Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Many Supevisors Do You Have?

Smiles

I am at a small preschool and my Deputy has now stepped down. Now there is just me Supervising the staff. How many Supervsiors do you have. One group I know has five. This is the second time I have had a Deputy step down - begining to wonder if its me!! It now means that I cannot have any time off until she is replace and have just got my letter for EYFS training in September. I am wondering if it would be better to have two memebers of staff as deputy. My Deputy that stepped down did not work all session so some days it would just be me in.

Smiles

I would suggest that you recruit a deputy but also name someone as third in charge, that way the supervisor will always be covered.

The thid in charge will continue with their usual job and only takes on supervisory roles when required.

At the moment we have one supervisor (me) the other joint supervisor on maternity leave until January, so I have a named emergency deputy manager.

Your post has now made me think :o because in January when my colleague returns she will be cutting down her hours and coming back as a deputy....so we will basically have

1 x supervisor (me) full time

1 x deputy (colleague from mat leave) 3 days per week

and other staff.

should I have a third in charge also ?????

Lucy's system sounds like a good one to me.

The Full Daycare Standards (2:Organisation) states that "there is a named deputy who is able to take charge in the absence of a manager"

However, in true Ofsted form, the guidance to the standards says that 'any deputy that is employed...'

I was always led to believe that there had to be a named deputy who was suitably qualified to take over in the event of sickness, absence etc. I guess it comes back to what would happen if you couldn't go to work - would the staff know who was in charge, would that person still meet the requirements for qualifications, would there be a person who is willing to take on the supervisory responsibility?

I have one supervisor (me) and two deputy supervisors who each work four days so at each session there is a level 3 qualified supervisor on duty, plus a level 3 qualified nursery assistant who can take charge if necessary.

Am recruiting for a level 2 working towards or wanting to gain level 3 so that I have more flexibility (especially with EYPS looming for me in September). Am also trying to persuade my level 2 assistant who is really working at level 3 to gain the qualification so she can be recognised for what she actually does.

Smiles: when you say your deputy has 'stepped down' do you mean left your setting or remaining at the setting but not being deputy any more? Perhaps you're just providing excellent opportunities for staff to gain more experience and develop their career - I'm sure its nothing personal...

Maz

In your case I would allocate the job as a job share to allow someone to be available to cover all sessions/shifts should you need it.

our staff are all well qualified so any can actually run the sessions, but for Ofsted I currently have 2 named deputies.

I work part time too so we rotate the jobs and get paid for the relevant level of responsibility each shift.

Sounds complicated and probably is but we are never short of someone willing to 'do the job' as everyone can do it at some time, so in effect we have 5 also!!!

Inge

Edited by Inge

Thank you all for your replies. My Deputy wants to stay with us but in only a practitoners role. She is completing her Degree and finds the paperwork too much. St her previous setting she did not do any paperwork . I do the bulk of the paperwork and she has been doing a small amount. I have other staff who are capable but nobody wants the hassle of all the paperwork. I like the idea of having a named Deputy and then a third one.

Another question that keeps cropping. We operate from one hall - have access to an outside area whcih we use free flowing in and out. Should the Supervisor be in the room at all time - this is impossible on days when I am in alone. It would mean I can't go to the toilet, have outside play. speak to paents privatley etc. can't be in two places at once.

Sue

Do you mean you do the outside duty on your own smiles??? Personally if thats what you mean i dont think the supervisor needs to be in the room at all times as long as your ratios and correct number of trained staff are in there but obviously you need to be handy and swap with another staff member if you are needed elsewhere! :o

Guest Wolfie

Slightly different job titles but the same basic structure I think - I had one manager and two deputies who usually did a job share but also sometimes ended up doing shifts together if need be.

Guest roopal

hi sue

i am the supervisor of a pre-school with only 12 children max per session but it has been an ongoing problem about cover for me for training, admin etc. i appointed a deputy in may with level 3 so she could cover, she has now left - not due to me i hope!! - and have just promoted my other (3rd ) member of staff to deputy from september. she will finish her level 3 diploma in december and ofsted have said she can be left in charge on occasion from september. i am recruiting for a practitioner hopefully at level 3 as well or working towards so that any of the 3 of us can be in charge if necessary. the trouble is money to pay all these staff! we need to be virtually full to break even.

i just finished my EYPS and it was a struggle to get any time for study or even to attend the lectures at times (i did the 6 month pathway) without level 3 regular cover to hand. good idea to get that in place before embarking on that particular journey!

by the way i don't know how anyone manages on minimum ratios - must be a nightmare!

roopal

• 7 months later...

We have 1 manager,a supervisor for baby nursery, 2 supervisors in the pre-school and two senior nursery nurses. We have 20 babies and 40 pre-school children. we are open 8 - 6 all year and the rule is there is always at least 1 supervisor on site and a senior nursery nurse in the other dept.

• 1 month later...

We have the pre-school manager and a deputy manager (me) and thats it most times we are both there, we do have another staff member who takes charge on the rare occassions when both the manager and myself are out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)