Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E-learning Credits

Andreamay

Can anyone help? We have recently aquired a computer for pre-school and need software I read an article about E-learning credits. Does anyone have these already and if so what setting are you?Are they just given to schools? Thanks in anticipation!

Hi

Im not sure what we are getting from our EY dep. are e credits as i had heard they were just in schools...

but we are getting a one off payment as we have a computer to use for software.

Elearning credits are given on the basis of £1000 per school and then a figure depending on the school roll. As far as I know they are only available to schools but that includes nursery schools. THey can then be 'spent' on approved software bought at approved retailers.

Hi Andreamay -

You might wish to re-visit the other topic you started recently on this subject, as there are people who have responded there. You can find it here if you can't remember where you posted it. :)

I'm pretty sure Androyd is correct in terms of who they are available to.

I've closed that one down so we don't get too much duplication.

Regards, Steve.

Hi Andreamay -

There isn't any real difference between nursery and pre-school.

If you're referring to Andy's mention of a nursery school, however, that's a slightly more difficult question, and I'm not sure if I really have all the right answers (help me out here people! :o )

My understanding is that to be called a nursery school, until recently it was necessary to be associated with a mainstream school. However, I believe now, that as long as a nursery has a qualified teacher (ie recognised degree level teaching qualification or PGCE) they can legitimately call themselves a nursery school.

I'm sure you'll all enjoy telling me I'm wrong... :)

I get the impression that it is only local authority nursery schools, classes and schools that are able to access these credits. So anybody who is in the private and voluntary sector doesn't qualify.

And I think Steve's right that you can call yourself a nursery school if there is at least one member of staff a qualified teacher. But these are mostly in the private sector, never heard of one in the voluntary. So they are not maintained settings and dont qualify!

Linda

Andreamay

Just read your posting.

If you go to www.curriculumonline.gov.uk you will find info on elearningcredit - just click on eLCs (eLearning Credits) it tells you in a 'nutshell' what it's all about

As a Pre-school, unfortunately we do not qualify. We have a computer already and plenty of software, although the computer will need to be replaced fairly soon as it's getting old! :o

Sue J

To add fuel to this topic I recently received a catalogue from Granada Learning Group (www.granada-learning.com) which states: 'This year nursery schools and pre-schools in england are eligible for e-Learning Credits for the first time. This new government funding initiative gives you real cash to spend on a wide range of approved software resources.....'. Not being one to miss an opportunity I immediately rang our EYDCP who confirmed we would be entitled to some money although, once they had done further research, they rang me back and said the money would be pooled into our local forum groups (about 20 settings) so we could buy a better selection to loan around the forum area. I think the money is based on a pupil count and is reduced to reflect part time status of children.

Hope this is helpful. As yet we have not received any further info but I will let you know when we do.

challenged our local lea about this, voluntary and private nurseries are eligible for elc along as they meet certain criteria, numbers of children benefiting, and relevant hardware to make it viable etc. details can be found on the website mentioned earlier. Unfortunately not able to access this year as the lea had been unaware of the right of preschools and private nurseries to apply so no money left. Ring your lea and query :o

• 6 months later...

In this months practical pre-school on page 3 there is a statment about all private and voluntary sectors if they have over 6 children and get NEGs can qualify for £10 per child. It says to contact your LEA for info. :D

Hali

When I logged on and saw your posting I opened the Practical Pre-school mag which has just arrived today and I thought - GREAT- so phoned my LEA who said they didn't know anything about it. It's too late to phone around anywhere else, but will definitely make enquiries elsewhere tomorrow. I 'm going onto www.curriculumonline.gov.uk in a moment to check there.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Sue J

We are a small private preschool (Southampton). We have just received a cheque for £138 (e-learning credits) to spend on software - but we have no computer!!!! :o

We are now going to ask around all our parents/friends/relations to see if any companies would like to give us a laptop.....

Carolyn

Carolyne that's great news. I am a privately owned Pre-school as well. Where did you apply for the e learning credits?

I had a quick look on the curriculumonline web site and it still says that 'government funded nurseries' were entitled to the credits. I have previously enquired about this and was told that unless I was a nursery within a school then I wasn't entitled to the e learning credits. Hopefully though this has changed and I can apply for them now.

Sue J

We didn't apply - we didn't know anything about it! A cheque just arrived in the post, with an explanation as to how/where we could spend the money. Amount was based on how many funded children we have. What a pleasant surprise that was. Maybe for once Southampton is on the ball.

Carolyn

Guest alisonjayne

We received a letter on monday confirming that £138 had gone into our account.

Perhaps Norfolk is not so sleepy after all :D:o

I read all your messages and got onto my early years team and they said they hadn't heard of it, so I passed on some of the info. gleaned from here and asked them to find out. I had a phonecall to say that the local authority has to apply for it and now as I bought it up they have applied and we should all be getting some of the pie! :D

Thank you all

Teri

I was at a network meeting this afternoon, our EY link teacher knew about this, but not in a lot of detail. She said that our EYDCP are on the case and sorting it, but it was definitely for ALL providers, Maintained, Private and Voluntary, just the amount is in question - at least in this area, Nottingham City. Try this link

Sue :D

I was at a network meeting this afternoon, our EY link teacher knew about this, but not in a lot of detail. She said that our EYDCP are on the case and sorting it, but it was definitely for ALL providers, Maintained, Private and Voluntary, just the amount is in question - at least in this area, Nottingham City. Try this link

Sue :D

:(xD:(

Have had to get out and get in again, computer is also feeling festive!!! :o

Actually, a perfectly sensible website yesterday is all weird now!!! Apologies to all, try again later!! :(

Sue :wacko:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)