoying this course but wish they would update the core unit 2 ...all about panning for birth to 3 and foundation stage!

When I did cache diploma in childcare and education 2004-2006 I always aimed for the higher 'pass' grades as they related to UCAS points which I needed when applying for University courses- I didn't bother with A-levels as the course suited me better and personally thought it would be a waste of two years studying A-levels when I would have still needed a childcare qualification in order to work in a setting and get paid

Having aimed for higher grades still benefits me now though- in the exam I received an A and was one of only 8 candidates to do so that academic year so a short article in local paper (with an awful photo!) appeared which has been added to my CV alongside my overall grades which were on my certificate...not that I'm trying to blow my own trumpet here,I'm usually last person to do that

Hadn't realised it changed and categorised grades in relation to pass, merit etc. I found it a very interesting course providing lots of opportunities to explore different provisions of care and education and still go back to a placement every so often during the holidays as a relief staff which keeps me on my toes.

I agree with mustangsally though as I too had friends on the course who would make fantastic practitioners but because they found it hard to write on paper the grades didn't reflect this and for various reasons they didn't start a childcare career but they will always be able to put on the CV that they have a Level 3 qualification if and when they choose to start it

Good luck to anyone studying now, hope you get everything out of it you want

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)