Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E-learning Credits

Andreamay

Had it confirmed here too, for All providers EXCEPT we dont get it!!! In our area they decided not to allow individual providers to claim but put the money into resourses in a toy library ... thats all fine... more choice etc..... but they have never even informed us there was a toy library....Now I am chasing details of that!!

Inge

• 2 weeks later...

E Learning Credits

After phoning numerous times and being told 'being a Pre-school you are not eligible for them', today I received a letter from Early Years saying that .."The DfES has earmarked a significant amount of money for settings receiving NEG funding to purchase computer software. However, if the money was disseminated directly to settings the Sure Start service realised that most settings would receive only a small benefit........Therefore it was decided in agreement with the DfES that the standards fund money would be pooled together to buy about eighty different items of computer software. This will be available for all settings through the Play-for-all Toy Library network......."

This will probably start towards the end of the Spring term. They will inform us as soon as it is available.

I would much rather have had an individual sum of money. Like you Inge I don't know about the Toy Library here, so will have to start searching them out - AND if the Library network covers a large area how easy will it be to get hold of the software?

Sue J

• 2 weeks later...

If the toy library buys software for use in a number of settings it will have to purchase a multi use Licence which will make the cost of software very expensive. If you were found to be using software knowingly without this Licence your setting would be liable.

We get sent new software from Pink Cow which we have for a preview period before buying so we can play with it before we decide to use our E credits you can find them here PINK COW

we use pink cow too, very good but without getting the credits it can be diappointing to not actually be able to buy the product we have trialed. They are very good and let us use it for longer if we need to but it would be better if we could actually get the credits and the software.

we were lucky this year nad managed to get a lot of the tesco vouchers donated enough for 5 pieces of software and a camera...for only 30 parents not bad ( I did also leave boxes in local gym, shop and WI market)

still no joy on toy library!! and yes and I can see the chances of us actually being able to access what we wnt is going to be very difficult . Time to try a new attack i think.

Inge

• 5 months later...

Hey... guess what...

powers that be have actually decided to give e credits to us at last.....

toy library idea was ditched .....

I just have to declare that we have a pc and send the form back.... amount is decided on number of children we had during a week in January, and has to be spent by August 2006. We also need to keep records what it has been spent on.....they have sent a selection of ideas and recommendations

Inge

• 2 weeks later...

At last I have had my e-learning money paid into pre-schools bank account! After a lot of differing of opinion the powers that be have decided we do qualify for the credits and have paid us now for last year. Our money for this year will go into the bank in July. So now I have to quickly spend what I have just received and then start thinking about what we want with the next lot of money. All extra cash is very welcome but I do feel that it is very restricted to what we can buy. I would love a whiteboard or tablet PC but obviously can't use the money for either.

Linda

We were allocated some credit for our pre-school BUT... we have had to buy the software and then claim back the money. We weren't told about this and are really skint as a group at the moment and would not have ordered anything had we known we would be getting invoiced!

Also we were led to believe we could ONLY order from curriculum online but have since been advised otherwise.

Just be careful out there!

• 3 months later...

Have just received my e-credits money. I plan to buy some software to use on my laptop which I can take into pre-school. Can anyone recommend suitable software for 3-4 yr olds?

• 2 months later...

I have just received elc to the value of £1,400 !!!!!!! to be spent by the end of February 2006. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I have been told the website where I can choose the software from - but there is so much to choose from and so little time to spend it in.

Any suggestions for Pre-school users please, while I go back to the website and trawl through the lists, I would be very grateful if anyone can recommend some software.

We have quite a bit of software that can't be used on our new Windows XP computer (because they are too old and were used on our old windows 95/98) One of the really good ones were the Jump Aheads but they don't work on our new computer. So I am looking for something similar.

By the way I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year - Happy New Year to you all.

Sue J

[software called 'Tizzy's Toybox' is quite nice and has three different levels and covers a range of areas such as matching pairs of socks. early counting. rhyming words etc. I find it really useful when the children first come into reception from their different preschool settings.

Hi Sue!

Hope you had a great festive season :D

We've got some brilliant programs we bought with our money - the Leaps and Bounds series. We bought all of them, 1,2,3, and the music one. The children absolutely love them and as they are progressive, they provide a structure for developing skills. We also bought Flashpro 2, more for us practitioners, as they are great for making flash cards, letter/number lines etc.

If you have any children really new to computers, you could try the Switchit products, we haven't got them as our children have access to computers from the Toddler Room (16 -18 months up to 2.6 yrs), using the large mouse, but they seem a good idea. As it means they will then have to learn mouse skills later we've never bothered.

There are some others, I'll look tomorrow as I simply can't remember what they're called - it's called old age :o !

Sue

we use tizzys numbers which is good

Moles is a very firm favourite to teach early mouse skills, it can be customised to your own needs and childrens abilities.

we have had a trial of switch products and find the children find thm too easy and get very little from them, as they learn the mouse skills very easliy with moles. or perhaps it is just the ones we have trialed.

You may also be able to order DVDs with your credits, we can and have found A Child's Eye View of Festivals 1&2 by Childs eye media very good.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)